Firecalc Q

MrEd

Dryer sheet aficionado
When I use the program and I start off with my spending, portfolio, and years and calculate....I get an answer
then
when I use the leave some money in the portfolio in my estate or if I make lump sum changes to the portfolio I seem to get the exact same answer -as above-with no changes reflected.

I.E., If I placed a lump sum amount of 100 million dollars in a future year I should get a 100% success rate using my normal numbers but yet I get the the same exact success rate lower than the 100% rate expected

Is the program not working or am I missing something?

I am using windows 10

Leave some money in the portfolio for my estate
There should be a minimum of $
left in the portfolio at all times, including at the end.

Optional: Lump Sum Changes to Your Portfolio
If you leave this section alone, FIRECalc assumes no lump sum changes to your retirement portfolio.

Use this section for one-time changes to your portfolio such as proceeds of a home sale, etc. (Enter in today's dollars; the actual amount will be adjusted for inflation.)

Chances are, you'll move out of that big house in the expensive area, and get a tidy lump sum to add to your portfolio. Later, you'll perhaps take out cash to buy your retirement home. Enter one-time changes here.

Add Subtract a lump sum to/from your portfolio
What year

What year

What year

The program is probably working. You're probably missing something.

From your description, it's hard to tell. If that future lump sum is after all the failures would have occurred, then there would be no change in success rate. If I have $10 to my name, and am spending $5 per year, then $100M five years from now won't make my plan succeed - I'll go broke in year 3, two years before my lottery ticket cashes out.

What you might do is be a little more specific. In the top right of the FIREcalc results, there is a "Link with input data" and/or a "Display input data" which you can copy and paste to let people here look at your input values. That'll help too.

There are some known deficiencies / quirks in FIREcalc, but what you're describing doesn't seem to be any of them.

Back
Top Bottom