• B) stopped dying

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • C) stopped curling

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • D) started shaving head

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On a slight tangent, I know one or two fairly recent retirees (men) who stopped attending to their hair, clothes and even hygiene to some extent (in this case, ear and nose hair qualify). DW commented that their look is almost derelict, or has a feeling of "Screw you. I'm retired and I can do whatever I want." True enough, though it probably doesn't do much to expand their social network.

And remember that an unexpected breakdown in hygiene and grooming sometimes is an early sign of dementia.

On a slight tangent, I know one or two fairly recent retirees (men) who stopped attending to their hair, clothes and even hygiene to some extent (in this case, ear and nose hair qualify). DW commented that their look is almost derelict, or has a feeling of "Screw you. I'm retired and I can do whatever I want." True enough, though it probably doesn't do much to expand their social network.

And remember that an unexpected breakdown in hygiene and grooming sometimes is an early sign of dementia.

I did something similar in the first 2 months after retiring (did not get to smelly); I then constructed a personal schedule for personal hygiene (and watering plants and cleaning house...).

But I still don't cut my hair.

"Down to where it stops by itself."

Dang it Doc, now I may have to give up my tussled look. DW may confuse my selective hearing with dementia.
rolleyes.gif

"Screw you. I'm retired and I can do whatever I want."

T-shirt spotted in Walmart the other day: "I'm retired; do it yourself"...

Not fully [-]retarded[/-] retired yet, but I'll go either burr or ponytail. No combover, thank you...

Last edited:
I went burr for the first two years of retirement, then back to my regular cut. Took about that long for DW to gain confidence in her ability to cut it for me. She does a great job.

"Screw you. I'm retired and I can do whatever I want."

I think I'm going to feel that way for quite a while once I am newly retired. It probably won't be THAT obvious, though, because I don't necessarily want to look sloppy! :)

Well, maybe a little bit... but not really gross and scuzzy!

For the summer I just do a high and tight. Winter I let it grow a bit because it gets cold in California..;)

the other odd thing i noticed is that the greyer it gets the shorter i keep it.

When I have a fresh haircut, my hair seems more grey. I think my barber can actually cut out the brown hairs leaving only the grey! ;)

Grey hairs are shorter and thicker, natural colored hairs are longer and thinner.

So what we need is a cutting unit that targets short, thick hairs and leaves the nice long natural colored ones alone...

Well, my hair is dark brown. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. O0

I stopped going to the hairdresser every six weeks or so and started cutting it myself. I'm not real consistent just every now and then. Looks Ok.

DW started cutting mine about 15 years or so back. I was having her use the #6 attachment for a few years, then the #4 for a few years. I started using the #3 a couple years ago, and am now down to #2 for about 6 months or so. Funny thing is I got out the #1 last week and debated with myself for a few minutes before deciding to stick with the #2, because I had a press conference this and was feeling a little self conscious about going that short with an impending press conference. Now that's over, I'm already thinking about that #1 again. If not before, I will be going with the #1 the night before getting on the plane for vacation in June.

Have to agree with LG4NB, the more grey, the closer it is cropped.
R

I still get my hair cut and colored at the salon. If my color were ever to change to the pretty white or silver, then I would quit coloring it. So far, my color is not pretty, so I keep going and getting it done. I cut my DH's hair.

yikes! i think i got a little bald spot developing up there. this thread is extremely disturbing to my vanity.

img_655133_0_08edd23946dae8549e5f573a60fb379a.jpg

I dunno Lazy, your hair look pretty good to me! Much like my DH's but with much more curl and texture.

I quit cutting and now at the 3 year mark have more than enough! The ponytail cut line is more than 12 inches. So, one day soon I will donate it to "Locks of Love". They need 10 inches at a crack and turn them into wigs for children with various illnesses. I avoided the salons, enjoyed the time and soon will have short hair for the summer in Phoenix.

I thought about letting it grow long and growing a beard until I saw all the gray bits in there and realized it'd make me look like a 50 year old hippy. :p
Six years and 10 days since my last haircut. I've saved over $300 so far, and I don't look like a 50-year-old hippie-- I look like a geezer surf bum.

These have been the only six years of my life when I've been in charge of my hair length.

Ah, that's where I have them fooled-- I look like that now, so they'll never know when it's caused by dementia!

I have to opt for "E" - no changes. I went through all the head and facial hair changes while I was working and got tired of it long ago. Pony tail never looked good on me and long hair is a pain to deal with. Thought the goatee was cool but DW said my face wasn't right for it. (Hah! I always got comments from female store clerks who looked at my DL during a transaction "Oh, your goatee looked cool, why did you shave it off?")

Funny... back in the 70s when I was in the Marine Corp, a high and tight was out of place compared to the hair style of the day... today a high and tight or flat-top is cool.
When I first started working after getting out of the Marines I stayed in the reserves for several years. Monthly drills meant I got a high and tight every month. It resulted in a lot of funny incidents on the street at work. Most street people around here know that rookies are usually younger and have the remnants of their last high and tight hair cut from the academy. And street people know that rookies can't decide anything, so they were good at picking out the experienced cop to talk to. But with my high and tight cut, my age (very early 20's) and the fact that I trained "problem" rookies who had been out of the academy for months and were sporting longer locks, I was usually mistaken for the rookie. They would all run up to the guy they thought was the training officer and start inundating him with their lies and tall tales: "And then he said, but I didn't know that so then he done and went...etc."

I always let the rookie deal with it to see how well he could handle it. Sometimes he would just turn to me with a puzzled look and whimper "help", and other times he would limp along and do the best he could until I had to intervene. Several times I had street critters sidle up to me and say "Man, you be pretty smart for a rookie, but your partner, man he don't know s%!t."

Back
Top Bottom