Florida living

The thread is drifting but, to add to it, I really am starting to despise suburbs (especially exurbs). I like my urban townhouse and would be very happy on a homestead in a rural area (probably not FL as it would be the HOT center) but suburbs are the worst of both worlds IMO.
Even though everything is very close to where we live by car, I'm definitely tiring of suburban life.

I completely fail to understand exurbs, especially for living in retirement. There's huge swaths of them about an hour west of where we live that start at $700K.

Even though everything is very close to where we live by car, I'm definitely tiring of suburban life.

I completely fail to understand exurbs, especially for living in retirement. There's huge swaths of them about an hour west of where we live that start at $700K.

Agree on the suburbs - grew up and still live in suburbs, just because I'm too noise sensitive to handle urban life unfortunately. There are definitely some positive things about suburbs - I feel safer there - but the thing most lacking for me are amenities for older adults. Downtown areas have beautiful parks, live music, theatre, restaurants with waterfront views or scenic cafes from which one can people watch.

Suburbs cater to families: they offer very little if a resident is child-free or an empty nester. "Parks" consist mostly of open fields of grass with multiple softball and basketball facilities for kids. A million ugly strip malls- one on every intersection practically. The big entertainment is dining and shopping. So basically, once you're done eating, if you don't need to shop, you can go home or maybe go to a movie. It feels suffocating sometimes.

Well the city certainly tried to drive the homeless away with creative ideas like playing "Baby Shark" and "Raining Tacos" in a continuous loop from 10:00 PM to 5:00 AM. But they just moved about 50 feet away from the speakers and became even more aggressive.

.........."Where are they going?....I am sure they are going to other places"....

Yep, that's how you fix the homeless "problem"!:facepalm:

We are in the Tampa area and love FLA overall.
Mix of red and blue in our area, which works.
Lots of stuff to do and visit.
DGF loves the heat, which is 7 months of summer for us and roughly 30 days a year where the high is below 70. Temps are below 40 about 1 week a year.

Same as us. Politics seems sensible here too, at least in our county, but saying that it is an affluent one. It fits all our requirements (See below). If we did not own our own home, we would think housing is a bit expensive in the nicer parts. But then again one gets what one pays for.

1) Great healthcare and easy access to it. We are one of the healthiest counties in Florida.

2) For those who need them, there are great top rated schools.

3) Weather is great, less oppressive heat in the summer and a nice break in the winter months. We get about 2-3 weeks of winter, not contiguously though.

4) While traffic is getting heavier, it is certainly bearable compared with South Florida.

5) High and dry ~2miles from great beaches.

6) While we do get hurricanes, they are nowhere near as bad as South West Florida.

7) Big city with Airports close enough for when you need them and far enough where they do not affect you. (Crime and Drama)

8) Well kept city/town.

9) Relatively no spring breakers, no drama. The Cities South get a lot more.

Same as us. Politics seems sensible here too, at least in our county, but saying that it is an affluent one. It fits all our requirements (See below). If we did not own our own home, we would think housing is a bit expensive in the nicer parts. But then again one gets what one pays for.

1) Great healthcare and easy access to it. We are one of the healthiest counties in Florida.

2) For those who need them, there are great top rated schools.

3) Weather is great, less oppressive heat in the summer and a nice break in the winter months. We get about 2-3 weeks of winter, not contiguously though.

4) While traffic is getting heavier, it is certainly bearable compared with South Florida.

5) High and dry ~2miles from great beaches.

6) While we do get hurricanes, they are nowhere near as bad as South West Florida.

7) Big city with Airports close enough for when you need them and far enough where they do not affect you. (Crime and Drama)

8) Well kept city/town.

9) Relatively no spring breakers, no drama. The Cities South get a lot more.

Your area sounds like it offers a lot. I’m hoping there are some South FL towns that aren’t crazy spring break destinations. Our issue with areas further north is the water temperatures, especially on the Gulf side. Not warm enough to swim at the beach for several months a year. Even in SW FL, water temps are in the 60’s to low 70’s for 4-5 months a year. Maybe if we were from up North, we could enjoy that, but we hate cold water and prefer air temperatures in the high 70’s or above.

One more thing: if you like to drive away to see different parts of the country or region, it is difficult if you are the bottom of the peninsula. It takes much of a day just to get the latitude of horizontal movement. People underestimate just how long the peninsula is!

