Fighting w/Chase Bank over JetBlue credits

lem1955

Recycles dryer sheets
I have open ticket credits (4 passengers on a single itinerary) with JetBlue that have to be redeemed through Chase Bank Travel Rewards, (because the original itinerary was purchased that way.) Chase tells me (6 times with different reps including a supervisor) that SJU (San Juan Puerto Rico) is considered an international flight and therefore I cannot use the open tickets that were originally scheduled for a domestic flight. JetBlue assures me that SJU is a domestic flight from anywhere in the contiguous 48 states. I've gotten nowhere with Chase Bank in 6 different conversations. The next step is that I'm waiting for an email from CHase Bank so that I can attach the transcript of the Chat I had with JetBlue reps confirming that SJU is a domestic destination. At this point I don't even have much confidence that will work. Any suggestions?

I have open ticket credits (4 passengers on a single itinerary) with JetBlue that have to be redeemed through Chase Bank Travel Rewards, (because the original itinerary was purchased that way.) Chase tells me (6 times with different reps including a supervisor) that SJU (San Juan Puerto Rico) is considered an international flight and therefore I cannot use the open tickets that were originally scheduled for a domestic flight. JetBlue assures me that SJU is a domestic flight from anywhere in the contiguous 48 states. I've gotten nowhere with Chase Bank in 6 different conversations. The next step is that I'm waiting for an email from CHase Bank so that I can attach the transcript of the Chat I had with JetBlue reps confirming that SJU is a domestic destination. At this point I don't even have much confidence that will work. Any suggestions?

I hate to say it, but I don't think there's any reason Chase and Jet Blue have to agree on the definition of a domestic flight in their services offered. I hope you win your battle.

I hate to say it, but I don't think there's any reason Chase and Jet Blue have to agree on the definition of a domestic flight in their services offered. I hope you win your battle.

Chase says that JetBlue will deny use of the credits. Chase isn't using its own rules to deny the use. Chase seems to be misreading the JetBlue materials. And I can't imagine why Chase Bank would benefit from letting me use the credits for a trip I want to take.

No suggestions. What you're doing seems to be the only course of action. Sorry this sucks and I empathize. Good luck!!

How long ago did you purchase the tickets that you got the credit for? Was it from early in the Pandemic? Perhaps that's what's causing the hesitancy of Chase to honor the credits on any DOMESTIC JetBlue flight? The whole thing sounds ridiculous. I've always found JETBlue to be very reasonable and flexible to deal with. Not so much with Chase! Good luck.

How long ago did you purchase the tickets that you got the credit for? Was it from early in the Pandemic? Perhaps that's what's causing the hesitancy of Chase to honor the credits on any DOMESTIC JetBlue flight? The whole thing sounds ridiculous. I've always found JETBlue to be very reasonable and flexible to deal with. Not so much with Chase! Good luck.

Yes, exactly. I bought the tickets shortly before the pandemic broke. The flights were cancelled. In March 2021 I received new open tickets from JetBlue and was told I would need to re-book new flights prior to Dec 2021 and fly before June 30, 2022. We had been planning a trip to Utah but have decided to go to Puerto Rico instead. I tried to get JetBlue to allow me to book directly with them but they said Chase owned the credits (whatever that means) so I am caught in the middle.

You are utilizing Chase awards, so you have to abide by their rules and definitions.

Last I checked, Puerto Rico is part of the US and US citizens do not need a passport for entry. Why don't you ask Chase if US Virgin Islands is domestic or international? No different.

Chase Ultimate Rewards is a nightmare. I won't even bore you with all of the problems I have had with them. Ultimately after calling actual customer service on the back of the credit card and complaining loudly they actually did what they were supposed to do. They actually went back and listened to the recorded phone calls between me and the Ultimate Rewards customer service and figured out that Ultimate Rewards did not actually cancel a flight I asked them to three times. I can not tell you how many hours I spent on the phone regarding this. Finally someone from Chase Customer Service admitted that they had a new Ultimate Rewards contract with a new company and they were getting many many complaints. Don't give up but dang is it soul sucking. They are horrible.

I just came off a 1.5hr long Chase Travel phone call with an absolutely inept customer support agent and absolutely HORRIBLE Chase travel policies. I am set to lose about $500 in travel credits by midnight today and their portal ("Virtual Agent" - another useless piece of sh*t service Chase offers) is also not working. Completely fuming right now, I did give the travel agent a piece of my mind. The last time I called, I got an agent who was the worst one I have ever spoken to - incomprehensible language was a barrier, but this person also kept getting the dates, and other choices wrong, and I finally ended the call in fear that they were going to book me "accidentally" to mogadishu or someplace I didnt have plans to go to. It was that bad.

This is the most expensive fee card I am on so far - $450 per year and this is the "ultimate" experience they provide? I am all set to cancel the card and go back to a dedicated travel card (maybe Alaska's card as I am finding myself travel them more and more).

(this made me remember an encounter with them - when I was traveling internationally once, and I had to call them for something, and they flat out refused to help me until I cleared the min payment due that month - $25 !!! - I was dumbfounded at how cheap they acted)

I am done with them. It is no easy task, but I am sad to say that Chase has joined the ranks of EA, Comcast in my personal "hall of shame".

I am in the middle of a dispute with Chase/Card Benefit Services regarding a travel cancellation claim. Lot of time wasted for a $508 claim where they only want to pay $209. Seriously thinking of just going into small claims court as I am fairly confidence that any intelligent person will agree with my claim. I have held the Sapphire Reserve Card since it first came out but will not renew it. But Chase could care less.

Like others in this thread, just had a very unsatisfactory experience with Ultimate Rewards. A good part of my challenge was the involvement of Expedia. It was my impression that Virtual Asst piece of crap belongs to them. I was trying to cancel hotel reservations that were booked specifically for no-cost cancellation. The Virtual Asst repeatedly would not recognize my Chase cc number or my email. Finally got through to a Chase Travel person who told me that since my conf # began with a "7", it "belonged" to Expedia and she had no access to be able to make changes. She connected me to an Expedia line that apparently was swamped as no one after an hour when I gave up, ever answered.
Chase Customer Service for Sapphire normally is superb on bank side but for Travel Service it is no better than "Crapcast" and was questionable before Covid and is now a disaster. Chase better fix soon or I am gone next renewal.

Like others in this thread, just had a very unsatisfactory experience with Ultimate Rewards. A good part of my challenge was the involvement of Expedia. It was my impression that Virtual Asst piece of crap belongs to them. I was trying to cancel hotel reservations that were booked specifically for no-cost cancellation. The Virtual Asst repeatedly would not recognize my Chase cc number or my email. Finally got through to a Chase Travel person who told me that since my conf # began with a "7", it "belonged" to Expedia and she had no access to be able to make changes. She connected me to an Expedia line that apparently was swamped as no one after an hour when I gave up, ever answered.
Chase Customer Service for Sapphire normally is superb on bank side but for Travel Service it is no better than "Crapcast" and was questionable before Covid and is now a disaster. Chase better fix soon or I am gone next renewal.

Yup, definitely Expedia. (doesnt relieve Chase from their fu*kup partnering with them in the first place).

I see tons of traffic to:
Request URL: https://vap.expedia.com/vacservice/api/v2/partners/<snippedguid>/conversations
... to setup the conversation, and then:

https://vap.expedia.com/vaclog/log
... to send browser level logs to the backend

Couple of interesting things:
message: "**investigate-timeout-err-11-**iframeEventHandler resource load END, eventType=VAC_WEBSOCKET_EVENT"

Some service is down on the Expedia side.

I do see one of the requests failed from on the Chase side as well.

Request URL: https://travel.chase.com/egcs/v2/collect
Request Method: POST
Status Code: 400 Bad Request

Perhaps this caused a premature failure on the Chase side? Its possible the issue is with a service2service call that is not visible (obviously) at the browser level as well.

Ill add my voice to those who have had a very frustrating experience trying to deal with Chase Travel "Powered by" expedia. In my case, I purchase a ticket via chase travel sold by JetBlue for travel on JSX. JSX cancelled my flight 2 hours before departure. The expedia team would not provide a refund and insisted it was because of JetBlue rules and that the flight wasn't cancelled. The flight was cancelled. The best they would do is provide a voucher for future travel on JetBlue. I had used points to purchase the ticket and did finally get the chase customer service team to credit me back the points I had used.

Are most of the problems with booking travel via the Chase portal with air travel?

Has anybody had problems with hotel reservations booked through the Chase portal?

I ask because I may use a big chunk of my Chase points on a road trip later this year, and since it's a road tirp the point will be used for hotels, not air travel.

Mine was with flight credits (alaska) but I am quite reluctant booking anything via their portal at this point.

That said, booking itself was ok for me (I think it was right after when they had switched to Expedia) but handling credits/rebooking is completely broken. Basically any "after purchase service" is super poor right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom