Finally a good quarter in the markets

FUEGO

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
After six consecutive quarters with negative returns, the S&P 500 index fund (at Vanguard) is one day away from posting a 16% quarterly return. That would be the largest quarterly return in at least the last ten years, slightly edging out the 15.4% returns of Q2 2003.

It is also up around 36% from its early March lows.

Sooo... I guess we'll have a very happy "Post your quarterly returns" thread in another day or two (at least for those who followed the "and hold" part of the buy and hold strategy). Barring an exciting day June 30, that is.

What could possibly go wrong? I knocked on wood before I hit "post new thread"! We are safe. Or tomorrow may be the worst day in the markets all year. However, I'm thinking some actively managed mutual funds might be buying tomorrow (if they haven't already) for window dressing to make it look like they have been holding a high equities allocation all quarter. You don't want to look a fool when you are depending on your reputation as a superior stock picker and market timer.

I find it hard to get excited about it, since I see it as just recovering from the YTD slump.

chart.jpg

I find it hard to get excited about it, since I see it as just recovering from the YTD slump.

When you look at it that way, it doesn't sound nearly as good. But when you look at it your way, we won't be able to celebrate until the S&P 500 gets back to its Oct 2007 highs of 1565. :D

What could possibly go wrong? I knocked on wood before I hit "post new thread"! We are safe. Or tomorrow may be the worst day in the markets all year. However, I'm thinking some actively managed mutual funds might be buying tomorrow (if they haven't already) for window dressing to make it look like they have been holding a high equities allocation all quarter. You don't want to look a fool when you are depending on your reputation as a superior stock picker and market timer.
What could possibly go wrong?!?!??! Just asking that question alone nullifies your knock on wood! LOL!

The quarter end window dressing is already in - most of that was mostly done last Thursday so that the transactions could close by end of month.

But, whatever, we'll see what happens tomorrow! BTW, both April and May had very strong 1st day of the month rallies rather than end of month rallies. This month has been rather flat.

Audrey

If the market tanks 15% tomorrow, we know whom to blame.

You guys can have everything I was paid for the first post in this thread if we see a 15% drop.

Wake me up in mid December when it's time to rebalance.

Oh come on! Don't you get at least a little joy out of counting your coin Scrooge McDuck style? ;)

It has been a wonderful 4 months in the market. Because of that, I have moved 30% of my self-managed accounts to cash (money market funds) for a while. New monthly money is 50% equities.

I am far more pleased with this year than last year :D:D

If the market tanks 15% tomorrow, we know whom to blame.

Sweet! I made the market drop today. Just in time for the bi-monthly 401k contributions to be invested... :D

Sweet! I made the market drop today. Just in time for the bi-monthly 401k contributions to be invested... :D
Yep. Same here -- 15th and last day of each month (or the preceding business day if they fall on weekends or holidays). So as far as I'm concerned, those are usually good days for the market to drop to buy in a little cheaper...

Yep. Same here -- 15th and last day of each month (or the preceding business day if they fall on weekends or holidays). So as far as I'm concerned, those are usually good days for the market to drop to buy in a little cheaper...

Yep - I'll take a 1.3% discount today now that my 6% match is GONE.

Thanks, 401k + taxable account contributions going in today (all equity)!:D

You stinkers! (Not that it really matters)

I knocked on wood - this wasn't supposed to happen. We are still at 14.6% returns for the quarter, not including dividends. Add in 1/4 of the current 2.3% dividend yield, and we are at 15.2% returns for the quarter. Wouldn't take much to get it back to "record" levels before the end of the day.

Soooo, the quarter is over and I'm showing the S&P 500 going from 797.87 at the close on the last day of March to close at 919.32 today. That is a 15.2% increase. Add to that another .6% of dividends, and we are at 15.8% returns for the quarter. Record quarter out of at least the last ten years (by a nose).

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a personal best in my own portfolio both percentage wise and in absolute dollars.

This thread reminds me of the gambler who says "I sure hope I break even, 'cause I really need the money!"

Back
Top Bottom