Not legalizing it results in losing out on many millions of tax revenue. There was just an article the other day about how people from my state have given $40M in tax revenue to a neighboring state because they have legal weed and we don't so people drive there to get it. The other neighboring state is probably similar. That is a lot of lost revenue for no reason.

Two sides to this issue:

Yes, especially south of I4, there is no such thing as a weekend trip out of florida without flying, even then...you don't get far. No national park beside the everglades, no hiking, no nothing unless you drive all day to get to NC by night, and a long boring flat drive.

But then to Aaron's point, you don't simply drive to the next state to get something that isn't easily available here - MJ is med only, but pretty easy to get a card, still not recreational and unlikely to be any time soon (no ballot measure mailers in my in box for years at least). Still, you will only smell it in the truly urban areas. Comparing Palm Beach Island with downtown Palm Beach is like comparing the swankiest parts of Malibu with downtown LA.

Your area sounds like it offers a lot. I’m hoping there are some South FL towns that aren’t crazy spring break destinations. Our issue with areas further north is the water temperatures, especially on the Gulf side. Not warm enough to swim at the beach for several months a year. Even in SW FL, water temps are in the 60’s to low 70’s for 4-5 months a year. Maybe if we were from up North, we could enjoy that, but we hate cold water and prefer air temperatures in the high 70’s or above.

That is what your pool is for :). I do agree with you though, I am the same, although there are surfers out there all year, and on those 80 degree days there never seem to be a shortage of swimmers. Good luck with your search.

Agree on the suburbs - grew up and still live in suburbs, just because I'm too noise sensitive to handle urban life unfortunately.

I also have the noise sensitivity issue, even though I grew up in the city. Until I moved away at 22, I thought I was an insomniac. Once I lived alone in a quiet apartment, I immediately became an excellent sleeper.

My Red Tide experience during 2 bad seasons near St Pete/Treasure Island... the odor actually sticks to your clothing, just from walking from your house to your car. I lived there for a few years. I live in central FL now (which I'm enjoying a lot). I'd only consider the east coast in the future, because of Red Tide (which I read will only get worse with climate change and pollution in the Gulf, but who knows).

Exurbs seemed to be where the over-55 developments went up, at least the few we [-]were dragged to by real estate agents[/-] looked at.

I presume the developer sees cheap land and thinks, "Old people like to live around other old people, and they don't need to be near schools or jobs."

I completely fail to understand exurbs, **especially for living in retirement.** There's huge swaths of them about an hour west of where we live that start at $700K.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what your pool is for :). I do agree with you though, I am the same, although there are surfers out there all year, and on those 80 degree days there never seem to be a shortage of swimmers. Good luck with your search.

Thank you.

I also have the noise sensitivity issue, even though I grew up in the city. Until I moved away at 22, I thought I was an insomniac. Once I lived alone in a quiet apartment, I immediately became an excellent sleeper.

We really liked coastal urban living until we vacationed in the suburbs of Palm Springs and noticed how peaceful and quiet it is here. No police helicopters, loud motorcycles, sirens, etc. is something we now appreciate very much. We can drive to literally hundreds of restaurants that aren’t chains in 10 minutes.

Agree on the suburbs - grew up and still live in suburbs, just because I'm too noise sensitive to handle urban life unfortunately. There are definitely some positive things about suburbs - I feel safer there - but the thing most lacking for me are amenities for older adults. Downtown areas have beautiful parks, live music, theatre, restaurants with waterfront views or scenic cafes from which one can people watch.

Suburbs cater to families: they offer very little if a resident is child-free or an empty nester. "Parks" consist mostly of open fields of grass with multiple softball and basketball facilities for kids. A million ugly strip malls- one on every intersection practically. The big entertainment is dining and shopping. So basically, once you're done eating, if you don't need to shop, you can go home or maybe go to a movie. It feels suffocating sometimes.

I think the safety thing is an illusion. High crime urban neighborhoods boost the statistics but most of that is targeted rivals or people involved in illicit activities. I've been victimized more in suburbs (property crimes) than in cities. Of course most violence is domestic/acquaintance so who you associate is more relevant than where you live. If worried about children's safety from strangers, those predators go where the children are so .... off to the 'burbs in the creepy white van we go!

I can always tell who the snowbirds are in the winter time. They are the people swimming in the ocean but not in wet suits on surfboards. :D

Cheers!

