Gastronomically delightful travel destinations

For me, it's New Orleans Creole Italian food hands down. But then, for me, there are no travel costs whatsoever and it is sooooo convenient.

I have to stay very aware of calories here, and some dishes I choose to only order once or twice a year because they are as fattening as they are fabulous. As a tourist, that probably would not pose a problem, but when you live here, if you tend to gain weight then you have to be pretty judicious in your choices.

New Orleans is the only place I've ever traveled specifically for purposes of eating. The restaurants are great and Cajun food of all kinds is amazing. The seafood is awesome. Its probably good I don't live there. I actually think the city smells bad. But I love the culture and the vibe. And the food.....

I've eaten well in Vegas. And the seafood in Boston and San Fran is terrific.

Not a big fan of any international food with the exception of Monterrey Mexico. Food in Russia, India, and China was not for me but maybe I'm too picky. Brazilian food was decent.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My favorite foodie cities in the states are New Orleans, Charleston, SC, Chicago and Columbus, OH. Internationally I've had wonderful paella in Segovia and excellent food in Mexico (mole sauces of Oaxaca region). I'm planning a trip in December to Napa/Sonoma so that may be added soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Three favorite experiences come to mind:

1. Panama City, Panama: absolutely phenomenal combo of fresh seafood and others ingredients plus French and Spanish influences from colonial history. Was an amazing surprise.
2. French countryside: 4 hr meals in small Auberge, warm friendly service and good company.
3. SF Chinatown: which can be found in many places; particularly dim sum.

Mmmmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I remember going to Kyoto for a martial arts trip our group was taking and in Kyoto a friend and I went out exploring for something to eat.

Everything was soooo expensive at the regular restaurants, then we happened on something I had never seen before - chairs and a counter space set up around a griddle serving some sort of 'pancake' made with a flourish of expose ala 'benihanna'.

Turns out is was okonomiyaki - amazingly delicious and cheap! One of my fondest overseas 'gastronomical delights' memories!

My favorite foodie cities in the states are New Orleans, Charleston, SC, Chicago and Columbus, OH. Internationally I've had wonderful paella in Segovia and excellent food in Mexico (mole sauces of Oaxaca region). I'm planning a trip in December to Napa/Sonoma so that may be added soon.
I completely forgot about Charleston, SC. You're right, it's a great food town.

Oaxaca is an all-around wonderful place to visit, and the fantastic food there is one of its many attractions.

Seldom and a bad meal in France. From Normandy to Nice, west of the Rhone.

Was disappointed in Rome on the Via Veneto. Tourist areas were better. Cinque Terra, Lake Como, Amalfi.

Spain from Barcelona to Malaga was good. We even had some excellent food in Zagreb on the side streets off the main plaza. But Istanbul stood out for us. Old town.

We eat well in PV during the winter but it is the tourists/gays that help bring the good food experience. Mexican has so many varieties, it is hard to generalize. But there is a French bistro that is genuine. You could be on a side street in Paris. And the chef from the Night of the Iguana director has a fabulous place that never disappoints.

We also eat well in Vancouver although we have to pay the price!

I love the small places off the beaten track in SF and NY that exist because of the food and not the reputation among tourists. Also liked most places in NO French Quarter.

MichaelB, while it will not top the NY steak houses, a fun SW dining spot is Cattleman's Steakhouse 30 miles east of El Paso. It is in the desert in the middle of nowhere. It is also a movie lot where many western films were filmed. Fun sprawling place with decent steak. Hotter than heck in El Paso, but when you got done eating and headed back, the desert air was cold. Well worth a visit. Cattleman's Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch near El Paso, Texas

Back
Top Bottom