Fidelity Visa Fraud detection seriously lacking

Normally, it is not a big deal. But, it can be if one is away from home traveling and one's CC is suddenly cancelled due to fraud. One guy I know had that happen on his third day of a four week week stay in Hawaii. Getting the bank to send the new CC to the apartment he was renting in another state was a huge issue.

But, you are correct, normally it is not a huge issue if one is close to home and/or has another card available.

Ouch. We generally carry at least three different CCs on vacations for this very reason. Highly recommended.

Since I have been using Capital One's ENO system with online purchases, the number of fraudulent uses of my cards has gone to zero. ENO generates a special use number that can only be used at the merchant I specify.

I didn't realize any credit cards were doing that. I hope Elan Financial adopts something similar. It's a pain to have to change my auto pays every time my card gets compromised not to mention I'm missing out on 2% until I get home and get my new card.

I have 2 credit cards, both which have the online capacity to block my cards. I keep them blocked; I just have to remember to unblock them when I want to use them. The block and unblock is instantaneous.

I used my Fidelity VISA extensively on a recent 25 day trip to Belize. Had no problems and didn’t hear a peep from the credit card company. A few days after returning home, my card got refused at a local home goods store less than 10 miles from home. I have used my card at this store before. I called in and was told that they suspected fraud, although they couldn’t tell me what seemed suspicious. Once I confirmed that the attempted use was legit, my card was restored. Makes absolutely no sense to me!

Get a USAA card. They have locked down my card on 4 occasions in the last two months for charges that I have (or attempted) to make. One of the lock downs was for a recurring charge that has been pulled every month for the last 13 months. It's quite annoying and I am about done with the damn thing.

I have found Fidelity Visa to be overly cautious with fraud detection. That is OK with me. The one time a fraudulent charge went through they took care of it promptly once I notified them.

Overly cautious can be inconvenient when you are trying to buy $11 worth of Taco Bell and your bank decides that it must be fraud and blocks the charge.

Last edited:
I have 2 credit cards, both which have the online capacity to block my cards. I keep them blocked; I just have to remember to unblock them when I want to use them. The block and unblock is instantaneous.

I asked the fraud department if there was a way I could block all card not present transactions unless I specifically authorized it online. The response was no. I'm assuming these features are all available from VISA but Elan Financial choses not to implement them for whatever reason.

I used my Fidelity VISA extensively on a recent 25 day trip to Belize. Had no problems and didn’t hear a peep from the credit card company. A few days after returning home, my card got refused at a local home goods store less than 10 miles from home. I have used my card at this store before. I called in and was told that they suspected fraud, although they couldn’t tell me what seemed suspicious. Once I confirmed that the attempted use was legit, my card was restored. Makes absolutely no sense to me!

I concur, this system is absolutely NOT a helpful way to protect consumers from fraud at all. Whatever algorithm they use flags my bf with ridiculous regularity, and always at the most inconvenient time such as when trying to check out a bunch of groceries that have already been rung up when the line is long behind you and you don't have your transaction record in front of you to know the exact amounts of your purchase history by memory due to auto withdrawals or forgetting you stopped at Burger King for a whopper last week after getting gas...

It would be maybe at least more practical if the system were to send the actual customer a NOTIFICATION via text or something to let them know their card has been flagged BEFORE they get stuck unable to use it themselves, but it seems that it's always we find out by getting screwed up in the middle of a transaction that we have no other immediate option to use to complete. We actually do a lot of online purchasing and have that card linked through our paypal account as well as not keeping a regular 9 to 5 predictable work schedule or daily routine, so this KEEPS happening that he gets denied from using his own money to the point where it's becoming problematic to use it at all. It shouldn't be so disruptive that fund access becomes unreliable or else what is the point of even having the account? They really need to work on this aspect of their service, as it's possible to really end up in a jam if you count on them at the wrong moment.

