Future contribution direction?

My Roth and DW's are in VTSMX. They have been slaughtered with all the other sheep but I'm about to send the 2009 contribution to the same fate or not.
FWIW, Morningstar says that while VTSMX lost almost 31% in 2008, it beat the average of its peer group (47 small stock blend funds, mostly actively managed) by 5.78% over the same time period. How could an index fund remain fully invested and still beat so many smart, professional stock pickers? I guess these so-called experts just don't have access to the great stock picking and market timing systems that so any other folks seem to know about. The mind boggles. (Bogles?)

My AA is 40% bond, with the remaining 60% in equities, 1/2 of the equity portion is in international and emerging markets, is this too much exposure to international? My equity mix is split between small & large cap and international and domestic. Most of the funds are predominately index funds, but do have exposure to some active managed funds such as Dodge & Cox stock fund, Vanguards Wellington and STAR funds.

Age = 49 & 51, plan to work full time for atleast 10 years. Looking for feedback on current direction of investments and suggestions/reccomendations where you feel would be wise in this market.
At 56 years, my targets are 39/18/39/4, US/Int'l/Bond/Cash. Your allocation may beat mine, no one knows!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom