Forbes Article re Spend On What Sparks Joy

Markola

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hope this isn’t behind a paywall. It wasn’t for me.

“A couple who retired early with $4.3 million say the FIRE lifestyle is wearing thin: ‘We don’t want to just keep throwing money on the pile and keep being cheap’

Despite being multimillionaires, early retirees Mindy and Carl can’t shake their scarcity mentality around money.”

https://fortune-com.cdn.ampproject....-habits/amp/?amp_js_v=0.1#webview=1&cap=swipe

From the article
“So maybe any purchase under a certain amount, you shouldn’t even think about or consider. You shouldn’t waste any mind space considering it.”

We embrace the concept of blow money. Money not for expenses, dining out or even travel. All the earnings from my part time job and the interest from a small inheritance my wife received is blow money. Never to be thought about or contemplated. Which for us is about $3000 a month. It’s a piggy bank for fun and fun alone.

Set priorities. Spending doesn’t have to be random. Spend on what is most important to you.

From the article
“So maybe any purchase under a certain amount, you shouldn’t even think about or consider. You shouldn’t waste any mind space considering it.”

This is a concept espoused in the early 70s by a guy called Harry Browne. His takes was "pick a number and don't stress about any expenses under that. Say $40 is your number. $40 for a pack of cigarettes? OK! A can of Coke? Ok! " Whether your number was $4 or $40, don't loose sleep over being overcharged by a few bucks.

^^^^^ I didn’t realize it was about that Carl. I used to read his blog, too. Also, this article is in Fortune, not Forbes, as I said.

Back
Top Bottom