Fellow Runners: I MUST get Heart Monitor

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hey Guys/Gals: Need some prelim advice. I'm sending this from my hospital bed as I had catheterization with 2 stents. I had a great run as recently as this past Sunday morning, but by Monday was in hospital and they found serious occlusion. Anyway, all went well and my first question afterwards was "when can I resume running?"
Looks like a couple of weeks or so, but the Nurse Practitioner told me I would likely have to run with "Apple Watch." She meant that generically. When I see the doctor later I'll get specifics, but I think I'll be told I need a heart rate monitor while running.
Suggestions/comments? If I only need to monitor heart rate, should I get a plain vanilla monitor, or one of those Smart Watches?

I have an Apple Watch and monitor heart rate while running. Works great. I suppose your Dr will give you a maximum heart rate for you to stay under. Just do whatever your dr prescribes and you should be fine. Take care!

Nurse Practitioner told me I would likely have to run with "Apple Watch." She meant that generically. When I see the doctor later I'll get specifics, but I think I'll be told I need a heart rate monitor while running.
Suggestions/comments? If I only need to monitor heart rate, should I get a plain vanilla monitor, or one of those Smart Watches?

Could you give an example of a "plain vanilla monitor"? How is it worn? How is data collected? Is data sent to your phone?

Do you have a smartphone? Apple or Android?

As to smart watches, how technologically inclined are you? Do you like to tweak your phone and play with gadgets? If so, a smart watch might be a nice thing to have.

I got a smartwatch for Christmas 2020. Didn't think I'd like it or need it but it's won me over. I have AFIB so it is useful for tracking my heartrate.

If you really only need (or want) to monitor heart rate while running, and you're talking about a wrist-worn device and not a chest-worn device, I guess I'd go with the simple heart rate monitor.

But if you want to have a fun gadget to play with along with a heart rate monitor (and sleep quality monitor, and step counter, and exercise and workout monitor, and calorie counter, and ability to read text messages without dragging your phone out of pocket, and ability to read notifications, heck, the ability to make a phone call from your wrist ala Dick Tracy, etc. etc.) then a smartwatch is it.

So I guess they want you to keep your heart rate under a certain number?

The options I know of are to get a watch that takes HR from your wrist, or a chest strap that sends data to your watch or phone. Ideally you want something that beeps at you when you hit your max target. I'd guess that function exists, but I don't know with which devices. At a minimum you'd want to be able to see what your HR is while exercising so you can monitor it, and back off when you are getting close to the high. I think that rules out your phone unless you don't mind running with your phone in your hand with display on all the time.

I tried a couple of chest straps years ago and had difficulties getting them to pick up my HR. Probably they are better now, but a very important thing is to know that it is picking it up so just a beeping alert function on your phone doesn't seem good if you can't be sure your phone is picking up your HR at all.

I have a Garmin 235 which displays your HR along with whatever else you want a GPS watch to display. I show elapsed time, distance, current speed and HR on my main screen. I like this watch a lot. I've heard some people complain that it actually picks up their cadence rather than HR, but they probably have a looser watch strap. You don't have to over tighten, just have good steady contact. I've never had a problem.

A Garmin Vivoactive HR is a lower cost watch option for monitoring HR. I have no experience. I like the website dcrainmaker.com for reviewing GPS watches. The guy has been doing this for years and has a great methodology, and I've found his reviews to be accurate.

If you're an Apple person already, an Apple watch probably makes sense. I don't know just how well they do at detecting if you've taken a hard fall and not gotten up like those commercials say, but that seems like a great feature to me. If you can make an emergency call without pulling your phone out of wherever you've stored it, that could save your life.

I'm curious, what put you in the hospital? With a family history of heart troubles, and being older now and still running, I'm wondering what symptoms to look for. Last week I'd get out of breath very easily after running just 50-75 steps on flat ground. I've put on weight and not in nearly the shape I was 5 years ago but I still run fairly regularly and even ran a very very slow marathon the weekend before, with lots of walking. I decided I'd wait a few days and try another run in case it was just some kind of bug that limited lung capacity, or carryover from the marathon in cold weather, and yesterday's run was a lot better. Likely I just tried to run too soon after a marathon, even if I didn't race it.

RB,

Shortness of breath from limited activity can be a sign of an issue. Prior to my last heart event I became short of breath at end of a 3 mile fast walk. Rested and finished. Then very short of breath (knew something not right) at start of lawn mowing.

Went to ER, needed stent. Obviously the classic chest or arm pain (esp center or chest), I'm sure you know this.

All the best.

I would suggest you get a watch with a built-in heart rate monitor that also has the option of using a chest strap if needed. I've had mixed results with just using the watch by itself for heart rate monitoring when running but it's usually pretty accurate in the gym working out. Most Garmin devices offer the option to also use a chest strap if needed, I've had zero issues when using a chest strap with my Garmin while running, it's very accurate.

Could you give an example of a "plain vanilla monitor"? How is it worn? How is data collected? Is data sent to your phone?

Do you have a smartphone? Apple or Android?

As to smart watches, how technologically inclined are you? Do you like to tweak your phone and play with gadgets? If so, a smart watch might be a nice thing to have.

I got a smartwatch for Christmas 2020. Didn't think I'd like it or need it but it's won me over. I have AFIB so it is useful for tracking my heartrate.

If you really only need (or want) to monitor heart rate while running, and you're talking about a wrist-worn device and not a chest-worn device, I guess I'd go with the simple heart rate monitor.

But if you want to have a fun gadget to play with along with a heart rate monitor (and sleep quality monitor, and step counter, and exercise and workout monitor, and calorie counter, and ability to read text messages without dragging your phone out of pocket, and ability to read notifications, heck, the ability to make a phone call from your wrist ala Dick Tracy, etc. etc.) then a smartwatch is it.

I love running, and swimming. I do both of them slow, and 69+ years old all of my runs are in the 3-5 mile range. I currently use a $15 Timex watch, not looking for lots of gadgets. As I wrote, I have to wait to speak with the doctor, but I think they'll just want me to make sure my HR doesn't exceed a certain number. In my Google search the Fitbit Charge appears to be all that I need; but I'm still researching. Thanks much for your input!

I have a Garmin 235 which displays your HR along with whatever else you want a GPS watch to display. I show elapsed time, distance, current speed and HR on my main screen. I like this watch a lot. I've heard some people complain that it actually picks up their cadence rather than HR, but they probably have a looser watch strap. You don't have to over tighten, just have good steady contact. I've never had a problem.

A Garmin Vivoactive HR is a lower cost watch option for monitoring HR. I have no experience. I like the website dcrainmaker.com for reviewing GPS watches. The guy has been doing this for years and has a great methodology, and I've found his reviews to be accurate.

I'm curious, what put you in the hospital? With a family history of heart troubles, and being older now and still running, I'm wondering what symptoms to look for. Last week I'd get out of breath very easily after running just 50-75 steps on flat ground. I've put on weight and not in nearly the shape I was 5 years ago but I still run fairly regularly and even ran a very very slow marathon the weekend before, with lots of walking. I decided I'd wait a few days and try another run in case it was just some kind of bug that limited lung capacity, or carryover from the marathon in cold weather, and yesterday's run was a lot better. Likely I just tried to run too soon after a marathon, even if I didn't race it.

Thanks! I added Garmin to my search list. As to symptoms: As I wrote my Sunday morning run was glorious. Early Sunday evening, perhaps a bit earlier, I got a constant low-level "heartburn" that didn't get worse, nor did it subside. Monday morning, I did a 1/4 mile swim and that swim was especially tough. Afterwards, I was particularly fatigued which likewise didn't dissipate. The combination of the heartburn and fatigue sent me to my doctor, and then to the hospital.

