Firecalc Modeling Question

ventoux

Dryer sheet aficionado
Utilizing Firecalc, I’m trying to model an upcoming home purchase while at the same time earning $20K in part-time income annually for the next 10-15 years.

It seems best practice to not include the Principal & Interest payment for a home purchase in the “Start Here” expenses page. I’ll plan on accounting for the addition of and eventual subtraction of the P&I with the pension and off chart spending options on the “Other Income/Spending” page.

But my confusion is how do I also account for $20,000 in part time annual income that I’ll have for next 10-15 years? As a contributor to Firecalc (access to manual spending entries) is it correct to assume that I can account for the additional $20K in annual income for the next 10-15 years via the manual spending entries, while at the same time the pension and off chart spending page will account for the house purchase?

Any thoughts, questions appreciated. Thanks.

You could put in two entries on the pension/off-chart page. One with $20k income (forever), the other with $20k spending, starting in 10 years.

Utilizing Firecalc, I’m trying to model an upcoming home purchase while at the same time earning $20K in part-time income annually for the next 10-15 years.

It seems best practice to not include the Principal & Interest payment for a home purchase in the “Start Here” expenses page. I’ll plan on accounting for the addition of and eventual subtraction of the P&I with the pension and off chart spending options on the “Other Income/Spending” page.

But my confusion is how do I also account for $20,000 in part time annual income that I’ll have for next 10-15 years? As a contributor to Firecalc (access to manual spending entries) is it correct to assume that I can account for the additional $20K in annual income for the next 10-15 years via the manual spending entries, while at the same time the pension and off chart spending page will account for the house purchase?

Any thoughts, questions appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, I think what you outlined is the best approach.

Another approach which is cruder is to include the $15-20k of part time income as a pension starting in 2023 and off-chart spending starting when your part-time income will end and then reduce your portfolio by the amount of the mortgage.

Last edited:
pb4uski & OTL - thanks for the input, I'll play a bit further with your suggestions and maybe look at ficalc.app as well to see if that might provide more options.

Back
Top Bottom