Florida - Population Growth

I spent ten days in October driving up to Charleston from Miami with a couple of friends.

I'm relatively sure I could bicycle from Miami to Charleston in 10 days. And I'm fat and out of shape.

I've got a wide, well padded bike seat. Not to mention internal padding.

Did I mention there was a lot of drinking invoked?
I've driven down there in a day, of course, but this was VACATION! Oh and we had to go to Disney.
They were British girls, so we drove on the wrong side of the road a lot.
;)

Did I mention there was a lot of drinking invoked?
Reminds me of a train trip I once took from Guadalajara to San Francisco, via Tijuana. I'm still not sure how long it took, but I did make it to SF. :)

60 miles a day for 10 days? Ouch!

Actually not that much if you figure 8 hours a day of riding thats only between 7 and 8 mph. Since the route is flat the only issue might be the winds. Typically on flat ground one can do 10 mph easily. (no wind case).

I am a 45 year old Canadian who bought a vacation house in Naples a few years ago. Its brought in $200k in rent on the short term rental market in under 3 years while we get to use it whenever we want. I love Florida and Naples is a great second home for us and I plan on spending a lot more time there in the future. We do prefer the shoulder seasons, April and November are my favorite months for weather and lack of crowds.

Well, today is Easter, and all the tourists and snowbirds (except us) are gone! The roads are much quieter, and traffic no longer backs up a mile from the light at the big intersection. We'll enjoy it for another month. By then it should be safe to head back up north(ish) and get my other veggie garden started. Of course, the downside of waiting is that it's getting hotter than hell down here. At least for me. DW loves it. And it's not bad in the shade, if there's a breeze.

I am a 45 year old Canadian who bought a vacation house in Naples a few years ago. Its brought in $200k in rent on the short term rental market in under 3 years while we get to use it whenever we want. I love Florida and Naples is a great second home for us and I plan on spending a lot more time there in the future. We do prefer the shoulder seasons, April and November are my favorite months for weather and lack of crowds.

Sheesh! $200K in three years? How much do you rent it out for, if I may ask? That sounds amazing. I've got a few rental properties, but have never done short term. I'd be curious to see how that works. I'm sure there's a fair amount of overhead, what with a management company (I presume) and somebody to do the cleaning and all. We're in Bonita Springs, so if we ended up doing something like this we'd be able to keep a close eye on it. Any information you feel like sharing would be appreciated, either here in the thread or a PM.

I agree about November and April, although this April is looking pretty hot.

Back
Top Bottom