fiRE Plan - 2020

Toocold

Full time employment: Posting here.
For the first time, I finally projected out the RE of my FIRE plan and I'm officially targeting March of 2020, at which time DW and I will turn 50. I sequenced my cash-flow out based on 7 passive income streams -- growth dividends, investment properties, deferred compensation, small pension, social security for DW and me, and 4% withdraw of 401k/ira starting at 60. :dance: I also have a "if I were to quit now" and even better "if I were to get fired now" plan, which are very doable. I feel both liberated and a bit reflective as I'm realizing I'm no longer 20 years old. :facepalm: Interesting.

Comparing the two scenarios, I'm finding that it's almost $50k a year difference between quitting now and waiting 3 years. Between living a life of reasonable comfort vs the potential to live a bit excessively.

How should I think about trading 3 years of my 40 year life vs an extra 50k per year? How would you all think about this?

Last edited:
Well, I would think that "since I am 50 and I have a good chance to live 40 more years, what is 3 more to have peace of mind?" The huge majority of people don't retire until at least 62-65 and some never retire. At 50 I didn't even consider it. As most would ask, do you hate your job?

$50k a year difference for the rest of your life, in 3 years? That means saving up another $1.25M at your stated 4% WR (not counting the effect of 3 fewer years on the portfolio, but that's probably pretty minor). Are you able to save $416K/year?

I'm unclear how that 4% of 401K/Ira fits into "growth dividends". Does that mean another stash that you are not counting the principal of (which is OK, just not clear).

As most would ask, do you hate your job?

I don't hate my job. It's stressful at times but overall it's something that I find challenging. I could definitely do it for the next 3 years.

$50k a year difference for the rest of your life, in 3 years? That means saving up another $1.25M at your stated 4% WR (not counting the effect of 3 fewer years on the portfolio, but that's probably pretty minor). Are you able to save $416K/year?

50k a year comes from projecting out cash (ie. passive income from buying another SFR, funding xx more in deferred compensation that get distributed over 15 years). But, saving $400k a year isn't too far from historical averages.

I'm unclear how that 4% of 401K/Ira fits into "growth dividends". Does that mean another stash that you are not counting the principal of (which is OK, just not clear).

Yes to the latter - I separate my after-tax dividend portfolio account from my 401k/IRA. The 4% is calculated just from my 401k/IRA. My dividend portfolio generates a steady stream of cash that I expect to continue to distribute in perpetuity.

Last edited:
I love looking at my old posts. I should have known that something calamitous was going to happen during my target date and I should have said I predict that a major pandemic would sweep the world testing my FIRE plan, and I should plan for a black swan event! Who knew :)

Back
Top Bottom