FIRE opposites

It takes a certain kind of person who has the awareness, brains and discipline for FIRE, and at the same time emotionally prospers idling this mental machinery.

Similar to the problem of savers avoiding the tragedy of becoming hoarders, falling in love with money rather seeing it as a tool for the flow of life, something JC weighed in on.

FIRE is better though than working somewhere that makes you uncomfortable, ...I think, though I do recommend a very long test vacation to see if your emotional discomfort with your workplace is actually cured by being away from it, or if it travels with you, or if you discover a deeper stressor that was suppressed by your complaining about work.

My current view is that the ideal for the declining flight path is a profession that does not annoy you, in a place of decent weather, in the place of your family roots.

I see the medical pros in my hood tromping into work by choice until there is funeral notice, going out with their boots on.

And the all too familiar "I can borrow the money now and pay it all back with the big inheritance I will receive in five years"

I have to say I agree with all the responses from page 1 of the discussion (that's how much I read in this thread).

My example is my mother, who is 69 and has been looking into buying a new car for four years now and has lots of internal conflict. It is difficult to explain things to her. I am not sure she should even drive anymore but she does need the car to work at the hospital.

I don't agree with the following mentality of hers:
- new cars are the only choice (I guess she doesn't want old car because it costs money to repair). It's an escape thinking that conveniently ignore the cost of the new car

- she puts a lot of her waking moment researching cars (it's been four years), it has become her one of major focuses in life. What a waste of her life. But she could do a lot worse without this obsession (or worry depending on how you look at it)

- she is not good at math or science, a lot of evaluation on cars is based on her feeling, not facts.

My consistent suggestions for her is if her goal is to save money and have a trouble-free car,she needs to buy a 3-7 yr old car with good maintenance record. She likes the car sales people's advice better who have been calling her when new cars come into the lot. I stopped giving advice about half year ago. It's mental stress to give someone you care about the same advice for over 3 years. It's not fun to see her rot but I learned that's part of the job of the children.

I can just buy her a car with cash, but I know she will complain about it. If the decision is not hers, she feels it's her responsibility to find something to complain about or someone to blame.

So that's her way to set herself up to be poor and have to work until she drops because she cannot afford not to. It's unfortunately that she was never given a chance to learn how money works and with old age, she no longer has the capacity to understand money as clear or as deep as some of us who know the importance about the topic.

She could always lease...plenty of older people choose to convert transportation into just another monthly expense...no worries about out-of-warranty repairs.

I guess the "opposite of FIRE" might be that you love your profession, enjoy doing it, and wouldn't dream of retiring and leaving your team even with all the money you've saved up over the years.

That’s an opposite that most FIRE advocates don’t want to discuss

Money as Tool saved it enjoy it

Bill Munny? “It’s a hell of a thing...” been losing a few folk as my age progresses ~ sure we all have. Hard to become a spend thrift after prudent savings but spend the cash after the ROI 4%. Give some away if you like. Asset or two to heirs or charity etc.

Ultimately, we really leave it all behind so buy that boat, buy the car, take that vacation, do what you dreamed - looking at numbers on a screen is not really a security blanket...enjoy Life that’s left.

I plan to spend it ALL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom