For those who buy Costco Eggs - do you buy Cage Free or Organic?

Last edited:
We don't eat many fresh eggs, so I buy whatever is on sale.
DH does like Costco hard boiled eggs, so we get those every time we go.

Just got home from Sam's with 2 doz Organic eggs. Usually, I buy the Egglands Best variety, but this thread made me realize that this is not consistent with the rest of my food purchases, as I have been migrating to more organic items and grass-fed/antibiotic /hormone free meats. I'm sure it is not necessarily worth it and yes I'm probably getting ripped off on some items, but I don't really care as we have no kids and our retirement is way over funded.

Agriculture is just another business and is my health is surely not their priority.

Last edited:
First, years ago I stopped eating the yolks based on the prevailing opinion that it was better to avoid that cholesterol. After a very short while I preferred the taste of egg whites to the whole egg anyway. To your question, the yolks go into the garbage!
Unfortunately that prevailing opinion was dead wrong, the yolk is the most nutritious and healthful part of the egg, although the white is full of great protein too.

But if you prefer white only, sure. Too bad about throwing the yolks in the garbage though. That makes me cry a little.

I would assume there are no yolks? DW and I went this route for a few months years ago before deciding it wasn’t necessary for us, even more expensive than pasture raised.

egg_pt_white_r_18.png
Unfortunately not. Yes this would be the logical way to me.

So after all your inputs, I discovered that Costco’s organic eggs are Pasture raised and not just caged free. Both cage free and organic pasture raised eggs of Costco have that Humane certification . See photo. So 24 pasture raised organic eggs at 8.89 is i guess worth it

Attachments

• IMG_3974.jpg
    IMG_3974.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
My DS and BIL have a henhouse with 12-15 hens and 1 rooster, they live in the country on 38 acres. We trade eggs for wine; I don't notice any difference other than the yolks are yellower and are higher when they hit the Blackstone or skillet. Taste is indifferent.

Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Oh, and chickens are definitely omnivores. I lived on a farm, and we had some chickens mostly for fun (bandies). They roamed around and fended for themselves. When the chicks hatched, they followed Momma-hen and you could see them gobbling up little spiders and such as they went.

Just curious:

Would these chickens stay out all day and night or come in at night ?

How do you call chickens into the barn at night ?

Also could they forage enough on their own to live, or did they also need feed ?

We just let them fend for themselves (they were just decorations/pets really). I guess they found places to hide at night. Sometimes we'd find nests/eggs in the barn. I am surprised that they survived predators, though, now that I think of it, I don't recall how long the small flock lasted, but I'm sure it was a few years at least.

Plenty of feed laying around for the cattle, they had no problem finding food.

DW just chimed in - she thinks it would be 'fun' to have a chicken coop. They are allowed here (probably a 'no rooster' rule, to keep noise down), and there was a coop just down the street, but they (the owners, well, AND the chickens!) moved. But I wouldn't do it, animals mean being tied down, no thanks (but to each their own).

-ERD50

We've been buying organic eggs from Costco at $8.89 for a while.

However, a few days ago, there were no organic eggs, so we bought the $4.99 Cage Free Eggs that is from vegetarian-fed chickens and it says 'No hormones'.

Both packs are 24 eggs (2 dozens). The price difference is big ($4.99 vs $8.89) while the eggs may not be that different at all.
Is organic really worth it ?

No

Sometimes when I body build I eat a decent amount of eggs. 3 to 5 a day. I never cared what color the egg, the container or what the sticker said. I buy Extra Large just because I go through so many.

I never feel different eating one from the other, but I mostly stick to the white costco or blue container from wal-mart due to price. My abs don't look or feel any different with organic vs not either. I've tried them all. Even straight from the farm. I actually didn't like the taste straight from the farm, but I bet I could acquire it over time.

Here's a pretty good video on the subject that I happened by a few days ago.
He gets into the "how the chickens are raised", and as others have mentioned, lots of BS in those terms, and he doesn't get preachy or dismissive, just leaves it up to you once you are informed.

At the end, he basically says taste seems to be near indistinguishable, but color and texture are generally noticeable better in the best methods (which I do thInk used the term 'pasture raised', but I'd have to re-watch to confirm that), so if that's important to the dish, that may influence you.

Oh, and chickens are definitely omnivores. I lived on a farm, and we had some chickens mostly for fun (bandies). They roamed around and fended for themselves. When the chicks hatched, they followed Momma-hen and you could see them gobbling up little spiders and such as they went.

-ERD50

I used to live next to his cousin before I retired last year and get free eggs from him, he usually kept 10-20 chickens.
I buy where ever its cheapest , the free fresh ones from the coop were better tasting but I'm cheap.

I buy pasture raised or free range eggs when I can. I used to buy them at a local healthy grocer store which had a few items I could not find elsewhere. They sold eggs from a local farm that were pasture raised. Then the store closed. Now I buy Nellie's Free Range eggs at BJs for $8.99 for two dozen, or $7.69 at the local grocery store for 18 eggs. The yolks are darker, the shells are less fragile, and the membrane holds up well to pressure cooking for hard boiled eggs. at 37¢ per egg, there's no need to get the cheapest egg.

I can't taste the difference, even if the egg is weeks old. Here's a summary of what all the terms mean.

Fifteen or more states have adopted regulations similar to the ones pioneered in California ten years ago. I'm willing to pay a dime more per egg to improve living conditions for hens. I consider it a tip to the bird. Indiana isn't one, I think, but sometimes I see California-compliant eggs even in WalMart.

I'm surprised at those that can't taste the difference between eggs. Years ago a good friend ruined me on eggs. He has a hobby farm and always had fresh yard eggs he gave away. The yolks were very dark with a much richer flavor than any store bought eggs.
Since we've moved away from that town I just don't enjoy eggs unless I can find "yard eggs" from a local farm.
Realize that I'm talking about a smaller local farm rather than a large factory type egg farm.

We have raised our own on and off over the years. And would probably have some now if it weren't for my wreck. But we also have friends and family that have chickens running around... You never know when eggs will show up... Just today one dropped by put 2 dozen in the garage fridge and was gone before I could get outside.

We have raised our own on and off over the years. And would probably have some now if it weren't for my wreck. But we also have friends and family that have chickens running around... You never know when eggs will show up... Just today one dropped by put 2 dozen in the garage fridge and was gone before I could get outside.

Good neighbors. You are blessed!:)

Back
Top Bottom