Foreign Accent Syndrome

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
Certainly not downplaying the plight of the patients.

I can across this messing around on YouTube and I gotta say it's both scary, and downright cool to me. People have a procedure done - and then bam - a side effect is having a 100% true passable foreign accent.

They show a lifelong Texan woman -- now she speaks as if she's generations raised in London.

She sounds lovely, but that's easy for me to say because it's not causing me distress. I can't say how I would feel if I were in her situation.

That’s really bizarre. I feel sorry for her.

Her husband thinks "it is hilarious." What a guy!

I wonder if she can understand other people speaking with a British accent any better than she could before the operation?

My son spoke with a British accent during his Harry Potter phase.

I showed it to the Wife. Told her if this happens to her, I truly madly deeply want her to summon me upstairs, and tell me that I've been bad.

She found that part very amusing but she's trying to pretend she didn't.

I showed it to the Wife. Told her if this happens to her, I truly madly deeply want her to summon me upstairs, and tell me that I've been bad.

I understand. I've got my Google Account Personal Assistant voice set to the Australian female option.

My son spoke with a British accent during his Harry Potter phase.

When I was young many of us had a Monty Python phase.
Maybe not a phase, I still love their stuff.

Always look on the bright side of life. And seek the Grail. :LOL:

As long as everything else regarding the procedure went well, I don't think I would mind this kind of side effect. But to be fair, I do love foreign accents, that's probably why I have this perspective.

As long as everything else regarding the procedure went well, I don't think I would mind this kind of side effect. But to be fair, I do love foreign accents, that's probably why I have this perspective.

There could be worse things that happen during surgery, for sure.

Reading a bit about this, there doesn't seem to be many, if any, cases of British to American accents. There seems to be something more "relaxed" about the phonemes of British English. If an American person gets a nerve knocked out, it seems to create this effect.

One thing is for sure, even though they have the accent, it is unlikely they'll be using words like "chuffed" or "codswallop."

Speaking of foreign accents..........perhaps 20 years ago I am boarding a Lufthansa flight from DC to Frankfurt. Struck up a nice chat with a British guy and it got a bit chummy....as we walked from lounge to boarding area our comments got a bit colorful. So we're going thru the gangway' tunnel and I say "I've always loved the British accent" and he says...."I speak English - it's you with the accent"..... lmao to this day we chat via email a few times a month.

I understand. I've got my Google Account Personal Assistant voice set to the Australian female option.

I may have to partake.

Doesn't get better than British or Aussie.

Yeah... that's why I made a concerted effort to learn to speak "american" when I came to the US. The british accent made it clear many were only listening to how I spoke vs. what I said.

I wonder if the person in the video can code switch and still go back to her old accent? I can still flip back and forth, but try not to.

Yeah... that's why I made a concerted effort to learn to speak "american" when I came to the US. The british accent made it clear many were only listening to how I spoke vs. what I said.

I wonder if the person in the video can code switch and still go back to her old accent? I can still flip back and forth, but try not to.

I switch when back in Wisconsin or around people from MN or Wisconsin. Heading to Tampa for the Frozen Four. My midwest accent will be in full form for 3-4 days. My son will not be impressed. He may never meet me for a fun weekend ever again.

I switch when back in Wisconsin or around people from MN or Wisconsin. Heading to Tampa for the Frozen Four. My midwest accent will be in full form for 3-4 days. My son will not be impressed. He may never meet me for a fun weekend ever again.
Don't you know? You betcha!

She is currently going through speech therapy to regain her old vocal style. I suspect if she successfully can recover her original voice, she'll be able to switch to the accidental foreign.

I lived in the South so long I've picked up a lot. I can speak Chicago if in a pinch. I can also perform party tricks in Chicago and speak Southern, just for fun.

Speaking of foreign accents..........perhaps 20 years ago I am boarding a Lufthansa flight from DC to Frankfurt. Struck up a nice chat with a British guy and it got a bit chummy....as we walked from lounge to boarding area our comments got a bit colorful. So we're going thru the gangway' tunnel and I say "I've always loved the British accent" and he says...."I speak English - it's you with the accent"..... lmao to this day we chat via email a few times a month.
Reminds me of a time I was in a London bar/restaurant. I stepped up the bar to place my order. The bartender said we'll bring it over to your table when it's ready. I said do you need my table number, he said no, I won't forget that accent.

As I walked back to my table, I thought to myself, how the h$^^ is he going to remember what table I'm at by his accent... :LOL: Must have been my cowboy hat. ;)

Last edited:
I haven’t lived in Wisconsin for 30 years but people still guess correctly where I am from:)).

Reminds me of one of my first meetings in the UK. 10 Brits and us two Americans. I started off by saying “if you forget which two in the room are from the US, we are the two without accents.”

Thankfully they found this amusing.

Reminds me of one of my first meetings in the UK. 10 Brits and us two Americans. I started off by saying “if you forget which two in the room are from the US, we are the two without accents.”

Thankfully they found this amusing.

Two countries separated by a common language.

but I'll bet she doesn't say "going to THE hospital" Or "to THE University" as examples of true UK speak ;-)

My DW MIL was from Smith Island in Chesapeake Bay, sometime i had real hard time understanding all DW's relatives when we went over or they came here. They talked Elizabethan. If it's hot out it's COLD, if she's beautiful she UGLY as some of the examples of their speak.

She probably goes "on vacation" instead of "on holiday" too.

Back
Top Bottom