I use a Fitbit 4, which monitors my heart rate all the time, as well as alerting me as I cross "zone" thresholds. It also tracks my RHR and other features. There are many fitbits but I think all the current ones do HR.

In your case I'd ask your doc for more info though. These wrist-only things have come along way, but still aren't as accurate as a Polar or similar, with a chest strap. If 5 beats here or there make a difference, go for something with a strap, not just a wrist unit.

RB,

Shortness of breath from limited activity can be a sign of an issue. Prior to my last heart event I became short of breath at end of a 3 mile fast walk. Rested and finished. Then very short of breath (knew something not right) at start of lawn mowing.

Went to ER, needed stent. Obviously the classic chest or arm pain (esp center or chest), I'm sure you know this.

All the best.

Thanks! I added Garmin to my search list. As to symptoms: As I wrote my Sunday morning run was glorious. Early Sunday evening, perhaps a bit earlier, I got a constant low-level "heartburn" that didn't get worse, nor did it subside. Monday morning, I did a 1/4 mile swim and that swim was especially tough. Afterwards, I was particularly fatigued which likewise didn't dissipate. The combination of the heartburn and fatigue sent me to my doctor, and then to the hospital.
Thanks. I am closely monitoring, but yesterday's run was considerably better than the previous one.

Heart rate monitoring with Apple Watch is fabulous, and it’s an incredibly useful device overall, but you can certainly use other monitoring methods including a chest strap while you run, etc.

Fitbit Charge 5 here @ 78 years old. Works well and the software is great. Listen to your Doc's recommendations on what he recommends. Any good smart watch will do most everything. Good luck! :)

I had a Garmin for years, got it when retired 11 years ago. Could download everything as a graph, great gadgetry. Had a bike spill, broke clavicle and pretty severe concussion, out for 5 minutes. Downloaded the Garmin and could trace the whole experience. Rather sobering to see my HR had dropped to 40 from usual resting 65 for about 5 minutes. Anyway, if you're into gadgets and want to follow your health it was a pretty good product, don't recall exact model, was about $400. Chest strap worked OK, shaved my hairy chest. It died after about 5 years and I went to the Apple watch. No chest strap, HR monitored and graphed on small scale, and can set limit alarms. I'd just check out what's available and see what interests you; lots of good products. FWIW when Covid was roaring I thought about the AW 7 just because it had blood ox. Lost interest as I'm trying to avoid upgrades unless really necessary; if I get Covid I'll just get a $35 monitor.

I run about 50 miles a week and will say wrist based heart rate during running is a waste of time. You must use a chest strap to get accurate numbers.

My garmin 245 has wrist based and chest strap. It will default to chest when it finds it for running. When I take it off it goes back to wrist based.

The wrist based heart rate monitoring is excellent for sleep and normal day activities. You can set it to alert you to abnormal heat measurements.

So a combination approach is what you want.

And it is fun to see all the data. If my over night resting heart rate increases I know I need to back off training etc.

I started running many many years ago with a Garmin 305 and then progressed to a 310 until last year. Decided to come into the new decade and bought a 935 Garmin. The differences and capabilities tied to my android phone was well worth the purchase. In the past I always ran with a heart rate strap due to the accuracy and training for races. Currently I run using the wrist heart rate device because I no longer race.

If you have a heart issue I recommend the HR strap due to the accuracy. It can be problematic at times as sometimes you lose the signal due to different factors such as loosening around the chest or not sweating enough. In the winter I would always wet it before a run. Maybe the newer straps do not have these issues but the strap is much more accurate for heart rate analysis than the wrist devices.

Last edited:
If you have a heart issue I recommend the HR strap due to the accuracy. It can be problematic at times as sometimes you lose the signal due to different factors such as loosening around the chest or not sweating enough. In the winter I would always wet it before a run. Maybe the newer straps do not have these issues but the strap is much more accurate for heart rate analysis than the wrist devices.