I can always tell who the snowbirds are in the winter time. They are the people swimming in the ocean but not in wet suits on surfboards. :D

Cheers!

I've become Goldilocks in the last two decades here. Really not liking the "cold" other than I get to wear jeans and it's great sleeping weather.

We moved down to SWF in 2014. I just never liked the cold, and the heat doesn’t bother me. We do have AC down here, and we have a pool and live on a canal for easy boating access.

Crowds during the season are a problem, I’m starting to look forward to summer. Insurance is also a problem, you just have to look at the cost. We use to live in MO, our insurance was cheaper, and real estate taxes were less. But we also paid personal property tax and 6% state tax. After I totaled everything up it didn’t cost that much more living in Florida.

I havnt read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the bugs and alligators?

And one other thing is company. We seem to have someone visiting constantly in the winter months. I’m amazed at how popular we have become.

Last edited:
I kind of want to live in Florida at some point, mostly for the boating and fishing. I like it here in Washington state, and love the snow activities (skiing and snowmobile riding) but I miss being able to jump off my sailboat and take a swim. The water in the sound is always brrrr, even in summer.

We moved down to SWF in 2014. I just never liked the cold, and the heat doesn’t bother me. We do have AC down here, and we have a pool and live on a canal for easy boating access.

Crowds during the season are a problem, I’m starting to look forward to summer. Insurance is also a problem, you just have to look at the cost. We use to live in MO, our insurance was cheaper, and real estate taxes were less. But we also paid personal property tax and 6% state tax. After I totaled everything up it didn’t cost that much more living in Florida.

I havnt read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the bugs and alligators?

And one other thing is company. We seem to have someone visiting constantly in the winter months. I’m amazed at how popular we have become.

Ha ha, I’m sure company has come out of the woodwork! I’m aware of the bugs, alligators and snakes. Is it possible to get a home on a canal with higher elevation, or are most/all homes on canals likely to flood if a hurricane hits the area? We like the idea of having a small boat and our own dock, but don’t like the idea of our home flooding with every hurricane, or even a major hurricane.

Yeah, pretty easy to get a MM card. The clinics aren't there to turn people away, they are there to make money by issuing cards.

Just walk in and say you have insomnia, worked for me - :)

Another plus for down-sizing if you moved to Florida. A one bedroom house or at least having a second bedroom converted into an office is a good idea. People showing up unannounced has always been a concern for Florida transplants.

Cheers!

Exurbs seemed to be where the over-55 developments went up, at least the few we [-]were dragged to by real estate agents[/-] looked at.

I presume the developer sees cheap land and thinks, "Old people like to live around other old people, and they don't need to be near schools or jobs."
As for me, I believe that I have to plan for no longer being able to drive before I'm 80. Most such places are even more car-dependent than our current suburban house.

An exurban 55+ community doesn't fit that need.

As for me, I believe that I have to plan for no longer being able to drive before I'm 80. Most such places are even more car-dependent than our current suburban house.

An exurban 55+ community doesn't fit that need.

Not for me, but the Villages provides transportation services and many needs are contained within the community, although perhaps by golf cart driving at 20 mph.

... And one other thing is company. We seem to have someone visiting constantly in the winter months. I’m amazed at how popular we have become.

We limit company to one roll of TP... a new roll is installed when they arrive (over the top of course, which is the only proper way to do it) and the guests are advised that they are expected to be gone before the roll is gone. :D

Are bugs only a problem in the Summer or did I just get lucky. I have been down there between January and early April multiple years and have never seen a bug problem.

Saying no to people is always an option if you don't want an endless stream of visitors.

Ha ha, I’m sure company has come out of the woodwork! I’m aware of the bugs, alligators and snakes. Is it possible to get a home on a canal with higher elevation, or are most/all homes on canals likely to flood if a hurricane hits the area? We like the idea of having a small boat and our own dock, but don’t like the idea of our home flooding with every hurricane, or even a major hurricane.

As far as I know it has not flooded where I am, but we were concerned during Ian. We are 10’ above sea level, I believe the newer homes are required to be 12’.

We have been here since 2014 and Ian was the only hurricane we’re we had any damage. We had about $30,000 in damage, but many around us lost roofs and pool cages.

And don’t forget about the sharks.

Attachments

• C8D3CF76-7E3C-4C26-86D1-62A36B740D27.jpeg
    C8D3CF76-7E3C-4C26-86D1-62A36B740D27.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom