Four Habits...

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
This is a pretty nice piece that describes what many of the geniuses here on this forum are doing with their retirement funds. I do not know Nicholas Fiduccia (almost sounds made up) but he sounds like he should be dropping in here on a regular basis.

"I had a plan to retire," says Nicholas Fiduccia, a former computer hardware designer in Silicon Valley who recently left the workforce at age 50 and now lives in Oregon. "Sometime around 2000, I decided it was time to think about hanging up my career. I made plans by reading investment books, talking to money-wise friends and professionals, and attending retirement classes. Today, my philosophy is pretty simple: low-cost, diversified index funds, rebalanced every two years."

Yahoo! Personal Finance: Calculators,Money Advice,Guides,& More

Extreme diversification with low-cost index funds

Although I don't think he will be dropping in here on a regular basis :D, Warren Buffett also believes in extreme diversification with low-cost index funds for most of the population:

If you are not a professional investor, if your goal is not to manage money in such a way that you get a significantly better return than world, then I believe in extreme diversification. I believe that 98 or 99 percent — maybe more than 99 percent — of people who invest should extensively diversify and not trade. That leads them to an index fund with very low costs. All they’re going to do is own a part of America. They’ve made a decision that owning a part of America is worthwhile. I don’t quarrel with that at all — that is the way they should approach it.
Questions and Answers with Warren Buffett ∞ Get Rich Slowly

Back
Top Bottom