Fooled by Randomness?

I figure we make our own luck, good and bad. Fortune favors the prepared mind. Taking calculated risks is one thing. Gambling is quite another.

(Now, where did I put that lottery ticket?)

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
I figure we make our own luck, good and bad.  Fortune favors the prepared mind.  Taking calculated risks is one thing.  Gambling is quite another.

(Now, where did I put that lottery ticket?)

No doubt that as Louis Pasteur said, "Fortune favors the prepared mind."

But that is a long way from making one's own luck. It is being prepared to take advantage of good breaks, and being prepared to deal with bad breaks. The old Boy Scout Motto--"Be Prepared!"

Of course sometimes what people call luck is not the random life events per se, but the overall way one has responded to them.

But IMO, in this real world we live in, a lot of **** happens. And some of it is beyond anyone's ability to control.

Ha

Just being able to have a "prepared mind" is one's own good luck. Rich parents? Educated parents? Maybe humble parents who just cared enough to get you some kinmd of education. Ivy Leage or public school or community college?

Or were your parents drunken, stupid dolts who simply didn't give f....? Didn't a f..... about education or knowing anything more than how to get booz on a weekend when the stores were closed. And whose advice in life is: "When youre 18 you're out of the house" And You'll learn the hard way.

Nobody ,by definiton, makes their own luck. It is what happens or doesnt happens beyond your abilty to know or control.

Ha, razz, I don't think we are disagreeing here.

(Ha, I shoulda put quote marks around it. Love the quote, couldn't remember who said it. Pretty famous, though.)

razztazz said:
Just being able to have a "prepared mind" is one's own good luck. Rich parents? Educated parents?

There are all kinds of permutations. For example, you can have educated parents (good) who don't know how not to live paycheck to paycheck (bad).

Razz, Ed and Ha.

I think you all have disected my point (not that you were trying to flatter ME) and brought up the two conflicting sides to "luck". The two sides to luck are the "random, pure dumb luck" that life presents and the "luck you make".

I gotta improve this "communicating by writing" thing.

-CC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom