Florida living

As far as I know it has not flooded where I am, but we were concerned during Ian. We are 10’ above sea level, I believe the newer homes are required to be 12’.

We have been here since 2014 and Ian was the only hurricane we’re we had any damage. We had about $30,000 in damage, but many around us lost roofs and pool cages.

And don’t forget about the sharks.

Shark sightings much more frequent on the East Coast, especially Volusia County/New Smyrna Beach.

Are bugs only a problem in the Summer or did I just get lucky. I have been down there between January and early April multiple years and have never seen a bug problem.

Saying no to people is always an option if you don't want an endless stream of visitors.

Bugs much more of an issue in the summer.

....but many around us lost roofs and pool cages...

I assume pool cages are those containers that encapsulate almost every family pool in central and south Florida. I don't know what those cages are holding back, but it doesn't seem to be something that someone would want to live around.

What kind of critters are there that someone would totally enclose their back yards to avoid?

Are bugs only a problem in the Summer or did I just get lucky. I have been down there between January and early April multiple years and have never seen a bug problem.

Saying no to people is always an option if you don't want an endless stream of visitors.

The no seeums are bad down by the water in the summer. Other than that it really isn’t any worse than other places, a mosquito now and then.

My wife actually likes company, but we have had a few that stayed a bit too long and we are careful not to invite them again. She recently made the mistake of posting some pics of fish I’ve caught online, so now we are getting request for offshore fishing. Which is fine for a few of my friends, but some want to bring others along that I don’t even know.

bugs!

I don't know about Florida, but Louisiana has quite a reputation for bugs because it is so far south. Yet I have lived here for almost 30 years, and have never had even one single mosquito bite since I moved here.

Personally I think the explanation is the trucks that go up and down streets in residential neighborhoods at dusk, spraying insecticides. They alternate between a half dozen insecticides so people don't get sensitized to them. I used to get bitten half to death in some of the other states I have lived in, but what they are doing here works for me.

Now, if I were inclined to camp out in the swamps far from civilization, I'd take plenty of insect repellent with me. But I'm a city girl and TPTB seem to be very expert in controlling insects here in the city..

I assume pool cages are those containers that encapsulate almost every family pool in central and south Florida. I don't know what those cages are holding back, but it doesn't seem to be something that someone would want to live around.

What kind of critters are there that someone would totally enclose their back yards to avoid?

No seeums and mosquitoes. Also it’s that or a fence is required around the pool. A friend waited two years to get his home built and lost his cage during Ian. Before he could move in he had to put a temporary fence around his pool since the cage was gone.

Last edited:

Correct assumption.
Only the pool and surrounding area; not the whole backyard.
Keeping bugs out, potential snakes, bobcats, alligators.

I thought no seeums were tiny - smaller than mosquitoes. Do no seeums bite like mosquitoes?

They seem to like my ankles. We paid extra for no seeum screens to keep them out. We sit outside quite a lot and have no problems.

... I havnt read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the bugs and alligators? ...

... And don’t forget about the sharks.

We went camping at Lake Manatee State Park last spring, which has a nice lake that is a damned up portion of the Manatee River and has a very nice sandy beach for campers. When we checked in DW asked the Ranger if there were alligators in the lake and he said that there were. DW wasn't happy about that. The Ranger then asked her if she swam in the ocean and she said yes and he replied "But there are sharks in the ocean". It was funny.

I swam in the water... she didn't but did go up to her knees.

They seem to like my ankles. We paid extra for no seeum screens to keep them out. We sit outside quite a lot and have no problems.

Wow - learn something new every day here - I never heard of no seeum screens before.

If I move to Florida, my primary concern would be bug removal. I can take the heat and humidity, but not bugs.

I don't know about Florida, but Louisiana has quite a reputation for bugs because it is so far south.
All kinds of bugs here as well, and in addition to attacking and biting people and pets, they also make a horrible mess on car windshields, front grills and bumpers. There’s nothing more disgusting than driving through swarms of love bugs during mating season twice a year.

Yet I have lived here for almost 30 years, and have never had even one single mosquito bite since I moved here.
The mosquitos must all be down here in Florida. Happy to send you some, just say the word …

And I read that the pythons are migrating north out of the Everglades. And with climate change we are going to be under water soon.

The mosquitos must all be down here in Florida. Happy to send you some, just say the word …

Mosquitos are definitely not just a Florida thing. Here is Wisconsin they are horrible in the Summer. I dread mowing the lawn because of the mosquitoes. 90 degrees and humid I can handle but getting bit a hundred times in an hour is too much.

Correct assumption.

Only the pool and surrounding area; not the whole backyard.

Keeping bugs out, potential snakes, bobcats, alligators.

For me, a huge benefit of the cage would be keeping palmetto bugs aka large flying cockroaches out of the pool area. I stayed at a very high end hotel in Houston years ago. Went out to the pool at night and had to go back in inside almost immediately. Dozens of palmetto bugs in and around the pool. Yuck!

So, you just need to keep some lizards in the backyard to eat the cockroaches.

We've got a slew of them here. They're smart too, hang out by the trash cans and eat the roaches out looking for food - :)

For me, a huge benefit of the cage would be keeping palmetto bugs aka large flying cockroaches out of the pool area. I stayed at a very high end hotel in Houston years ago. Went out to the pool at night and had to go back in inside almost immediately. Dozens of palmetto bugs in and around the pool. Yuck!

Actually, the only time I have seen the Palmetto bugs in FLA was at Key West, but I hear ya.

So, you just need to keep some lizards in the backyard to eat the cockroaches.

We've got a slew of them here. They're smart too, hang out by the trash cans and eat the roaches out looking for food - :)

Lots of little lizards here referred to as the "Geckos".

I’m looking for advice on whether DH and I are missing any important factors or steps in the process we are going to use to evaluate relocating to FL.

We decided to plan an extended visit to FL this summer to evaluate whether we may wish to relocate there. We will be staying mostly in homes with kitchens so we will definitely visit grocery stores and be outside of tourist areas. Since summertime has the worst heat, humidity, bugs, and is hurricane season, we figure if we can enjoy a few months there at that time of year, we’d probably enjoy it all year. We’ve already done a lot of research on home prices, home insurance, property taxes, weather, red tide and sea temperatures and have narrowed down our focus to SW or SE Florida. We will spend several weeks on each side of the state.

Some other things we plan to think about are:
- 55+ community or unrestricted age neighborhood
- How far from the coast we could enjoy living vs avoiding flood zones
- High rise condo, SFR with pool/boat dock, or SFR/attached villa in a community with lots of amenities.

Initially we were dreaming of our own pool and boat dock not too far from open water, but as much as we enjoy extended international travel, we likely will prefer a “lock and leave” place. Also by definition an SFR with a boat dock would probably flood during major hurricanes. We are in our early to mid 60’s now, but don’t want to buy a place that will be too difficult for us to maintain as we age.

I’m not asking for advice on whether we should move to FL or whether we should consider anything north of tropical FL - temps are just too cold for us in Central and Northern FL and we don’t value having four seasons. We like warm all the time. I realize home prices and general COL are higher in S FL but that’s what we require to get the weather we’re looking for.

I’d really appreciate suggestions on things we should think about other than the things I already listed in my post, and/or things we should do during our visit to understand the various areas as well as we can with a limited stay. Also any tips about sources to expand our knowledge will be helpful.

If anyone who lives between Sarasota and Naples or Melbourne and Miami would like to meet up for coffee or a drink, please PM me. We will be there most of June, July and August, and possibly part of September.

Thank you so much!

Florida is changing very rapidly. I've been here long enough to have seen dramatic changes; Much more crowded, MUCH more expensive (especially all forms of insurance), more crime, more general nastiness, much more [MODERATOR EDIT]. MUCH hotter and many more strong storms (Hurricanes).

We are considering leaving. Good Luck with your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know it has not flooded where I am, but we were concerned during Ian. We are 10’ above sea level, I believe the newer homes are required to be 12’.

We have been here since 2014 and Ian was the only hurricane we’re we had any damage. We had about $30,000 in damage, but many around us lost roofs and pool cages.

And don’t forget about the sharks.

My sons flood insurance just went from $600 a year to $3,600 and mortgage holder Requires it. Regular insurance, home and car went up 20%.

Florida is changing very rapidly. I've been here long enough to have seen dramatic changes; Much more crowded, MUCH more expensive (especially all forms of insurance), more crime, more general nastiness, much more [MODERATOR EDIT]. MUCH hotter and many more strong storms (Hurricanes).

The insurance costs are a big concern. I’ve read lots about how dramatically they’re increasing. So CA insurance costs are relatively low. There may not be much of a financial advantage to move. Still other considerations, though.

Yes but the all important question is: where would you go?

My sons flood insurance just went from $600 a year to $3,600 and mortgage holder Requires it. Regular insurance, home and car went up 20%.

That premium increase for flood insurance sounds like a change in flood plain rating.

Back
Top Bottom