Friendly Reminder to get your colonoscopies.

My doctor is old school and says that the colonoscopy is the gold standard. He said you can get the Cologuard if you want to but you still need the colonoscopy at the recommended times. For those of you getting the Colonguard test do you also get colonoscopies?

No, not at this particular juncture. I don't like the risk factors associated with colonoscopies. I'm 65 and every year my GP recommended one, but I deferred, so she would do the fecal matter test. Everything looked normal. Then a couple of years ago I did the Cologuard test. My insurance paid for it.

Results came back negative, so I'm good for 3 years (I think). Colonoscopy is only recommended if the Cologuard test comes back positive.

Not to diminish anyone getting a regular colonoscopy, its just not for me.

Thanks for the reminder. I’ve been putting if off because of covid. Had my first one at 50 with no symptoms and I had colon cancer. A major colon resection saved my life in 2004. I’ve had lots of them since. Not a big deal but I don’t like the prep. I have found better ways to do that with Miralax and gatorade, though I think some doctors are stuck on the Go-Lightly (not a good name for it!) or Nu-Lightly (still a bad name-there is nothing lightly about it).

Don’t die of embarrassment. Everyone has a colon. Get it checked or be like me.

“Rectum.....damn near killed em!”

Last edited:
My mother died of colon cancer at 57. I had my first colonoscopy at 31 due to symptoms and family history, they found polyps so I have been on the 5 year plan ever since. I never postpone them. They are really not a big deal. The prep is the worst part but that is not bad. Chill the prep, drink it through a straw, and either put a lemon drop in your mouth to cut the bad taste, or keep a glass of root beer to sip after a swig of the prep. After having 5 of them so far they are really just an inconvenience since they take up the better part of 2 days. They are so much better than late stage colon cancer.

Yes. From their faq: "Contraindications: Patients with a history of colorectal cancer, adenomas, or other related cancers "

My understanding is that Cologuard goes way beyond blood in stool. It looks at DNA and other markers, along with blood.

My plea to anyone, especially the younger set, is to not ignore any issue of blood, even just once. See a streak? See your doctor. Is your blood hemoglobin running low? See your doctor. In both cases discuss your colon. Don't assume it is: hemorrhoids, menses, food, etc.

You can discuss further testing with your doc, whether it be cologuard or a full scope.

BTW, I managed to always test negative for blood in stool with the simple in office test, even though I had enough bleeding to have mild anemia, which my doc and I assumed was due to blood donation. Blood can come and go. Even when I had an event that was not possible to ignore, my next movement looked fine. I think Cologuard is typically sensitive enough to detect blood even if you have intermittent bleeding.

All this testing is fine, sure. But never ignore what your eyes are seeing. Don't wish it away.

A good friend had decided she was of an age (78) to switch to cologuard... she flunked the cologuard and had to do the full colonoscopy anyway. 2 polyps removed.

To your points of blood in the stool and anemia...

My first colonoscopy happened because I mentioned during my physical/pap test that I'd noticed some blood in the stool. I assumed hemorrhoids because I'd had a baby a few months earlier. (Not an unusual side effect of being pregnant, giving birth.) I kind of blew off calling to set up the sigmoidoscopy... and Kaiser Permanente kept calling and nagging. Did it and they found polyps (and had to do the full colonoscopy). I was 41... maybe 42... Glad to have the polyps removed. My most recent was because I tested anemic on physical blood work. Unfortunately, the first pass they spotted something at the top of my colon, so, AGAIN, I had to do prep again and get the full scope - top and bottom - colonoscopy and endoscopy. Fortunately, the 'something' must have been an artifact... since nothing was found.

BIL is taking it all seriously. He's met with a lawyer to set up his will. He's met with the family preferred funeral director to pre-pay his cremation/internment. He's calling everyone in the family several times a week - but is amazingly positive. He's decided to do chemo and radiation concurrent, which starts next week. Hoping for a magic bullet or at least remission.

DH is planning on visiting him soon. (Good news is Pennsylvania no longer has Californians on the must quarantine list.)

So sorry Rodi.

i have to say while I was dreading my first one (and put it off by a few months only to do it in mid-march right when covid went into first gear....oi, I called them twice the day before "are you SURE you'll be open tomorrow before I drink this stuff...."), even the prep wasn't as bad as advertised.

I've done juice cleanses that were more uncomfortable. So yeah, anyone who is put off by the prep - it's probably not as terrible as you imagine.

What prep did you use? I was given SuPrep and after the first huge glass, started on the second and vomited the whole thing up before it had a chance to do anything. I resolved to do the second half of the prep as scheduled early the next morning but couldn't stop gagging long enough to drink it. Soooooo...still trying to reschedule and find a prep more palatable than SuPrep.

So sorry about your BIL. I hope the treatments help.

I started having issues in March but am not due for a colonoscopy for 18 months. Five days after CA shut down, I received an e-mail from my doctor to update my online account. I did that. My husband did not receive the same e-mail and he is due this year. I took this as a sign I should have one done soon. Turns out the e-mail was sent out by mistake.

I waited until July because of our shutdown. Had a colonoscopy on 7/16. Had one polyp removed that the doctor thought was fine. Turns out it was high grade dysplasia. The pathologist told the doctor I needed to have more tissue removed. So, two weeks later I had another colonoscopy. Everything is now fine. If I hadn't gone this year, I may not have had cancer in 18 months but one never knows so I'm really glad I did it. I now have to go back in a year...I burst out laughing when he told me. I was hoping for three years. The doctor was glad I thought it was funny.

The first three doses of the prep were fine...that last one before my second colonoscopy was really difficult to get down!

I had my first colonoscopy at the age of 45...my MIL went through h*ll with her colon cancer treatments 21 years ago and I decided I was going to start early.

The procedure is no big deal. I actually have them put me in twilight so I can watch and remember. My favorite part is getting to eat afterwards and then having an excuse to take a nap!

If you are due to have one, make an appointment on Tuesday. Do not wait!

last time I had one the doc said I don't need another for 10 years.

My wife, age 72, had one last year and the doc said the same thing to her. She said to him, "If you think I am going to have a colonoscopy at 82 you are nuts."

My wife, age 72, had one last year and the doc said the same thing to her. She said to him, "If you think I am going to have a colonoscopy at 82 you are nuts."

If I'm still around for mine I'll be older than that, but having watched a wife die from cancer, and seeing what it does to a person, I'll go for the colonoscopy, it's a minor inconvenience.

Gas can be a complaint. My nurse and doctor encouraged me to get it out in recovery. Don't be shy! They pump you up. You gotta blow it out.

It could be that you are naturally shy about it and reflexively retained it. The longer it stays, the more it can find places to hide out.

I dream a lot too. I think it is a propofol thing.

True....they DO "inflate"/insufflate you - I understand you can also ask them to exsufflate you as for some it can take a long time and be quite painful before they can naturally get rid of all the gas.

I did ColonGuard 2 years ago instead of colonoscopy. It is 92% - 94% accurate to detect Colon cancer and was recommended by my doctor. Cost was about $500. Found no cancer. :) So, I was able to avoid colonoscopy, but still got tested for colon cancer.

https://www.cologuardtest.com/effec...mance in adults ages,of patients 50 and older.

Colon guard screening or something similar is standard of care in Ontario, which I do, but I am wondering what comparable risk is versus scoping?

Best wishes to your BIL in his fight.

Yet another cautionary tale - In spite of knowing that our father survived early stage colon cancer at age 50 (he's now 90), my brother chose not to get tested. At age 58, he had some symptoms, had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed at stage 4. He passed away 2 yrs later.

PLEASE do not put this test off! Due to the family history and some visible blood, I've been doing them since I was 40. While the prep ain't fun, it's so worth it. I was even able to convince DH (who avoids doctors like the plague) to get his on time at age 50. Much to his surprise, he had more polyps than I did and is now on the 5 yr plan right along with me.

What prep did you use? I was given SuPrep and after the first huge glass, started on the second and vomited the whole thing up before it had a chance to do anything. I resolved to do the second half of the prep as scheduled early the next morning but couldn't stop gagging long enough to drink it. Soooooo...still trying to reschedule and find a prep more palatable than SuPrep.

I think you have to find what works for you.

I use SuPrep, and I kind of like the taste. Is that weird or what? Then again, since I chug the whole thing, it is just a slight grape kool-aid aftertaste to me.

But I understand. I do. I have this system that does not easily vomit. I've only vomited twice in the last 45 years. For others, the shear volume of liquid they ask you to take is simply too much.

The type of preparation is worth a discussion with your doctor if you have concerns. BTW, they used to have these pills... I understand they are not offered anymore due to kidney damage.

