Finally dumped Ameriprise

BurnedOut

Confused about dryer sheets
I've finally ditched Amerprise and moved everything to Vanguard! It look me long enough, but thanks to a friend and some of the threads on this board, I finally did it.

I was an Ameriprise client for around 15 years. Basically, a friend from high school "recruited" me when she got a job there right out of college. A couple years later, she left the firm and I got transferred to another advisor, and then another. A few years later I started investing on my own outside of Ameriprise, but stuck with them for most of my retirement accounts.

Between the high fees (1% AUM "wrap"), an unnecessary annuity (with even higher fees), and high expense ratios on many of the funds, I finally got fed up. The performance was also sub-par most of the time. For example, last year, my Ameriprise accounts barely did 4%. My "self managed" accounts, consisting mostly of low cost index funds, were closer to 11%.

Most hilarious part was when I told the FA I was leaving, in person, he said he was considering firing me as a client anyway. He called my investment strategies amateurish. And then he told me he didn't need my money because had had some whales on the way. :LOL:

I literally laughed my way out the door... Then I called and started transferring my accounts.

congrats on getting out. They were by far the worst investment advisors I ever had. I was "fired" by the advisor because I didn't have more than $50k (umm because you lost so much money I now had less than $50k), so transferred to a less experienced one .. ha not sure how you could have less experience than the guy who I originally worked with (referred to by a friend).

They were money well spent though.. it was a great learning exercise and painful enough for me to never make a mistake like that again. I hope the same is true for you.

I've finally ditched Amerprise and moved everything to Vanguard! It look me long enough, but thanks to a friend and some of the threads on this board, I finally did it.

I was an Ameriprise client for around 15 years. Basically, a friend from high school "recruited" me when she got a job there right out of college. A couple years later, she left the firm and I got transferred to another advisor, and then another. A few years later I started investing on my own outside of Ameriprise, but stuck with them for most of my retirement accounts.

Between the high fees (1% AUM "wrap"), an unnecessary annuity (with even higher fees), and high expense ratios on many of the funds, I finally got fed up. The performance was also sub-par most of the time. For example, last year, my Ameriprise accounts barely did 4%. My "self managed" accounts, consisting mostly of low cost index funds, were closer to 11%.

Most hilarious part was when I told the FA I was leaving, in person, he said he was considering firing me as a client anyway. He called my investment strategies amateurish. And then he told me he didn't need my money because had had some whales on the way. :LOL:

I literally laughed my way out the door... Then I called and started transferring my accounts.

A nice letter to company HQ might get an apology, but he did you a favor. You will keep more of what you earn.

...........Most hilarious part was when I told the FA I was leaving, in person, he said he was considering firing me as a client anyway. He called my investment strategies amateurish. And then he told me he didn't need my money because had had some whales on the way. :LOL:..............
I'd leave negative reviews for him and Ameriprise anywhere and everywhere possible. Just tell the truth and maybe save someone else from getting taken.

I'd leave negative reviews for him and Ameriprise anywhere and everywhere possible. Just tell the truth and maybe save someone else from getting taken.

There is an Ameriprise SUCKS facebook page :) Your not alone

A nice letter to company HQ might get an apology, but he did you a favor. You will keep more of what you earn.

If only a letter like that could get me a refund on the "account transfer" fees and the pro-rated quarterly "management fee" they charged me.

They get you on the way out, too. :mad:

Congrats! Freedom tastes sweet :).

[/FONT]
Your anecdote is not as odd as one would think. I remember a similar experience many years ago with an agent from some long-forgotten FA company. Adviser wrote a very angry letter to me. It was pretty shocking at the time, as I was in my 20's.
Good riddance!

I had a "FA" begin to cry when I told her I was moving most of my investments (under her care) to Vanguard. Guess that's better than being dissed. YMMV

I read an article the other day when the fiduciary rule took effect...

They said that Ameriprise removed (IIRC) 1400 investments that they used to peddle to their clients...

Now, this is only for retirement accounts as they can still screw you on non-retirement accounts from what i read...

I had a "FA" begin to cry when I told her I was moving most of my investments (under her care) to Vanguard.

Quite a few years ago, my mother moved some of her personal investments from a money manager (MM) in Chicago to Vanguard. Her then-MM told her this was going to be the biggest mistake she ever made, and then promptly "retired". We're still waiting for a problem to emerge. Immediate benefits: no big quarterly fees, no account churning, no cleverly hidden commissions on account statements, no self-dealing by investing her funds in the firm's own high-cost mutual funds, etc.

She still has a large chunk of money with this Chicago MM, tied up in a QTIP trust that will be inherited by my three step-brothers when she dies. Two of my step-brothers are eagerly awaiting her death so they can collect their long-delayed inheritances (neither has ever bothered to get a job). Note to self: try to avoid ever having anyone wanting me dead. :dead:

Last edited:
I read an article the other day when the fiduciary rule took effect...

They said that Ameriprise removed (IIRC) 1400 investments that they used to peddle to their clients...

Now, this is only for retirement accounts as they can still screw you on non-retirement accounts from what i read...

Yep. My former FA was complaining about the fiduciary rule negatively affecting his business. :LOL:

I had a "FA" begin to cry when I told her I was moving most of my investments (under her care) to Vanguard. Guess that's better than being dissed. YMMV
No, I'd much rather have the FA get snide and nasty, it would make leaving an even bigger pleasure. The waterworks, on the other hand, would take the fun out of leaving. But, I'd leave regardless.

No, I'd much rather have the FA get snide and nasty, it would make leaving an even bigger pleasure. The waterworks, on the other hand, would take the fun out of leaving. But, I'd leave regardless.

Forgot to mention, on the way out, he also told me "have a nice life."
I told him to give me a call in 6 months... maybe I'll want to come back.

Pretty sure he knew I was joking. :LOL:

Forgot to mention, on the way out, he also told me "have a nice life."
I told him to give me a call in 6 months... maybe I'll want to come back.

Pretty sure he knew I was joking. :LOL:
I would not be shocked if he calls. To him, it costs nothing to try and he'd have a great laugh about it with his officemates if he got you hooked again. He'll have a cherry-picked obscure investment that "he'd planned to put you into," and, amazingly, it will have done really well over the last 6 months compared to the indexes.

Back
Top Bottom