FEHB and Medicare

We have BCBS Basic and receive no such benefits. Our copays are substantial. Are the benefits reserved for people who also have Medicare?

Are you a Federal retiree? These benefits (no copays or deductibles) are an FEHB plan BCBS benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

A Fed retiree can suspend participation in FEHB, there is a form for that, then reinstate participation during open season with proof you have been continuously covered by a Medicare Advantage plan. Check to see if dependents are treated the same. My DH is very happy with Kaiser Medicare Advantage on the open market so I suspended him. A question I didn't address is what would happen if I passed (I am the retiree), could he reinstate FEHB?

Did you notice that the employee +1 isn't cheaper than family coverage... at least that was what I found last year.

Did you notice that the employee +1 isn't cheaper than family coverage... at least that was what I found last year.
My self plus 1 is a little less than a family plan.

I think it very unlikely if he is not a Federal employee himself, but you'll need to ask OPM. The FEHB Handbook may have the answer you need. https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/reference-materials/fehb-handbook/

My DH is very happy with Kaiser Medicare Advantage on the open market so I suspended him. A question I didn't address is what would happen if I passed (I am the retiree), could he reinstate FEHB?

Back
Top Bottom