BIL had been putting it off. He's 63 and finally went in for his first colonoscopy. He has stage 4 rectal cancer. No pain, no symptoms... says he's in the best shape, physically he's ever been in. (Has recently started doing more cycling.) There are masses in his lungs and on a kidney.

He's kicking himself that he didn't do it sooner.

So, yeah... colonoscopies are not fun - especially the prep. But do it on a regular schedule.

My mother’s brother and my father’s brother both died of stage 4 colon cancer; both put off the colonoscopies until too late. I get one every 5 years because of the family history. Prep isn’t fun, but the peace of mind is so worth it!

My first colonoscopy was about 35 years ago and I woke up screaming in the middle of it. The doctor said "I'm almost done, you'll be fine." He wasn't, and I wasn't.

Of course I never went near his door again. Before each procedure now, I tell that story and then say "If I wake up during the middle of this one, everyone in this room is going to get a colonoscopy. Without sedation."
They all laugh, so I give 'em a stern look and say "I'm not kidding."
Everyone gets really serious.
I take a nice nap and don't wake up until it's over. With the propofol they use now days, recovery is definitely quicker.

The prep is no fun but it's not actually painful.

Those on 3 or 5 year plans does insurance cover it?
First colonostipy at 52, doc said 3 plan, My cost from that one was about $2k out of pocket, I have blue cross .
Wife had hers last year and is on the 5 year plan, her out of pocket was $0, different insurance.

We we be on the hook for the full amount next round of probing?

What happens if we change insurance plans, does the new insurance company see it a as the first procedure as diagnostic and not preventive?

Damn , sorry to hear that. I had one at 50 and it revealed everything was fine. I'm 54 now. I was under the impression I don't need another one until 60. Is that right?

I'm 54 now. I was under the impression I don't need another one until 60. Is that right?

As your doctor I'd recommend that you talk to your doctor.

Those on 3 or 5 year plans does insurance cover it?
First colonostipy at 52, doc said 3 plan, My cost from that one was about $2k out of pocket, I have blue cross .
Wife had hers last year and is on the 5 year plan, her out of pocket was $0, different insurance.

We we be on the hook for the full amount next round of probing?

What happens if we change insurance plans, does the new insurance company see it a as the first procedure as diagnostic and not preventive?
Mine (United) covered my 1 and 3 follow ups 100% even though I was on a high deductible plan. I've since switched to BC/BS. You make me nervous.

Question: was your 3 year follow up before ACA?

BTW, your history is your history, not necessarily the history with your insurance. It is all electronic now and a common record.

As your doctor I'd recommend that you talk to your doctor.

hahaha

he said 60, but lately I'm dubious of doctors and the people on this board seem very knowledgeable!

hahaha

he said 60, but lately I'm dubious of doctors and the people on this board seem very knowledgeable!

I didn't have any polyps either, at 52. Doc said come back in 10 years. The 10 year interval seems to be standard if nothing is found. But if there is family history, that may be another story ...

hahaha

Free866-my situation was the same as you--had my first colonoscopy at 50, no problems so I was on the 10 year plan, second at 60, no problems so I will have the next one soon at age 70. I think the general rule is that you have them every 10 years unless there is a problem so that is why your doctor recommended you have your next at 60. Of course if you have any issues before then you would want to go back sooner.

Free866-my situation was the same as you--had my first colonoscopy at 50, no problems so I was on the 10 year plan, second at 60, no problems so I will have the next one soon at age 70. I think the general rule is that you have them every 10 years unless there is a problem so that is why your doctor recommended you have your next at 60. Of course if you have any issues before then you would want to go back sooner.

Gotcha.
As of now, at 54, my only "health concern" is my hearing....maybe another thread for that.

I had my first one in 2011, so coming up on my next one in 2021.

About the prep. My doctor last time had all the usual prep instructions including, “you can eat as many hard boiled eggs as you desire.” I had always heard no solid food so I asked about this and he said that hard boiled eggs leave no residue in the colon. I felt like this really helped getting through the prep.

That doctor has retired so I’ll have to see what the new doc says in his prep instructions. But I’ll remember that info about the eggs.

I just read that the American Cancer Society now recommends that people of average risk start getting colon screenings at age 45 (rather than 50) and stop at age 75. The reason that they are lowering the age is because more younger people are getting colon cancer.

Local radio guy here just died at 48 from colon cancer. Really sucks because he was before the age they recommend testing. Just heard of another guy at 45. Seems they should move up the first test to 40.

Back
Top Bottom