Votes: 7 3.4%
  • South, Central Amer., Mex

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • NOT FIRED USE THIS OPTION TO VIEW RESULT

Votes: 96 47.1%

• Total voters

perinova

Full time employment: Posting here.
Where is everyone? Why did you choose that place? Would you decide to go there again?

Texas to be with family. Otherwise I'd still be itinerant boater.

florida house for now for family. next possibly itinerant summer apartments & after that likely itinerant boat. have never before had so many options. it's a little overwelming. not yet sure how it's all gonna play out.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
... have never before had so many options. it's a little overwelming. not yet sure how it's all gonna play out.
The heartbreak of ER...

Hard to say. I just moved and am staying with my Dad in NYC for a bit longer. Then I am heading down to Tucson to establish my residency. Then it's off to Thailand (I think) but who knows.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
florida house for now for family. next possibly itinerant summer apartments & after that likely itinerant boat. have never before had so many options. it's a little overwelming. not yet sure how it's all gonna play out.

The delightful curse of a FIRE'd person.

If California gets a separate category, Minnesota should too.   :)  I shouldn't be dumped in the central midwest with the likes of Arkansas or Ohio. 

What about the deep south ala Louisiania, Alabama, Mississsippi?

What about Wyoming, Colorado, Montana?

I know, I am a pissy pants.

I said New England because that's where I intend to stay. House is paid for, family and support network is there. I love the all of the seasons, yep, even winter as long as I don't have to drive during a snow storm. This past winter was nice, all storms seem to happen either Sat or Sun, no worry about commute, it was very relaxing.

We'll probably do some extended vacation time in FL with some friends and relatives but not really winter there.

I refused to answer. No self-respecting Southwesterner will agree to being lumped with Texas. :p

Louisiana - aka New Orleans - 12

Now Missouri - for :confused:? - aka Kansas City.

heh heh heh

perinova said:
Why did you choose that place?
The Navy chose it for us.  We started our careers on the east coast & Europe, spent some time in Monterey, and figured that San Diego must be heaven on earth.  Our assignment officers begged us DINKs to go to Hawaii and fill some of their gapped billets.

After four years we "ran out of jobs" here and had to go to San Diego.  We figured that we'd get over our Hawaii infatuation, avoid "rock fever", and resume our normal lives.  

Couldn't do it.  In fact, every time our planes landed in Hawaii we felt like we were coming "home" again.  San Diego is a nice place to live but to us it's cold, polluted, and even more crowded than Oahu.  The idea of returning to the east coast is more foreign to us than a trip to Japan.

perinova said:
Would you decide to go there again?
Heck yeah.

From the Navy perspective, it was where the action was at (and still is).  You also don't have to worry about things freezing (like sanitation hoses) or have to drive on the surface for six hours to find water deep enough to submerge in.  The Hawaii Navy culture is a lot more relaxed and less ossified steeped in tradition than the east coast, too.  Chief petty officers are actually expected to do their jobs and given the responsibility of doing so.  Officers are actually expected to lead and to think instead of to do what they're told.

Great climate.  Beaches everywhere.  Tradewinds with lower humidity than the Caribbean.  A seemingly infinite variety of cultures, languages, & cuisines.  Exotic flora & fauna.  Different religions & philosophies.  A chance to break with our families and establish some family/tradition of our own.  And then I learned how to surf...

What about the deep south ala Louisiania, Alabama, Mississsippi?

Yes, why are we lumped in with those  bermuda shorts, black socks, sandal wearing Florida people?

Hmmmm

I'll have to work on the Navy branch of the Family(San Diego and Pennsecola) to draw an Island billet so's I can go visit.

Can't be better than Missoura though - right?

heh heh heh heh heh

California is very diverse.  The major dividing line is coastal paradise or inland hell.  Then there is northern, central (e.g. Monterey through Santa Barbara), and southern coasts.  The northern coast, except for greater San Francisco, is pretty wild; the southern coast has been so heavily developed it is difficult to see the ocean.  

We retired to the small town of Montecito, adjacent to Santa Barbara.  It sits on a mile wide shelf between the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Ynez Mountains of the Los Padres National Forest.  For a combination of mild weather and scenic beauty, it is hard to beat.  Thus, RE prices are very high.

But Bakersfiled, Barstow, Fresno, and Tracy are also California, and in many ways differ little from much of Texas, except it is a shorter drive to the Pacific Ocean.  Sure, RE is cheap, but would you choose to reitre in there?

db

But Bakersfiled, Barstow, Fresno, and Tracy are also California, and in many ways differ little from much of Texas, except it is a shorter drive to the Pacific Ocean. Sure, RE is cheap, but would you choose to reitre in there?

db

I spend 9 weeks in Barstow once back in 1980. I don't know what's happened to the place since then BUT.. I wouldn't mind retiring to a place like that. I am not "in" to doing a lot of stuff so I don't live or die by constant external stimulation. (That's the reason I needed to retire anyway) I thought it was a nice little small town.

And it's a few hours drive from Las vegas if you want a weekend of fun and frolic. In fact in those days my regulat home was Las Vegas and I wouldn;t mind living in Las vegas c 1979/80 either but not today's LV

unclemick2 said:
Can't be better than Missoura though - right?
heh heh heh heh heh
Stay away, Unclemick, don't fall into the same trap that we did!

If you have no idea how nice it is then you'll never miss it...

One of my indications that I'd never have problems in ER was seeing an old stoner underemployed handyman in Pahoa. A dozen other homeowners were paying him a retainer to keep an eye on their places, where little or no work needed to be done, and his only "mandatory" expenses were groceries & gas. He said that some days he was so wasted hung over tired from surfing that he could hardly finish his rounds.

I realized that if God had meant mankind to remain carefree or poor then he wouldn't have invented plumbing.

New England for us (MA/NH primarily). Won't change unless a down-sizing is forced upon us (if the house equity was needed).

My parents are pretty much "trapped" upstate NY ... tried to look at houses near thier kids and realize they simply can not afford to live in most places.

At least by living in a high priced area ... moving IS an option.

Florida, Gulf Coast, for a career opportunity with many initial reservations about it.

Turned out almost all my pre-conceptions were wrong. Like it so much that we'll probably retire here, maybe with a northern outpost depending on the kids' and grandkids' ultimate plans. Not sure I'd say the same about other areas of the state, but Tampa Bay is good living for us.

Just don't know, house is all ready in Vegas, but still in NYC and can't seem to let go of my outdoor spot of the corner of Beaver and Broad.

The scenery here is unbelievable for an old perv like me, it gets better every year and last from early May until october.

Sipping a cawfee at Sbucks outdoor seating, watching the youngins strut by, seeing the brokers in their suits sweating and tawking all sorts of gibberish about trades, and I just leer at the L-rds work walking on by..

Hot time, summer in de city, why move to Vegas when I get the greatest show on earth right here.  sob sob sob

jug
oy vey ist mir

BTW- Panama is not the same as Columbia :-\ No drug dealers here. ::)

jug said:
Just don't know, house is all ready in Vegas, but still in NYC and can't seem to let go of my outdoor spot of the corner of Beaver and Broad.

The scenery here is unbelievable for an old perv like me, it gets better every year and last from early May until october.

Sipping a cawfee at Sbucks outdoor seating, watching the youngins strut by, seeing the brokers in their suits sweating and tawking all sorts of gibberish about trades, and I just leer at the L-rds work walking on by..

Hot time, summer in de city, why move to Vegas when I get the greatest show on earth right here.  sob sob sob

jug
oy vey ist mir

Yeah, that's how I feel about L.A... Got this little rental aptmt. with great views and everything around a few corners.
Not that I go out a lot - have traveled enough already...  just floating in warm soup, knowing whatever I could possibly want is within reach... a funky Polish restaurant, Chinatown bustle, designer anything + more, an Armenian contingent in permanent black for heavy moods, Hummer stretch limos I can curse at on Sunset Bvd, Tibetan Lamas in my bank...  It's all here... and no desire to chase it, own it, or even get rid of of it. This is truly what I always wanted: just this.

Oh mama, this must be my ice cream slurpee

Back
Top Bottom