Finding a vehicle is almost impossible

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Been trying to find a good used small truck and it has been impossible. So, my next step is looking into ordering one. Right now, I'm planning on looking to get a Ford Maverick.

I know there are folks here that have ordered a vehicle, and do you have to put money down when ordering one? Are there any other tips you can share about the process in ordering a vehicle.

I ordered a 2023 Maverick from our local Ford dealer over a year ago. A few weeks ago I got an email from Ford that it is scheduled for production the week of Sept 4 so I hope that you aren't in a hurry

I haven't put anything down and don't have to take it when it arrives but I probably will.

Last time that I checked a 2023 retail value and trade in value were both over MSRP which I will be paying.

Last edited:
Having owned Fords and Chevys, and having worked as a vendor in a Ford plant, I suggest that you get a Chevy.

It is very difficult to find anything right now. I have been searching for a couple of months now. The Maverick is especially difficult since they are in such short supply. Local dealers advertise that they have new ones but when I call each time it has been a special order for a customer and is not available although advertised on their site. I finally found a used truck last week (not a Maverick) but a 2020 truck with reasonable mileage. Good luck in your search

Last edited:
Had not heard of this truck, had a old Maverick car... hope they have improved...
So I looked them up and a bunch of 2023s with very low miles popped up...
That tells me RUN.

Thanks everyone for your help. I haven't looked into State auctions, but I will be what I can find on that.

pb4uski, that is good to know, thanks.

I think I will go in and order one and I'm not in a huge hurry. I have a Colorado with 200K on it and it has small issues but has been a great truck. I do know it won't last forever so I been just keeping my eyes open for something or an opportunity.

Why or what is the problem for the shortage? Inflation is a huge part of the raising cost and not sure things are going to get any better with price even if inflation get controlled.

Last edited:
It is very difficult to find anything right now. I have been searching for a couple of months now. The Maverick is especially difficult since they are in such short supply. Local dealers advertise that they have new ones but when I call each time it has been a special order for a customer and is not available although advertised on their site. I finally found a used truck last week (not a Maverick) but a 2020 truck with reasonable mileage. Good luck in your search

I'm shocked. I never heard if a car dealer that posted an at best misleading advertisement.

It is very difficult to find anything right now.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. There are plenty of the types of vehicles I want, but the prices are beyond crazy.

Yes, I have called to a dealership and that was their answer. The one had 5 ad advertised as they had them, but all were presold/ordered.

Had not heard of this truck, had a old Maverick car... hope they have improved...
That tells me RUN.
Because scarcity has made some popular vehicles sell for more used than new, a lot of Mavericks appear to have been bought on speculation, either by individuals or the dealers themselves.

I'd like to get rid of my 170K mile Subaru, and a Maverick would be a good replacement, but paying more than list price isn't a game I'm willing to buy into.

In the case of this Ford, the hybrid is the more reliable option. List pricing for 2024 is now well over $30K for a midrange vehicle, and the hybrid is also the more expensive option, so the value is not there.

ON the advertised vehicles... was there an actual advertisement?

IOW, they have a listing of their inventory but I think all cars go through that.. FWIR they say call for info...

OR, is this on a newspaper or email? To me that would be fishy...

Everyone looking at the Maverick how about that Hyundai Santa Cruz . The value with Hyundai for me has always been better than with a Ford.

Dealers have started a new tacit (or at least so it seems). A few weeks ago I found a new vehicle on-line that I was interested in. So I sent them an email to verify availability and get a ballpark cost. Well the vehicle was still there and after a few email swaps they were still asking 10k+ over the window sticker that was already over priced by another 15 to 20k (IMO). And that's after about two days of negotiations.

Anyway, I told them we were too far apart. As I've said before on this and other forums, I don't mind paying up for what I want, but I don't like feeling like I'm being ripped off. (As in this case) So we cut off our communications.

Then about a week later I started to get emails from other dealers offering to sell me a similar vehicle.:confused: (And for similar prices) Clearly they are sharing "prospective customer info" between non affiliated dealerships, which I had not seen before.

Last edited:
I'm trying to replace my full size, single cab, 8' bed pickup.

I can't even find one to sit in, much less configured the way I want it.
It's down to the old big three and the largest Dodge dealer in N. California told me he thinks Ram will discontinue the single cab model next year. Wow!

Been trying to find a good used small truck and it has been impossible.

I have a 2010 Ford Ranger XLT with 75K miles I'm putting on the market (I live in eastern PA). It's in great shape! Send me a PM if interested.

Last edited:

It's down to the old big three and the largest Dodge dealer in N. California told me he thinks Ram will discontinue the single cab model next year. Wow!
I haven't seen new full sized (1/2 ton), single cab PU/s w/8' beds in years. Most/all are extended cabs with shorter beds. I have seen 8' beds on 1 ton PU's, but those are also extended cabs. Makes for a really big A** truck.

Last edited:
I haven't seen new full sized (1/2 ton), single cab PU/s w/8' beds in years. Most/all are extended cabs with shorter beds. I have seen 8' beds on 1 ton or larger PU's, but those are also extended cabs. Makes for really a big A** truck.

Exactly, I should have specified !/2 ton.
Most dealers don't even hear the 'single' cab part and proceed to offer their inventory of quad cab models.

While my heart is not set on it, if I were to get a new car I would be interested in a Toyota Highlander hybrid SUV. On the Toyota site a month ago they were saying 18-24 months lead time. I checked with a local dealer who said they were difficult to get - but in the last 2 months they have contacted me 3 times with "one came in and customer no longer wants it, are you interested". I'm not even on their "official" waiting list. To be on that they said I just have to provide a credit card number as a sign of "good faith". It is not that urgent so I have not done that.

Dealers have started a new tacit (or at least so it seems). A few weeks ago I found a new vehicle on-line that I was interested in. So I sent them an email to verify availability and get a ballpark cost. Well the vehicle was still there and after a few email swaps they were still asking 10k+ over the window sticker that was already over priced by another 15 to 20k (IMO). And that's after about two days of negotiations.

Anyway, I told them we were too far apart. As I've said before on this and other forums, I don't mind paying up for what I want, but I don't like feeling like I'm being ripped off. (As in this case) So we cut off our communications.

Then about a week later I started to get emails from other dealers offering to sell me a similar vehicle.:confused: (And for similar prices) Clearly they are sharing "prospective customer info" between non affiliated dealerships, which I had not seen before.

Are you sure they are not affiliated? I was surprised to find out that a few dealers around here that seemed independent were actually owned by the same company...

Are you sure they are not affiliated? I was surprised to find out that a few dealers around here that seemed independent were actually owned by the same company...
They "could be" but they don't have the same names at different locations around the state like many do. (ex, Mac Haik, Nyle Maxwell, etc) They may be using completely different names but have the same owners for various reasons. I probably could figure it out if I wanted to dig.:nonono:

You might be stuck with 3/4 ton, and look at the fleet type trucks, those tend to be more the single cabs. They also tend to be less high end models with regard to options. Since so many people now use a pickup as a regular transportation, the mfrs sell extended or crew cab models as the most common.

That tells me RUN.

Strange times I think people are selling them because they can make money on the sale.

Dealers have started a new tacit (or at least so it seems). A few weeks ago I found a new vehicle on-line that I was interested in. So I sent them an email to verify availability and get a ballpark cost. Well the vehicle was still there and after a few email swaps they were still asking 10k+ over the window sticker...

When I was car shopping for DS a couple years ago, a common tactic was to start at MSRP but then have a required "package" that included $300 of stuff for $3,000 or more. I suspect that it was a way to try to dodge the manufacturer prohibiting them charging more than MSRP. It may have worked wih some buyers but didn't work with me.

Not in market for one, just did a search of Enterprise used. Bought my 2016 Colorado from them.
Nation wide search showed 3. Stunning. both the limited availability and the priaces. They are all full size3/4 ton 2500s in TX.

Back
Top Bottom