Gardeners

Garden was completely massacred by deer last night.

I'm about to give up. Countless hours down the drain.

Mom and Bambi have been around. Someone nearby is giving housing and quarter to the enemy and then they go out for twilight raids.

All joking aside, this is a first. Cucumbers down to the nubs. Even the tomatoes were hit. I've never seen the tomatoes munched on.

I'm going to have to re-evaluate whether I want to do this or whether I want to invest in more barriers.

Maybe you should stop trying to save money on vegetables, and save some money on meat. No fencing needed, just a box of 30-06 ammo. Your gardening neighbors will probably be grateful enough to share some veggies with you.

Replaced my sad looking peppers that were stuck at doing nothing, although this was the earliest I've ever tilled and put plants in ground. I did wait until ground was 55 degrees before I put peppers and tomatoes in ground. Surprisingly, my Alaska peas are also stuck about 6" high. Our lettuce is just about done after about 12-15 harvest trims.

My 42" fence is held up with 8' 4x4 posts. Going around the top in 2 strands are super heavy fishing line recommended by an ER,org forum member here about 5 years ago. Works exceptionally well for me, but I don't want to jinx myself.

Replaced my sad looking peppers that were stuck at doing nothing, although this was the earliest I've ever tilled and put plants in ground. I did wait until ground was 55 degrees before I put peppers and tomatoes in ground. Surprisingly, my Alaska peas are also stuck about 6" high. Our lettuce is just about done after about 12-15 harvest trims.

My 42" fence is held up with 8' 4x4 posts. Going around the top in 2 strands are super heavy fishing line recommended by an ER,org forum member here about 5 years ago. Works exceptionally well for me, but I don't want to jinx myself.

Yes, another well proven way to keep deer out of garden.

Maybe you should stop trying to save money on vegetables, and save some money on meat. No fencing needed, just a box of 30-06 ammo. Your gardening neighbors will probably be grateful enough to share some veggies with you.
Ha ha on the saving money. [emoji3]

This mostly for fun, education and taste. I'm pretty sure I'm net in the hole, although the lettuce harvest this spring was positive. Lettuce grows low enough that I covered my beds with a top.

I'll say this much about this hobby: I have come to love and appreciate our farmers.

I'll say this much about this hobby: I have come to love and appreciate our farmers.
Yes, indeed. I also enjoy growing my own food, but I'm glad I don't have to try to make a living doing it.

My wife was given some seeds she thought was a luffa, turns out they weren't, but what are they?

OP here, my wife got to the bottom of the mystery seeds.
It is a heirloom muskmellon!

Attachments

• Muskmellon seed package.jpg
    Muskmellon seed package.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Unknown fruit.jpg
    Unknown fruit.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 31
While we have been harvesting asparagus, broccoli and radishes for a month now, today was the first day to harvest anything else. We picked cucumbers, zucchini, kale, a cabbage and a bunch of herbs to take with us to Maine tomorrow. Sadly, the peas will not be ready for picking until next week. At least the neighbors will be able to have some fresh peas while we're gone (they tend our plot for us when we're away).

Last edited:
While we have been harvesting asparagus, broccoli and radishes for a month now, today was the first day to harvest anything else. We picked cucumbers, zucchini, kale, a cabbage and a bunch of herbs to take with us to Maine tomorrow. Sadly, the peas will not be ready for picking until next week. At least the neighbors will be able to have some fresh peas while we're gone (they tend our plot for us when we're away).
Sounds yummy!

OP here, my wife got to the bottom of the mystery seeds.
It is a heirloom muskmellon!

Hmm..I've grown Hale's Best and they looked like a typical muskmelon, round with netted skin. Guess you'll know for sure when you pick it and cut it open. Keep us posted.

I was thinning carrots and beets in the garden this morning and heard some noise behind me. Whoa! A baby bunny! So I scooped it up and placed it outside the garden and returned to my thinning. Whoa! Another noise and another rabbit! I corralled him/her and put it where I released the other. Back to thinning, DW calls from the other side that there's another 2 eared cotton tailed dragon in the cabbage plants. Well, I scoop this monster up and this time, this critter gets taken 300 ' away in the other neighbor's yard, along the woods line.

I commenced with recon garden fence repair, crack abatement, and parachute infiltration Patriot Winemaker missile defense system. Fortunately, no damage had been observed initially by front line observation. Patrols have been increased in the immediate area, back up plans have been initiated subscribed. It has been over 5 years since last infiltration, and while I don't mind sharing a little, feeding 3 new dependents at 65, is out of the question. Especially when I can't claim them on my 1040 tax return.

How wide/deep must a moat be? Just a simple water moat, no alligators or floating fiery oil. Yet......

Reports from 2nd patrol result in a 4th illegal scoundrel located but not captured after several attempts. Spies are being recruited and actively pursued. Live trap set on advice of DW, lettuce is bait, but the whole garden is, also. 3rd patrol scheduled within hour.

3rd patrol reports no minor illegal scoundrels found, however, one adult found amidst carrots and beets, intelligence suggest adult trying to pick up scent of the 3 AWOL monsters. It exits out the open gate left by patrol. 4th and 5th patrols see adult monster outside perimeter with minor illegal scoundrels in neighbors yard. Night surveillance equipment optimized and energized. Plans to add short 18" fence at gate initialized and materials ordered.

I've had lots of problems this year but deer haven't been one of them. This concept of a psychological deer fence has been a miracle. So easy to do.

https://growfoodwell.com/build-a-deer-fence/

Besides our raised rows, we decided to do two 30" high raised metal beds to save the back. We bought two Birdie Beds from Epic Gardening. They are so wonderful. Too bad nothing is growing in them. We followed all directions by putting logs/branches in the bottom, filling with bulk garden soil, mushroom compost, homemade compost...Well, we're wondering if we somehow got some bad garden soil from the local landscaping company because those beds have produced zilch. So frustrating. We'll keep trying to figure it out...

But the deer? Not a problem at all. If you watch the video, the second inner fence we did with 4' tall rabbit fencing. No more rabbits either. Now tomato hornworms and squash fungus are other matters.

One thing we did learn...We go out at night with a blacklight flashlight and search for tomato hornworms. It's crazy but the tomato hornworms will glow a bright neon green when that blacklight shines on them. It's been the most effective way to get rid of them...just pick them off and destroy them. I got the mini blacklight flashlights on Amazon.

Good luck!

Early morning maneuvers have detected no further infiltration, damage or invasion. Tensions have somewhat eased, but patrols are still timely.

I bought a electric pruning machine last oct. But my dogs having trouble so hardly used except pruning black berry early this year. My next door who moved in not so long ago with housing assistant program. She asked a rake to remove leaves. Later she asked to use my lawn mower. But she was standing her deck and made me walk to her side with finger gesture and asked the use. I kinda felt not good in that gesture, and her lawns were taller knee height. I made a hesitated facial, and kinda refused. a couple week ago, she asked for pruner, I had a manual, but forgot about it. And I was about to take a nap. I let her use the electric pruner thinking just little of use to cut a few things. And she came back saying the battery was dead and asked to charge it and come back to get it. When I saw it, the new blade got a small chip. And she used the whole yard fence branch cutting. And after I changed to new battery, it kept making error sign. So thinking to check the manual. so now few week later, checked the manual, cant find, and now it is immediately dead with full battery sign whenever I turn on. I need it now to cut my fully covering blackberry branch cut. I paid for $300+tax. If I ask her for the replacement for the machine part, it is $150+tax.

What would you do?

I bought a electric pruning machine last oct. But my dogs having trouble so hardly used except pruning black berry early this year. My next door who moved in not so long ago with housing assistant program. She asked a rake to remove leaves. Later she asked to use my lawn mower. But she was standing her deck and made me walk to her side with finger gesture and asked the use. I kinda felt not good in that gesture, and her lawns were taller knee height. I made a hesitated facial, and kinda refused. a couple week ago, she asked for pruner, I had a manual, but forgot about it. And I was about to take a nap. I let her use the electric pruner thinking just little of use to cut a few things. And she came back saying the battery was dead and asked to charge it and come back to get it. When I saw it, the new blade got a small chip. And she used the whole yard fence branch cutting. And after I changed to new battery, it kept making error sign. So thinking to check the manual. so now few week later, checked the manual, cant find, and now it is immediately dead with full battery sign whenever I turn on. I need it now to cut my fully covering blackberry branch cut. I paid for $300+tax. If I ask her for the replacement for the machine part, it is $150+tax.

What would you do?
I'm sorry. I would consider it a lessen learned, not lend her more tools and pay for the replacement yourself. It is not being unkind to set that boundary b/c now you have more information. But if she's on housing assistance, I think trying to get her to pay to replace it would be a frustrating experience, especially because she is still your neighbor and you'll still be having to deal with her. Just move on. Firm boundary and case closed and all of that.

At this point, additional defense mechanisms and procedures have been extremely fruitful. No illegal immigration by vegetative consumers detected. Several rushed advances have been repelled by walking the perimeter of said fenced garden, upon observation facilities high above said fenced garden. Women and children are sleeping well, men, with one eye open.

At this point, additional defense mechanisms and procedures have been extremely fruitful. No illegal immigration by vegetative consumers detected. Several rushed advances have been repelled by walking the perimeter of said fenced garden, upon observation facilities high above said fenced garden. Women and children are sleeping well, men, with one eye open.
Love the commentary. Glad you have been successful in stopping the invasion.

Winemaker for president!

I respectfully decline; I'm retired. But I wouldn't mind zooming in a few Cabinet meetings to make a few suggestions. My j*b was in first line and middle management; one had to be results oriented and have some sense of humor, to advance/get paid well.

We've got a few tomato plants in, including a thriving volunteer that was half behind a hedge. (Trimmed back the hedge so it gets more sunlight). But as timbervest said - june gloom is slowing the tomatoes from ripening. We've got a boatload of basil - because we love pesto... lots of oregano & thyme, also. Onions and garlic are doing well - but a section of the onion patch was taken out by a gopher. We're switching some of our plants to pots because the gophers seem to come underground and eat the roots.

Our trees are doing well - lots of lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruits... Plus our fig tree and our avocado trees have some baby fruit on them.

We've got a few tomato plants in, including a thriving volunteer that was half behind a hedge. (Trimmed back the hedge so it gets more sunlight). But as timbervest said - june gloom is slowing the tomatoes from ripening. We've got a boatload of basil - because we love pesto... lots of oregano & thyme, also. Onions and garlic are doing well - but a section of the onion patch was taken out by a gopher. We're switching some of our plants to pots because the gophers seem to come underground and eat the roots.

Our trees are doing well - lots of lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruits... Plus our fig tree and our avocado trees have some baby fruit on them.

Not sure if I ever have seen one of those trees in real life. Lol

Sounds great to be able to go out and pick an orange or grapefruit from your tree and yard. That would be awesome!

I had not been out to the garden for 8 or 9 days. Out of 7 tomato plants, 1 is double the size of the others and triple the size it was 8 or 9 days ago! 6 are the same variety and the 7th is a cherry tomato. I have grown that variety (the 6 plants) for decades but never saw a plant shoot up that fast, the other 5 are basically the same size as is the cherry.

I doubt there has been 2 days of sun all June, scattered and pop up showers 50% of the month that drop 0.02 to 0.04" of rain a day (TV weather confirmed that with a graph tonight) and until 4 or 5 days ago most every day has been well below average, Saturday, 6/25, was the 1st time I used the central air it has been that cool and cloudy. Torrential down pours on and off all day with terrible humidity, probably more rain today than all this and last month combined.

No further intrusions have been observed, crisis averted. However, news and pictures of a black bear in town2 days have surfaced. On Friday evening, while DW and I were enjoying the sunset, there was some unusual noises heard in the woods behind the house. Who knows? Maybe that triggered a flight to safety in my garden.

No further intrusions have been observed, crisis averted. However, news and pictures of a black bear in town2 days have surfaced. On Friday evening, while DW and I were enjoying the sunset, there was some unusual noises heard in the woods behind the house. Who knows? Maybe that triggered a flight to safety in my garden.

I've had to trap 3 woodchucks so far this year..........all basically trying to dig their way into my garden. One did make it in, and did some damage before I was able to trap him. It's the same thing every year around here with the woodchucks. They den under an old, falling-down garage across the street, then eventually make their way over here to check out my garden, and my neighbor's garden. Gardens are like magnets to woodchucks........

Is your garden fenced?

Back
Top Bottom