Heck even their computer maintenance schedule can cause transactions to fail without warning or explanation or predictable timetable. And don't even get me started on how they seem to have a different definition of the words "cash available to withdraw" than every other financial institution I've ever used. There are some advantages like the cashback, and no fee atm stuff, but I wonder if its enough to outweigh some of the embarrassment and inconvenience of getting glared at by a line of waiting customers behind you at the grocery store when you have just rung up a bunch of frozen foods that you don't have any other way to pay for right then, or your phone is on the last 5% of battery as you dial the customer service to find out wtf is going on...

If you ever need to pick one account to use as a backup you can be sure of saving your butt in case of emergency, I would rather be paying that 2% and be able to count on it being approved. This has way too much potential of hanging you out to dry unexpectedly and without just cause. One of those things in life that is only really great as long as you don't NEED it to be.

The shame of it is that it actually could be better with just a little bit more attention to detail, such as a notice to the customer before they end up trying to use it and fail. This is fraud protection that ultimately is more designed to protect FIDELITY than the actual cardholder. They don't care if they screw you unnecessarily with their lockdown at all.

I usually get notification via text and have been able to text back confirming the charge when questioned.

Elan Financial Services is the company issuing and managing the card for Fidelity. They do the fraud detection.

Whatever algorithm they use flags my bf with ridiculous regularity, and always at the most inconvenient time such as when trying to check out a bunch of groceries that have already been rung up when the line is long behind you and you don't have your transaction record in front of you to know the exact amounts of your purchase history by memory due to auto withdrawals or forgetting you stopped at Burger King for a whopper last week after getting gas...

It would be maybe at least more practical if the system were to send the actual customer a NOTIFICATION via text or something to let them know their card has been flagged BEFORE they get stuck unable to use it themselves, but it seems that it's always we find out by getting screwed up in the middle of a transaction that we have no other immediate option to use to complete. We actually do a lot of online purchasing and have that card linked through our paypal account as well as not keeping a regular 9 to 5 predictable work schedule or daily routine, so this KEEPS happening that he gets denied from using his own money to the point where it's becoming problematic to use it at all. It shouldn't be so disruptive that fund access becomes unreliable or else what is the point of even having the account? They really need to work on this aspect of their service, as it's possible to really end up in a jam if you count on them at the wrong moment.

Heck even their computer maintenance schedule can cause transactions to fail without warning or explanation or predictable timetable. And don't even get me started on how they seem to have a different definition of the words "cash available to withdraw" than every other financial institution I've ever used. There are some advantages like the cashback, and no fee atm stuff, but I wonder if its enough to outweigh some of the embarrassment and inconvenience of getting glared at by a line of waiting customers behind you at the grocery store when you have just rung up a bunch of frozen foods that you don't have any other way to pay for right then, or your phone is on the last 5% of battery as you dial the customer service to find out wtf is going on...

If you ever need to pick one account to use as a backup you can be sure of saving your butt in case of emergency, I would rather be paying that 2% and be able to count on it being approved. This has way too much potential of hanging you out to dry unexpectedly and without just cause. One of those things in life that is only really great as long as you don't NEED it to be.

The shame of it is that it actually could be better with just a little bit more attention to detail, such as a notice to the customer before they end up trying to use it and fail. This is fraud protection that ultimately is more designed to protect FIDELITY than the actual cardholder. They don't care if they screw you unnecessarily with their lockdown at all.

I've had a Fidelity VISA for years. I use it regularly, both online and in-store purchases, including grocery. While I've had a few fraudulent transactions, I haven't experienced any lock downs with this card while trying to make a purchase. There are plenty of good cash back credit cards to choose from, if one is too problematic.

Bolded part above: A good reason to have more than one credit card in the wallet. Or at least have an ATM/debit card as a back up. And keep the phone charged.

I've had a Fidelity VISA for years. I use it regularly, both online and in-store purchases, including grocery. While I've had a few fraudulent transactions, I haven't experienced any lock downs with this card while trying to make a purchase. There are plenty of good cash back credit cards to choose from, if one is too problematic.

+1.

I've been using this card for almost all of my credit card purchases including travel for the last few years with no problem whatsoever.

I always carry two other cards in case of a problem. I use them periodically to keep them active but my main card is the Fidelity VISA.

Back
Top Bottom