Fentanyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody responds to drugs differently. Many folks find opioids euphoric, but some find either the primary effect or side effects sufficiently unpleasant that having tried them once they never will again.

I've had various problems with my teeth over the years that have sometimes required heavy painkillers. Apart from the pain relief I did find the euphoric effect of opioid drugs like Vicodin (hydrocodone) and Percocet (oxycodone) somewhat enjoyable when I was younger - but never so much that I was tempted to find an illicit supply once my prescription ended.

More recently I've had some dental escapades that have again necessitated the use of serious painkillers. Unfortunately I've found that now all opioids make me quite nauseous after a day or two of use. So much so that it was preferable to just take Ibuprofen instead and live with the pain. I guess the plus side is that I'm now really not tempted to find a shady supplier.

My DW doesn't suffer from these side effects and was prescribed Norco (like Vicodin but a higher dose of hydrocodone) after bilateral knee replacement. She moderately enjoyed the euphoric effects, but mostly just felt the pain relief. She took these fairly strong opiates for a couple of months after surgery and didn't feel any craving to continue once the prescription ended.

Granted that oxycodone and hydrocodone aren't the same thing as fentanyl and heroin, but personal experience suggests that even extended use of opioids doesn't necessarily lead to addiction.

. . . died from a fentanyl OD in 2020. He died at home in front of his computer one evening. Coroner initially said it was an "enlarged heart" ??
We were SHOCKED when the tox screen came back positive for fentanyl (6 weeks after his death) because we had recently spent 3 nights in his home and there was no clue of any drug or alcohol use.
We knew he was in AA for his alcohol addiction, but was sober.
We believe a "friend" sold him some pills that were suppose to be benzo to help him sleep.
Tragic loss for our family and many others. :(.
Spent the next 12 months in grief counseling to deal with loss and shock.
My 32 year old son (homeowner, CPA, good guy)
So sorry for your loss.

My brother got started with fentanyl while in drug treatment (we thought he was safe there). He came out worse than when he went in. He learned how to mix fentanyl with marijuana. He's been in treatment at least six times and said he learned more about how to use drugs in treatment than in the streets.

I'm sorry for your loss. Drugs are bad. My brother got started on drugs with his buddies smoking some weed in high school. It got worse. It got really bad when a friendly Dr. prescribed pain medication like candy, starting with Oxycotin and finally fentanol. His son found some and tried it. Damn near killed him. The Dr. gave him some more to make up for what his son had stolen....He's 60 now and burned out. He told me he's used every drug known to mankind and the most addicting was oxicotin. That was until he tried fentanol. He goes through treatment ever few years and expects us to throw him a party when he gets out.

His old Dr. was hooked himself and ended up dying from addiction. He also had a veterinarian friend get him some pain killer syringes for his dogs. He needed more drugs so be bought more dogs...

I'm a prude, I've never even tried marijuana. I've seen too many users hurt other people, not to mention themselves.

I don't want to see people live in pain, but there has to be a better option than these drugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
It being Super Bowl Sunday, this may merit a mention. How do you think NFL athletes deal with pain? Here's Brett Favre's account. Says Brett: ""It snuck up on me. It was two pills that gave me a buzz, and then it was four," Favre said. "At its peak, I was taking 16 Vicodin ES all at one time."
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/25/brett-favre-opens-up-painkiller-addiction#:~:text=%22At%20its%20peak%2C%20I%20was,until%20after%20the%201995%20season.

As Axl Rose once said, I used to do a little but the little wasnt doing so the little got more and more.

I haven’t gone through all the posts but this was a good article a while back

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2022/fentanyl-crisis-mexico-cartel/

The same authors in a podcast mentioned the most common form now is a knockoff Oxy (?) pill being sold on the streets. Looks the same as the real thing. Also the standard dosage of the pill has increased to accommodate addicts building up tolerance. The problem is now the standard dose is now a lethal dose for a non user/addict. I think they mentioned they cost something like $4 per pill on the street.

I haven’t gone through all the posts but this was a good article a while back

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2022/fentanyl-crisis-mexico-cartel/

The same authors in a podcast mentioned the most common form now is a knockoff Oxy (?) pill being sold on the streets. Looks the same as the real thing. Also the standard dosage of the pill has increased to accommodate addicts building up tolerance. The problem is now the standard dose is now a lethal dose for a non user/addict. I think they mentioned they cost something like $4 per pill on the street.

That's some fine reporting by the Post, one of a series the paper did last year. Another describes how cooperation between the US and Mexico to fight the drug cartels fell apart in 2019 and 2020. The series has eight installments in all.

It's gotten far, far worse lately:

Tranq Dope: Animal Sedative Mixed With Fentanyl Brings Fresh Horror to U.S. Drug Zones
A veterinary tranquilizer called xylazine is infiltrating street drugs, deepening addiction, baffling law enforcement and causing wounds so severe that some result in amputation.
NY Times 07Jan2023
(free link) https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/07/...Ng8VNAj6zd2vW8QLk194QDZ9uJ9Y2Q&smid=url-share

The photos are heart-breaking

It is a pain relief drug, but it is typically used as a patch on the skin, where it is absorbed slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom