Florida Active Living

inkitnow

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone live in a golfing, 55+ active living community in Florida that is NOT THE VILLAGES?

Would be interested in hearing how you like it, where it is etc. Did you consider the Villages and decide against it? Happy where you are?

Thanks. We like the Villages but might want something a little less Disneyesque.

Southshore Falls and Valencia Lakes were recommended to me by a guy who was on this forum for a few days called Billness. They are in/near Tampa.
His background was selling these types of places outside Chicago, but now is a clearinghouse for many places all over the country, so the information should be excellent.
I looked and see he hasn't been on this site for awhile, so have no idea if he will be back or not. If he does come back, I'd strongly urge you to contact him as he is a source of fantastic information all over the country for 55+ places I should think.

There are so many of these communities in Florida . Most golf communities even if they are not 55+ that is what they attract . Pick out an area first and then look for the community . My sister lives in Glen Lakes in Weeki Wachee and she loves it . It is very nice just a little too remote for me .

Southshore Falls and Valencia Lakes were recommended to me by a guy who was on this forum for a few days called Billness. They are in/near Tampa.
DW just showed and toured a place in Valencia Lakes. She liked it a lot. Great shared recreational facilities, active 55 and older and no kids allowed for more than a few weeks, i.e. no young residents for better or worse. $450K will get you the whole enchilada, but you can spend a lot less.

There are so many of these communities in Florida . Most golf communities even if they are not 55+ that is what they attract . Pick out an area first and then look for the community . My sister lives in Glen Lakes in Weeki Wachee and she loves it . It is very nice just a little too remote for me .

Here is the lowest end house in the community. Not bad but I can get the same house here in the $170k range. Not Florida, but golf course just around the corner.

GlenLakes - Audubon

I actually hope to build a small cabin type house in the country one day. Maybe something like this. Well maybe not..........

Cabin 26

I live just a few miles north of Valencia Lakes and have toured the community. It's very well done with various home types; however, it is not a golf course community. Pleanty of golf in the area but NOT within Valencia Lakes. It's just around the corner from Sun City which is a 75+ community.

That's some cabin in the woods!

Here is the lowest end house in the community. Not bad but I can get the same house here in the $170k range. Not Florida, but golf course just around the corner.

GlenLakes - Audubon

I actually hope to build a small cabin type house in the country one day. Maybe something like this. Well maybe not..........

Cabin 26

Thanks for the photos. At least you won't need to spend much on AC when you build that cabin!:LOL:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but here seems to be so many over 55's there--why would you have to live in a Sun City type place to be with other geezers? Maybe it's just me....(I don't play golf).

I don't necessarily need to live around geezers....but I want to live where most everyone is retired and free to pursue activities, friendships etc. Working folks don't have time to invest in new friendships and joint activities.

I don't necessarily need to live around geezers....but I want to live where most everyone is retired and free to pursue activities, friendships etc. Working folks don't have time to invest in new friendships and joint activities.

I've lived in Florida for fourteen years and the developments with mainly retirees way outnumber the developments with the working folk . So just look for a development that has activities and a golf course if you want one and you are good to go .

My wife and I live about 9 miles south of the villages near Lake Harris. There are a few retirement neighborhoods around here and they cover almost any kind of place you would want to live in. The prices are right now because of the investors selling off. It is quite and has lots to do. There are plenty of golf courses and fishing holes around and some great biking and hiking trails. feel free to pm me if you wish, I can tell you some names of the neighborhoods around me.

rpow53, just a howdy from a guy 30 miles south of the villages.

How you doing kowski? good to hear from someone that lives close to my neck of the woods. I look at the posts every day or so to see whats going on and to pick up good info. we moved here from n. calif a couple years ago and love it. there is always something to do and some one new to meet. isn't life great here. take care and have fun.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom