Florida snowbird rental recommendations

ukwildcat

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi you all!

Looking for recommendations for Florida snowbird rental recommendations for January and February.

Preferably southern half of Florida or central Florida.

Thanks!

Hi you all!

Looking for recommendations for Florida snowbird rental recommendations for January and February.

Thanks!

I would refer you to my place in Kissimmee, but it is already partially booked during that period.

Look for RV parks that have cabins, they are often cheaper and a different experience.

Well, it depends what you are looking for.......I think we need more information.. Are you a beach person? Are you okay with the traffic and congestion of a bigger metro area, or do you prefer smaller towns and fewer crowds? What types of things do you think you would enjoy doing while in Florida? DW and I snowbird in west/central Florida (Citrus County), and we really like it. But there are no beaches close by, and we are a ways from any larger city. But we're okay with that, as we like to kayak, hike, bike, fish, so it's a great area for us.

We used to rent a furnished cottage on the Treasure Coast. The good places are often rented a year in advance, but you can still find openings.

I'd recommend getting on AirBnB or other sites where you can correspond directly with owners. Sometimes you'll find a place that seems cool, but the owner is a nervous Nellie or something, and you can tell you wouldn't get along. That sort of thing.

We are going for February 2020 and used VRBO. The further south you go, and the closer to the coast, the more it costs. We are bringing our dog, so that further limited options. We booked in February.

I would check VRBO and AirBnB. Prices ranged from $3,000 to $15,000 (and more) for the month. We are closer to the middle/lower end.

Good luck.

FWIW, we just booked a condo in Key West for early November. One week there, in a much smaller place (2 bedroom condo vs. a 4 bedroom house with a pool), is half of a full month further north (Naples/Ft. Myers).

Good luck.

Check VRBO, Craigslist, and Airbnb. I believe the majority of units are listed on one or more of these three sites. Some are also listed through local realtors or property managers.

Hi you all!

Thanks!
My Dad passed away about 3 years ago, but for many years owned a rental condo at the Siesta Breakers on Siesta Key (6480 Midnight Pass). His unit was directly across from the south bridge (there are two bridges to the key). Walking distance of a few restaurants like Captain Kurt's Oyster Bar, and very close drive to many others. White sand beaches, and the quality of the units is very high. All units have ocean views from multiple rooms. Highly recommended but likely also quite expensive. We got to stay "free" one week a year so long as we went in the off-season, so we usually went in October. FWIW, we no longer have any financial interest in the property...he only had one unit and there are many units...I think it's about 7 floors.

Most owners now want you to rent for January-March, inclusive or even January-April, inclusive. Demand is high enough that they can demand and get it.

Most rentals are already tied up for the 2020 high season.... but there are the inevitable situations where someone who planned to rent ends up not being able to because of health or family issues. Our first season rental was a situation like that.... so keep monitoring the websites.

We are going for February 2020 and used VRBO. The further south you go, and the closer to the coast, the more it costs. We are bringing our dog, so that further limited options. We booked in February.

I would check VRBO and AirBnB. Prices ranged from $3,000 to $15,000 (and more) for the month. We are closer to the middle/lower end.

Good luck.

FWIW, we just booked a condo in Key West for early November. One week there, in a much smaller place (2 bedroom condo vs. a 4 bedroom house with a pool), is half of a full month further north (Naples/Ft. Myers).

Good luck.

How did you find a rental that allowed your dog and only one month? We tried to book 3 months with our dog for the 2019 season and even though we started looking roughly a year in advance, we couldn’t find anything on Air BnB, VRBO, or even through a local realtor. We gave up.

Our cottages rented by the week and allowed pets. But they weren't upscale, and the beach was a 10-minute walk.

How did you find a rental that allowed your dog and only one month? We tried to book 3 months with our dog for the 2019 season and even though we started looking roughly a year in advance, we couldn’t find anything on Air BnB, VRBO, or even through a local realtor. We gave up.

Our cottages rented by the week and allowed pets. But they weren't upscale, and the beach was a 10-minute walk.

Were you able to book these on the fly or did you prearrange? We considered going and just taking what we could find but we’re not ones to sleep in our car so we decided to wait.

We always arranged a year in advance, through Expedia; but the owner sent us a 2020 booking notice "for prior customers" last month, so she's probably got openings now. It is a sleepy location and as I said, not right on the (very nice) beach, nor remotely upscale. But it suited us, so we went back three years in a row. We didn't have a pet, but our next-cottage neighbors, all the way from Canada, had a dog.

Were you able to book these on the fly or did you prearrange? We considered going and just taking what we could find but we’re not ones to sleep in our car so we decided to wait.

I guess we just got lucky. We booked in February 2019 on VRBO, but there were quite a few available on both VRBO and AirBnB in the Naples/Ft. Myers area. It was not cheap, but it has 4 bedrooms and a pool. We expect to have several friends join us part time.

A single data point: a buddy rents a house near Cape Coral, south of Tampa, gulf side, for 4 months, dec. through March. Costs 3 grand a month, mandatory 4 month term. He’s very happy with the price. Said it was very, very hard to find a decent, not amazing, place. He wanted only 3 months, but owner insists on. Sellers markets.

This is our first year as snowbird, we are able to secure a month of February in 2020 in North ft.Myers via airbnb.
It is individual one bed room apartment, the photo looks ok, including all the basic stuff. We will see how it really is in February

A single data point: a buddy rents a house near Cape Coral, south of Tampa, gulf side, for 4 months, dec. through March. Costs 3 grand a month, mandatory 4 month term. He’s very happy with the price. Said it was very, very hard to find a decent, not amazing, place. He wanted only 3 months, but owner insists on. Sellers markets.

$3000 a month is reasonable, but the 4 month demand is more than I want to do (I'm looking at 2 months). After spending $12,000, you will still need food/travel/entertainment costs for 4 months, that could be almost that much more. This makes me want to move our camper down there even more.

I guess we just got lucky. We booked in February 2019 on VRBO, but there were quite a few available on both VRBO and AirBnB in the Naples/Ft. Myers area. It was not cheap, but it has 4 bedrooms and a pool. We expect to have several friends join us part time.

Maybe a hair off topic but we do the same thing. Rent for a longer term and different friends come in for a week to 10 days a couple. What do you do about the cost of the rental?

Most of our friends want to pay something and generally I take the average daily cost of the house and for the days they stay, they pay half of the daily rental rate. They usually also do a big grocery purchase and treat us to a meal or two. That seems fair because when I know friends are joining us I usually upsize a little and look for two masters and a little bigger place.

Family stays too and I won't take money from them. As I said all friends insist on paying something.

Maybe a hair off topic but we do the same thing. Rent for a longer term and different friends come in for a week to 10 days a couple. What do you do about the cost of the rental?

Most of our friends want to pay something and generally I take the average daily cost of the house and for the days they stay, they pay half of the daily rental rate. They usually also do a big grocery purchase and treat us to a meal or two. That seems fair because when I know friends are joining us I usually upsize a little and look for two masters and a little bigger place.

Family stays too and I won't take money from them. As I said all friends insist on paying something.

We will do something similar with the friends. I know they will want to pay something, so 1/2 or 1/3 the nightly rate sounds about right.

We're looking in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Friends and family live there. As long as there's a decent pool, we don't need to be near the beach. We know the area very well. We're driving and plan to bring our dog.

Also, Hollywood, FL is interesting. Very cool boardwalk for a few miles along the beach. Bohemian atmosphere, many seniors mixed with young folk.

We're going for a week in November and will check it out.

We're looking in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Friends and family live there. As long as there's a decent pool, we don't need to be near the beach. We know the area very well. We're driving and plan to bring our dog.

Also, Hollywood, FL is interesting. Very cool boardwalk for a few miles along the beach. Bohemian atmosphere, many seniors mixed with young folk.

We're going for a week in November and will check it out.

We liked the look of the Hollywood area but couldn’t find a beachfront rental that allowed a dog and a 3-month stay. Gave up.

We liked the look of the Hollywood area but couldn’t find a beachfront rental that allowed a dog and a 3-month stay. Gave up.
Maybe I can offer suggestions when we get back after Thanksgiving. Many of these places in Hollywood are mom and pop rentals. We've gone there for years (40+) off and on. I was in high school for our 1st visit. Hollywood kept the flavor of a small beach town (near the beach). The 1st place we rented 40+ years ago is still there. Four apartments, 2 story, right on the boardwalk, literally.

Maybe I can offer suggestions when we get back after Thanksgiving. Many of these places in Hollywood are mom and pop rentals. We've gone there for years (40+) off and on. I was in high school for our 1st visit. Hollywood kept the flavor of a small beach town (near the beach). The 1st place we rented 40+ years ago is still there. Four apartments, 2 story, right on the boardwalk, literally.

Thank you, Rianne. Sounds perfect! We generally prefer “mom & pop” type accommodations vs fancy high rises. As long as it’s clean, safe, and well-located (preferably on the beach), with a full kitchen and laundry facilities, and they allow a small indoor dog, we’re happy.

Back
Top Bottom