Free Unbiased Hearing Test

TexasPE

Dryer sheet aficionado
I decided to have an unbiased hearing test to see whether I needed to consider hearing aids. I occasionally use closed captioning on TV, and a hearing-impaired friend sometimes says I am mumbling.

I contacted the Audiology department at a nearby university for testing. They made an immediate appointment for me. I was seen and tested by a team of 3: a supervising Audiology program instructor, a 4th year student and a 1st year student. They checked me for hearing loss as a function of frequency, middle ear issues, and speech comprehension (speech to noise) at different ratios for each ear. The exam took an hour, and there was no charge. They gave me a copy of the results.

Result: I have age-related (70+) high frequency loss, but speech comprehension was excellent...

I now have a baseline test should I suspect hearing loss in the future.

The center has free loaner hearing aids for clients to try out, and they will help their client adjust their over-the-counter hearing aids.

I googled 'audiology training near me' to find the school.

Last edited:
I decided to have an unbiased hearing test to see whether I needed to consider hearing aids. I occasionally use closed captioning on TV, and a hearing-impaired friend sometimes says I am mumbling.

I contacted the Audiology department at a nearby university for testing. They made an immediate appointment for me. I was seen and tested by a team of 3: a supervising Audiology program instructor, a 4th year student and a 1st year student. They checked me for hearing loss as a function of frequency, middle ear issues, and speech comprehension (speech to noise) at different ratios for each ear. The exam took an hour, and there was no charge. They gave me a copy of the results.

Result: I have age-related (70+) high frequency loss, but speech comprehension was excellent...

I now have a baseline test should I suspect hearing loss in the future.

The center has free loaner hearing aids for clients to try out, and they will help their client adjust their over-the-counter hearing aids.

I googled 'audiology training near me' to find the school.

I did this exact same thing last year. I used my wife's health care and had an audiologist at their audiology department do the testing. I had essentially the same results as you but I had minor difficulty with certain word sounds involving J's and G's, but nothing substantial.

I recommend people should have this done in order to get a baseline reading. Don't go to hearing aid stores, go to a neutral party.

You can also get a rough idea from the Mimi app. It's on both the Apple and Google app stores, and is free. You need to use some kind of earphones or earbuds to use it properly, but it will give you a fairly good idea of any hearing loss you might have.

I'll have to check out our local universities and see if they have this service available. I've been putting off going to Costco to have my hearing tested.

Back
Top Bottom