Financial Advice Columnist falls for $50K scam

I read this before. He sure did things I wouldn't.

I never answer calls unless it is from a person in my contact list, who I would expect a call from.
I get 10 or more unsolicited calls every day so blocking these frees me from a major nuisance and saves time although clearing my call log is still a pain. I’m sure most are legit telemarketers but I would not do trust doing business with any of these companies anyway.

I use the call screening feature on my Pixel phone. That stops virtually all the Robo-calls dead in their tracks. If there is a human on the other end and they respond to the recorded screening questions my phone asks them, I almost always answer them.

This gives me the opportunity to practice my detective work and my negotiating tactics. Also I get to pretend I'm an attorney cross examining a witness.

You have to find your entertainment wherever you can.

I recently got a phone call and answered it as it was on my rarely used cell which I had given the number for setting up an appt.

The caller said my purchase at Amazon was approved for $500 :eek:
I said OK.
The caller repeated as obviously I wasn't understanding the urgency and said "Your purchase of $500 has been approved already"...

I said Great , Thanks... and hung up :LOL::LOL:

I never answer calls unless it is from a person in my contact list, who I would expect a call from.

I wish it were that easy. I have a MagicJack "land line" (I access it via a smartphone app so not a true land line) for people and businesses I don't want to give my cell number to. Too much fraud can be committed if someone ports over a cell phone account to another phone so I'm careful with it.

The problem is that when I give this number to businesses, especially those servicing the house, the people who call me to schedule, confirm, say they're on their way, etc. won't pop up on my list of contacts because they're using personal cell phones. So I end up answering anyway.

I do. Every single call that I can catch. I answer, but I don't say a word. I cover the mic with my hand and just listen. In nearly all cases, the calling party hangs up. I actually think the scammers don't like having their phone lines tied up on dead air. Once in a while, they try again at a later time. Same tactic. Answer the phone and don't say a word. Usually that stops the calls.

My last "unknown" call was in late December 2023 according to my phone log (I last cleared the log in early December). I rather do this than have the call go to my voicemail. I want no acknowledgement that their call reached someone.

Last edited:
I do. Every single call that I can catch. I answer, but I don't say a word. I cover the mic with my hand and just listen. In nearly all cases, the calling party hangs up. I actually think the scammers don't like having their phone lines tied up on dead air. Once in a while, they try again at a later time. Same tactic. Answer the phone and don't say a word. Usually that stops the calls.

My last "unknown" call was in late December 2023 according to my phone log (I last cleared the log in early December). I rather do this than have the call go to my voicemail. I want no acknowledgement that their call reached someone.
If you're not saying anything, the auto dialer is just hanging up. It's waiting for a voice to say hello before it attempts to connect the call to one of the call handlers, if any are available.

If you're not saying anything, the auto dialer is just hanging up. It's waiting for a voice to say hello before it attempts to connect the call to one of the call handlers, if any are available.
Yes, and their system may be determining which calls are going through to a person or voicemail. Those are worth their time to constantly pester. Mine probably aren't. No scammer calls in over 8 weeks, and I am not using a block feature. Until proven otherwise, I'll stick to my method.

True, but in my experience I can say "Hello" and then stay on the phone for 5 seconds, maybe more, waiting for the robot to transfer me to a human but no one talks to me, so I hang up.

I'm like many of the rest and don't answer if not in contacts. If it is an important call leave me a message. If no message I delete it.

I'm like many of the rest and don't answer if not in contacts. If it is an important call leave me a message. If no message I delete it.

If it's important they'll leave a message. If they don't leave a message I assume it's not important.

Yes, and their system may be determining which calls are going through to a person or voicemail. Those are worth their time to constantly pester. Mine probably aren't. No scammer calls in over 8 weeks, and I am not using a block feature. Until proven otherwise, I'll stick to my method.
I don't know if it was a scammer for certain, but my last unknown callers were Dec 11 and Nov 2, although the Nov 2 one shows it was blocked - must have been a known spammer or I had previously blocked. So, my not answering is working pretty well, also. My Moto G Power supports the call screening feature, but I've never used it.
True, but in my experience I can say "Hello" and then stay on the phone for 5 seconds, maybe more, waiting for the robot to transfer me to a human but no one talks to me, so I hang up.
That might be examples of no one in the call center being available because they are handling other calls that were picked up.

Last edited:
There are so many scams:
Maybe the closest was when I called one of my banks about an online issue, the rep told me it was a problem with my computer and somehow I got switched over to a "techie" who wanted to access my computer bill me for fixing my computer. He started asking for too much information. I hung up, turned off my computer and pulled the plug on it. (I am not exactly a techie, but I didn't hear back from him.)

If you called one of your banks, how did you speak to a scammer? Did you call a number shown in an unsolicited email or text or popup? If you used the number shown in the bank's actual website or on your credit/debit card or an official bank statement, how could you speak to a scammer? Or was there some hanky-panky on a legit CS line? Or did the bank call you using a spoofed number?

After you say "hello," have you noticed a "ga-loop" sound when the call is being transferred to a human who then tries to scam you? It is in that short time when I sigh and realize for sure it's a scammer.

I have also gotten calls from human-sounding bots which try to engage me in an actual conversation. It's usually pretty easy to figure out you aren't talking to a person, especially when I respond, "Are you a bot:confused:" and hear a pause followed by simply asking their next programmed question.

I did get a call the other day, some company calling on behalf of Ambetter (our health insurer) but they wanted my birth date. I asked what was the call about and they would not say, so I hung up. I am pretty sure it was a legit call and some HIPA rule makes it where they can't give out any information at all without verification, but I don't care. I am not giving out information over the phone if you cannot even tell me what it is about. If it is important enough, they will snail mail you, even if you have e-delivery checked.

I got a new screener device for my home phone a couple weeks back. If you call and I have not put you on the allowed list, you must say your name and press the pound sign. If you don't, it won't ring through. Robocalls apparently are unable to do that. And if it is a live caller, when I hear the ring and the voice of the caller, I can choose to answer or not. It has been mercifully quiet in the house since I got the new device.

The downside is that I don't get nearly so many opportunities to swear at people.

If you called one of your banks, how did you speak to a scammer? Did you call a number shown in an unsolicited email or text or popup? If you used the number shown in the bank's actual website or on your credit/debit card or an official bank statement, how could you speak to a scammer? Or was there some hanky-panky on a legit CS line? Or did the bank call you using a spoofed number?

I called a number listed on the bank's website, i.e. I placed the call to the bank. The initial conversation seemed legit and the bank rep had my info. You ask me how I spoke to a scammer - I would have to speculate, and my speculation does not reflect favorably on the bank rep who transferred me to the alleged repair service. Do I know 100% it was a scam - I hung up the phone before any transaction could be completed.

Were you hoping it wasn't a scam ... :LOL::LOL:

:LOL:

I used to put the scammers on hold but at this point, simply stopped answering the phone (unless I know the caller) and opening questionable e-mails.

If you read it, you'll conclude anything but.

Would have cost well under $50k to hire a criminal defense attorney to check if there actually were "warrants out for her arrest for cybercrimes, money laundering and drug trafficking."

After you say "hello," have you noticed a "ga-loop" sound when the call is being transferred to a human who then tries to scam you? It is in that short time when I sigh and realize for sure it's a scammer.

Sometimes I can hear that switching happening, and sometimes I can't. Apparently the better systems have got seamless switching.

I have also gotten calls from human-sounding bots which try to engage me in an actual conversation. It's usually pretty easy to figure out you aren't talking to a person, especially when I respond, "Are you a bot:confused:" and hear a pause followed by simply asking their next programmed question.

Yes, the robot with the better systems introduce themselves with a name then ask a question. When you answer their question the system knows they have a sales prospect on the line and either the prerecorded pitch continues or you get transferred to a live human.

When I get these calls I like to hesitate by not answering the question to see if the recording keeps on plowing through the sales pitch or if it switches to a human. Sometimes, for gits and shins, I will answer the opening question with a nonsensical answer like, "Mary Poppins." Once, I was shocked when the voice on the other end came back with "Mary Poppins?" Whereupon I knew I had a human on the line and now I was stuck talking to them.

Interesting follow-up to the subject article. I am in no way ‘making fun’ of the victim but I am incredulous that it could happen the way she described. I am sure I could be scammed…..but NOT like that!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/02/17/scam-tips-columnist-50k/

Interesting follow-up to the subject article. I am in no way ‘making fun’ of the victim but I am incredulous that it could happen the way she described. I am sure I could be scammed…..but NOT like that!
For sure. Once you read the story with sufficient detail, you're less likely to get scammed the same or similar way.

For sure. Once you read the story with sufficient detail, you're less likely to get scammed the same or similar way.

So before reading this story you would have been inclined to give a FBI agent a shoe box full of money?

Back
Top Bottom