Food and the Future

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
A piece by Charles Hugh Smith (Of Two Minds) that looks ahead to what could happen to food, as the use of antibiotics and insecticides create superbugs.

Also, the forecast that food will be one of if not the major commodity that determines comparative wealth

The article is well sourced and a fairly long read.

https://www.oftwominds.com/blogmay19/superbugs-food5-19.html

Was new to me.... :blush: might be worth a look.

Last edited:
A piece by Charles Hugh Smith (Of Two Minds) that looks ahead to what could happen to food, as the use of antibiotics and insecticides create superbugs.

Also, the forecast that food will be one of if not the major commodity that determines comparative wealth

The article is well sourced and a fairly long read.

https://www.oftwominds.com/blogmay19/superbugs-food5-19.html

Was new to me.... :blush: might be worth a look.

Sorry but didn't read the article. Understand some reluctance to put things into your body but retired from the food industry after many years and many of the articles I have read try to pinpoint some cause for everything. They are cleaning things up the best they can but there is huge demand for all types of products and we're past the point where everything can be grown naturally. Wealth determines if you can afford "clean" or "organic" products because many cannot. We demand food faster with more guarantees than ever. Going faster to market is great but we're sourcing all sorts of vegetables, fruits, proteins, etc from all over the world. They don't have many of the restrictions we have.

I'm not sure how long we're expecting to live but we continue to get better at it. Until you want to have some worldwide entity babysit ever facet of the process we will always be at some risk. I just go to the store, read labels and make a decision.

That's what I thought too...

Sorry but didn't read the article. Understand some reluctance to put things into your body but retired from the food industry after many years and many of the articles I have read try to pinpoint some cause for everything. They are cleaning things up the best they can but there is huge demand for all types of products and we're past the point where everything can be grown naturally. Wealth determines if you can afford "clean" or "organic" products because many cannot. We demand food faster with more guarantees than ever. Going faster to market is great but we're sourcing all sorts of vegetables, fruits, proteins, etc from all over the world. They don't have many of the restrictions we have.

I'm not sure how long we're expecting to live but we continue to get better at it. Until you want to have some worldwide entity babysit ever facet of the process we will always be at some risk. I just go to the store, read labels and make a decision.

Until I read the article.
Maybe you're better off not knowing.... unless you have kids. :(

Best that this thread go to the great wastebasket in the sky. A little to much to handle :)

Last edited:
A second dip into the waste basket.

I guess it was a little too much to think about the future, when asset allocation is the most important subject for discussion, but I have to admit that that I was disappointed that the article was of so little interest, especially when the subject had so much to do with todays' economics and the future... not the distant future, like 50 years from now, but even starting today.

The graphs and comparison that are linked toward the end of the article just amazed me.

I guess if you plan on living in the one percent forever, this wouldn't matter, but i worry about my children, and my children's children.

Back into never-never land. :(

I guess if you plan on living in the one percent forever, this wouldn't matter, but i worry about my children, and my children's children.

Back into never-never land. :(

Well, I am near your age and I am worrying about less and less about what I have no control over. All we can do with our kids is get them started on the correct path they want to take.

Heck, I'm not interested in the "news" and really don't watch or read any of it. Makes me crazy and all wound up, so I have decided that is not healthy for me.

You linked a great topic of interest and a lot of smart people are working on trying to solve the problems associated with it. But it's one of those subjects that is not on the front burner around here, or most places, for that matter.

I agree... am asking the moderators to delete this thread.

The purpose of the ER website is to discuss money and how to survive in retirement... not to discuss theory and philosophy. Money is all that really matters.

TTFN... :)

you thought that was a "long" article?

:LOL:
important stuff if you ask me.
Animal agriculture is so bad on so many levels.

Well, I read and appreciate the well written and referenced article. My son has been vegetarian for more than 20 years. He suggested I watch Forks Over Knives 6 years ago. After seeing it, I switched immediately to plant based food. He then went vegan as well. My mother had CV events for several years, arthritis, sleep issues, depression and had her last stroke at 67. This was a big influence in my going vegan. At 64, my labs are [emoji108], no inflammation or arthritis and feel great. The more I learn about animal harvesting and big pharma hand in glove, the more disillusioned I am in the FDA, Department of Ag and their duty to protect animals, the public’s nd environment. I read today our rivers are polluted with antibiotics from animal production for human consumption.

When someone asks why vegan, my flip reply is I’m trying to save our planet. The more thoughtful response is abusing/torturing and killing animals is unnecessary, unhealthy, unkind, unsustainable and unethical. I do believe in time, everyone will have to go vegan. Although it’s a topic that’s “not on the front burner around here” it should be. Avoidable and nutrition-related healthcare costs and conditions can sure put a crimp in retirement assets and activities. If money really does matter most, do your own research, look at the evidence, examine the data, decide to finish life strong and as a kind, compassionate, environmentally responsible human being.....and go vegan!

I’ll finish the rant now; and before you jump on this post to totally correct/bash me, first please watch Forks Over Knives and Earthlings. Did you notice the IPO for Beyond Meat? It does give me hope for the future.

Easy solution: my meat is either local small farmed (pastured pork, mostly) or game that I have personally harvested. Making jackrabbit meatballs to go along with the manicotti tomorrow night.

Back
Top Bottom