FIRE & Retirement Accounts

When I see someone in here at 29 asking good questions, things like that 10K limit on I-bonds are not such a thing. They have time to build up a tidy bond sum to go along with stock investing.

Hello,

I’m 29 and married with no debt besides my mortgage. My wife and I are interested in retiring early and have been working towards this goal for a few years now. I began contributing heavily to my 401k account but quickly realized that this may not be the best retirement vehicle if I want to leave the workforce early.

Both of us max out our ROTH IRA and HSA each year. But where should we go from here? Would it be correct to continue 401k contributions to a certain point and then invest the rest in a brokerage for flexibility? What is the path someone retiring early normally takes since the traditional 401k route means your money is inaccessible until 59.5?

Do people in the fire community normally prioritize a taxable brokerage instead? Do they contribute to each one for flexibility?

Thank you very much for any advice you have for us

Buy a rental property when & if the housing market comes down.
Start saving for it now, in addition to the IRA / Roth IRA's. Just my 2.

Buy a rental property when & if the housing market comes down.
Start saving for it now, in addition to the IRA / Roth IRA's. Just my 2.

Could be a good way to go but be certain you have the temperament for it. We had a rental for quite some time. Had the two little old ladies who were our tenants instead been drug addled, wall-punching, child abusing monsters, it wouldn't not have been the relatively good deal that it turned out to be. We actually only rented it as a way to hold that particular property for ourselves when we retired. Otherwise, I NEVER would have considered being a land lord. Just my opinion, but being a landlord can be a j*b. You already have a J*b (and I'm retired.) BUT to each his own and YMMV.

What’s your marginal tax bracket now? If 22% or higher, I’d keep up the 401k. If below I’d switch to taxable accounts or rentals

Back
Top Bottom