This is also ancient history but I had a Polar monitor with a chest strap in 2012-2013 and it would lose its signal at the most inconvenient times. I'd be bicycling up a hill, breathing heavily, and it would register 60 bpm.:mad: This was especially frustrating because my employer's wellness program set goals such as exercising at 85% of your max heart rate x days out of 180- so if it wasn't correctly measuring my exertion it wouldn't count. Wetting it didn't always work and I ended up replacing it a few times at $40 a pop.

I'm glad to read here that the newer ones are working better. I rely on my FitBit Luxe (no chest strap) since I also have to watch my heart rate and it's pretty reliable when I test it against a pulse oximeter on my finger.

Chest strap. Fully wet before putting on and I use some cheap medical electrode gel and never have an issue now.

Until the battery runs out.

Chest strap. Fully wet before putting on and I use some cheap medical electrode gel and never have an issue now.

Until the battery runs out.
I started using the electrode gel too especially in the winter.

I'm happy with my Garmin (Instinct) it is compatible with a chest strap too but I've never synced it and just use the optical sensor on the watch itself. I've thought about trying the Amazon Halo and may buy if it goes on sale for $59 again as I do not wear the garmin other than for workouts.

Wow.... good thing you decided to see the doc.

I read that walking is as good for a person as running, could be a choice.

I’m a cyclist and use the Garmin branded heart rate monitor, paired up with my little Garmin bike computer. The monitor is very accurate, costs about $60 and pairs up with my Garmin bike computer.

Am pretty confident there is the same set up for runners where the monitor pairs up with a Garmin watch.

Best regards on your recovery.

A couple of times last year, my wife had some heart issues. In Sept., I took her to the E-Room with a blood pressure of "54 over Dead". They couldn't believe she could talk much less give them a list of her 12 medications by the generic name. She was in AFIB with a 169 heartbeat, and they shocked her into rhythm. She is now learning to live with congestive heart failure. Covid in November knocked her down a notch in ability to walk far--a very common biproduct with Covid.

We have a 45 year old friend that's always been a runner and most recently an avid long distance road bicyclist. He passed out riding, and had to have heart surgery. He had a very slow heartbeat, but his heart beat extra hard when it did beat. I understand this is a common issue with runners--in great shape with an abnormal heartbeat. And he's the opposite of my wife's issue.

And at one point, it's time for a change of activities. You've just got to understand your condition and make the decision on how to live your life.

Scosche Rhythm Plus armband heart monitor and Suunto watch. Don't really need the Scosche, as the Suunto has this function in most of its models.

A bit pricey but it works for me.

I run about 50 miles a week and will say wrist based heart rate during running is a waste of time. You must use a chest strap to get accurate numbers.

My garmin 245 has wrist based and chest strap. It will default to chest when it finds it for running. When I take it off it goes back to wrist based.

The wrist based heart rate monitoring is excellent for sleep and normal day activities. You can set it to alert you to abnormal heat measurements.

So a combination approach is what you want.

And it is fun to see all the data. If my over night resting heart rate increases I know I need to back off training etc.

Hi Glenn,
I hope you are doing well and recovering from your heart stent issue. Please take care of yourself.
I would agree with Captain 3d that a chest strap heart rate monitor is the best option. I have Afib and even these are not completely accurate for me but they are better than wrist based Apple watches and fitbits. I use a Polar heart rate monitor and it works very well.

Take care and best of luck. Hope you feel better soon!
Brian

Get a Polar H10 heart rate monitor strap. For your condition, don't rely on wrist-based HR. You can get a reasonable ECG from the Polar strap.

Pair that with an inexpensive smart watch, like a Garmin FR35. Total is ~$200 ($80 strap, $110 Garmin). I think you can even just pair it with your phone via the PolarBeat app if you don't want a watch.

Garmin straps are pretty good too. I use a Polar to track HRV, among other things, because I'm way into my sports... but it's also far and away the most accurate and I wouldn't mess around with anything else if a doctor was telling me to monitor my heart while running. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom