Geriatric financial management & asset allocations

It sure sounds complicated to arrange all this. For my wife and me, there's no one to make geriatric arrangements for us except us. As I read through your account, I'm wondering how to get enough pieces into place over the next few years so that we can somehow survive for a time into old age. Why don't you write a book on it, and this time take the profits?

Back when were going through it, I was told nursing homes will hold beds but not for long periods of absence... especially if they have waiting list.

Medicaid requires a NH to hold a bed for fifteen days when a Medicaid recipient is hospitalized. Generally, this is more than sufficient as hospitals rarely keep people more than a few days. This is the standard although some states permit an extra five days on appeal.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Our discussions with a geriatric lawyer were well worth the $700 we paid. We know we're on the right path document-wise and known the ropes to qualify for Medicaid when the time comes. If you are in this situation and want to explore vehicles to retain some of your relatives assets, a good geriatric lawyer can explain vehicles that will overcome the 5 year look-back provision with Medicaid; I expect this varies from state to state....

:nonono: As I indicated earlier in this thread, I most certainly advocate getting the assistance of an attorney that has been trained in eldercare law. This means an attorney that understands Medicare, Medicaid, LTC insurance, estate planning, and advance directives. There are also shisters out there that claim to be able to help you "get around" the five year look-back provision for Medicaid. Don't buy into this. Your Department of Social Services (DSS) have experts that know exactly how and where to look to see if you have transferred mom or dad's assets to a trust, a corporation, or offshore. If you think no one will notice a little fraud here and there, I can tell you stories of two families that have made improper filings with the state and they are now working it out with the states attorney. By the way, they were denied admission to our NH for the same reason. Medicaid is a federal program but application and administration is done through a state agency such as DSS.

Make sure your attorney is a true eldercare attorney.

Medicaid (IMHO) is a program designed to provide for the care of poor infirm citizens, not to preserve money for heirs. This is not a program to use because "we all pay into it." Yes, we all pay into it so that these people will not die under our bridges or.. God forbid.. must be cared for 24/7 by their families. Often Medicaid accepting care facilities are very basic because what they receive barely covers the cost of care. Some facilities will accept Medicaid only if the patient has resided in the facility for an extended period, they are not required to accept a Medicaid patient. Those facilities are often much nicer.

Back to my earlier rant, while a spouse's assets should be protected so that their daily needs can be met, a patent's assets should be used to pay for their care and public assistance (Medicaid) only when those resources have been exhausted.

Nords-

Congrats on prevailing! It takes a lot of energy and perseverance in situations like this; I admire your fortitude. Your dad would be proud if he knew the details of your efforts.

Col K: excellent advice and a good caution but, honestly, who said anything about fraud? The look-back is now typically 5yrs; it used to be about 3 yrs and the qualification criteria were also more lenient. Guess why the rules changed? It certainly has nothing to do with fairness or need; it's the gummint's $ & cents. My point is that it's simply knowing what the rules are and following them (much like Nords made JH follow the rules of the contract they signed).

Medicaid (IMHO) is a program designed to provide for the care of poor infirm citizens, not to preserve money for heirs. This is not a program to use because "we all pay into it." Yes, we all pay into it so that these people will not die under our bridges or.. God forbid.. must be cared for 24/7 by their families. Often Medicaid accepting care facilities are very basic because what they receive barely covers the cost of care. Some facilities will accept Medicaid only if the patient has resided in the facility for an extended period, they are not required to accept a Medicaid patient. Those facilities are often much nicer.

Back to my earlier rant, while a spouse's assets should be protected so that their daily needs can be met, a patent's assets should be used to pay for their care and public assistance (Medicaid) only when those resources have been exhausted.

Friends: there seems to be more parsing going on here than than slicing cheddar with a razor. This entire website is predicated on finding financial advantages, especially tax avoidance, for personal financial gain and eventual financial independence. But, for reasons I don't understand, some view that same behavior very differently when it comes to using Medicare/Medicaid in accordance with the existing regulations. Come on folks - let's be honest; especially with ourselves.

Ah the sweet taste of victory! Congrats, Nords. And you did it without having to resort to lawyers or the insurance department. Very nice.

Nords , You are doing a great job . We are going through something similar with my Mom and it is exhausting .

It sure sounds complicated to arrange all this. For my wife and me, there's no one to make geriatric arrangements for us except us. As I read through your account, I'm wondering how to get enough pieces into place over the next few years so that we can somehow survive for a time into old age. Why don't you write a book on it, and this time take the profits?
I can save you all the time needed for writing & publishing: call Ho'okele Health and tell Dew-Anne or Bonnie I suggested you talk with them...

Medicare is health insurance, not targeted for the poor. Medicaid is for the poor. Let me be honest here: those who do as you advocate are one degree away from stealing from us all.

Col K: excellent advice and a good caution but, honestly, who said anything about fraud? The look-back is now typically 5yrs; it used to be about 3 yrs and the qualification criteria were also more lenient. Guess why the rules changed? It certainly has nothing to do with fairness or need; it's the gummint's $ & cents. My point is that it's simply knowing what the rules are and following them (much like Nords made JH follow the rules of the contract they signed).
Friends: there seems to be more parsing going on here than than slicing cheddar with a razor. This entire website is predicated on finding financial advantages, especially tax avoidance, for personal financial gain and eventual financial independence. But, for reasons I don't understand, some view that same behavior very differently when it comes to using Medicare/Medicaid in accordance with the existing regulations. Come on folks - let's be honest; especially with ourselves.
Medicare is health insurance, not targeted for the poor. Medicaid is for the poor. Let me be honest here: those who do as you advocate are one degree away from stealing from us all.
I find it interesting that folks who post phrases like the one above seem to lack the ability to be honest with themselves.
Medicaid was not intended as a program to force taxpayers to fund inheritances.
C'mon, guys, let's move the Medicaid debate to a different thread-- so that this one can continue without fear of moderator closure.

As far as I'm concerned, Medicaid is not an issue here. My father appears to have assets in excess of life expectancy. End of asset-sheltering discussion here-- take it to a new thread.

"Quarterly update". Maybe this can go to a semi-annual or annual interval.

John Hancock and I have settled into a routine. It's a customer-hostile, cumbersome, and error-prone routine, but it's a routine. I forward the care facility's bills via fax-- no acknowledgment from Hancock, just a transmission log. Six weeks later Hancock snail-mails me a check, which Dad's brokerage will accept-- endorsed for deposit only, again via snail mail.

For some reason Hancock is sending me the policy's max limit of $240/day instead of the care facility's $214/day. This has happened for several months in a row now, and it's clearly labeled, so it's deliberate. I guess Hancock figures we have additional expenses or else they haven't caught a clerical error. I'm afraid to ask. We'll see if Hancock's inflation rider kicks in another 5% as scheduled for January. Of course the care facility may kick in an inflation rider of their own in March, when Dad will have been there for a year, and their inflation rider will probably be bigger than Hancock's. But hopefully I never have to speak to Hancock again.

Yes, I'm trashing Hancock on a public discussion board. If you're a Hancock employee and you want equal time, please post here or contact me. I'd love to discuss the procedures.

However once more I'm thankful that Dad bought the policy in late 1992, before the insurance companies had really figured out how expensive LTC would be. It's not a lottery to aspire to win, but it could pay more than 25:1 over his premiums.

Dad's doing fine in the care facility, and he's happy there. His Alzheimer's symptoms have stabilized with their care. He's coping with the myeloma symptoms and is waiting for chemotherapy. (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/multiple-myeloma-questions-58350.html and http://www.early-retirement.org/for...-of-waldenstr-ms-macroglobulinemia-58633.html ) He's sleeping more than he should (anemia and Vicodin for the pain), and he's weak, and he's losing weight, and these are all bad signs, but this is all in the category of "as well as can be expected". I guess the good news is that if Alzheimer's gives him the urge to wander then he won't go far. I haven't heard of a chemo start date yet but the oncologist might be waiting on medications or arranging the first session around the holidays or straightening out some other medical issue. The billing has gone fine and my brother will let me know when the chemo starts. Considering that the only other options are palliative, there aren't really any other options.

Our lawyer has finally managed to prep & file the petitions. I've learned that guardianship/conservatorship petitions are considered a low-margin service that all lawyers promptly drop to the bottom of their "To Do" list. However our lawyer's filing was also full of "typographical errors". Those errors were pointed out by my brother and me when she drafted them, but somehow they still made it to the final version. It's almost as if she never bothered to correct the typos that we pointed out to her.

We've also experienced a number of other lawyer "lack of contact" [-]excuses[/-] problems that would be amusing if we hadn't already sunk so much time & effort into this particular member of the bar. Maybe she's actually saving us a lot of money by not bothering to respond to our phone calls & e-mails. I guess more "good" news is that she's agreed not to bill us for whatever it was she wasn't doing in August & September. I haven't seen a bill since June but it'll be interesting to compare her timesheet to my logs. Let's just say that if you're looking for a Colorado lawyer, I can suggest who not to call. My brother and I have discussed filing complaints and pushing for legal censorship and other punitive reprisal options, but the reality is that we just want to pay a reasonable bill and move on with our lives.

Last month we got a call from the probate court's interviewer. He's a retired civil servant who gets paid $100 to interview the parties to the petition and report back to the probate judge. It's his job to get you babbling away on the phone, but even so he was quite enjoyable to talk with and he explained a lot of the process. He also commented on how good my Dad is at bluffing by affably socializing without actually contributing hard info to a conversation. If he'd run into Dad at a coffee shop and struck up a chat, he never would have realized that Dad was so far into Alzheimer's. Dad wants my brother and me to take over guardianship/conservatorship (not that he's considered competent to make that decision) so the hearing should go quickly.

Over the 30-minute interview I learned what to expect from the court appearance, what questions the judge might ask, and how the court oversees the conservators. He mentioned a state association of guardians who would help families file their petitions without any lawyers at all, and who also help guardians with support groups & counseling. (I'll have to see if Hawaii has a conservator support group.) He even asked why I thought I was qualified to be a conservator-- that went way beyond the petition's documentation into a discussion of early retirement, investing experience, blogging, and publishing the book. He said that when you petition for conservatorship it is not a time to be humble. He said that the court has no problems with conservators reimbursing themselves for expenses incurred for their ward's benefit. (This means I can continue to reimburse myself if I have to make a credit-card charge.) They're more concerned that every penny of spending is accounted for and that no fraud or neglect is occurring. He asked a few questions about how Dad's bills are being paid now, and he seemed happy with the answers.

By this point it was clear that our lawyer was not effectively communicating, so I flung caution to the winds and shared a couple concerns with the interviewer. My father thinks I'm his old college roommate, so if I had to appear in a courtroom and was addressed as his son in his presence then it would cause quite a bit of confusion. The court has flexibility with uncontested petitions, and the interviewer said that he'd log our concerns and request that my "appearance" be done by phone.

Last week the lawyer's paralegal called to announce that we're on the court calendar for 19 Dec. I'll be able to phone in (voice only, no Skype required). Assuming everything goes well, I should have my conservator's appointment letter shortly afterward.

The next step will be contacting Dad's bank manager with the appointment letter so that we can move his checking account (paying 0.05% interest) into a CD ladder. I'll set up an EFT link to his Fidelity brokerage account so that we can move money as needed. (The bank CDs might be better than the brokerage.) Finally, Dad has a minimum-balance Vanguard account in their S&P500 index so I'll ask Fidelity to transfer those shares in-kind and then shut down the Vanguard account. I don't need to use his credit cards (which have already expired) so I'll just keep the company's new cards in our files until they decide to close his account.

When 2012 arrives I'll do some more tax-efficient rebalancing to get rid of more stocks (and equity mutual funds with high expenses) to raise Dad's cash allocation. (He's about 70% equities now, and that needs to drop to about 25% or less. Earlier this year he was over 85%.) Last year his tax return only took a couple hours and this year, since I don't have to search for his tax files, it should be even faster.

This has been a hellacious learning curve but it's starting to flatten. I'm reading "A Bittersweet Season" by Jane Gross so I have a new appreciation for "bad".

I'm thankful that Dad lived such a low-key lifestyle for the last 20 years. (I know that he enjoyed its simplicity and freedom.) For most of that time he was easily banking half his pension check and all of his Social Security. He lived in a bare-bones 2BR apartment in a small Western town and drove a 12-year-old Explorer. He bought few toys, owned minimal material possessions, and his closets were mostly empty. His hobbies were investments, reading, and hiking the western national parks. He substantially bolstered his net worth. His spending steadily declined during his ER and his consistent savings left him financially sound for the rest of his life. Ty Bernicke claims that elder spending drops as we hit our 70s, and that's been the case with my Dad too. Between his insurance and his modest assets, I'm pretty sure that he won't run out of money.

Unless the tax code has changed since I helped my parents with their returns the care facility bills (excluding sundries, hair cuts) are medical expenses. The LTC payments may or may not be income, you need to look at the contract. If it is income you may be able to deduct what he paid in premiums, check with IRS.

Unless the tax code has changed since I helped my parents with their returns the care facility bills (excluding sundries, hair cuts) are medical expenses. The LTC payments may or may not be income, you need to look at the contract. If it is income you may be able to deduct what he paid in premiums, check with IRS.
Those statements are all still correct. So as long as the LTC policy is covering the bills then there's no deduction. After the LTC payments stop then his medical expenses will be over $80K/year, which will take care of taxes.

Hancock, bless their [-]pointy little heads[/-] accounting expertise, was quick to point out that reimbursing care expenses in arrears means that the insurance payment is not taxable income.

I'm finally a conservator.

The hearing was Monday afternoon. Last month it was scheduled for 2:30 PM, then last week it was changed to 2 PM. At first it was in one room (with one teleconference number), and then it changed again. The morning of the hearing (90 minutes before) they changed it yet again. I'd been trying each of the phone numbers but apparently the lines weren't actually connected to phones. When I dialed in to the latest number the clerk answered, and I had to explain where to find the rest of ohana Nords & lawyers. Then we had to wait for Dad's lawyer. I was on hold for 25 minutes and my wireless phone's aging battery died in the middle of the judge's speech, but I managed to hot-swap from one receiver to the other without anyone noticing.

However last Wednesday night the lawyer ran me around for three hours. Here's her e-mail:
I have reviewed your draft Conservator's Inventory and Financial Plan, as has your dad's attorney. We agree that you need to make some additions to page 6 - 7, Item D. Under professional expenses and legal fees, enter $0 for guardian, conservator and guardian ad litem. Under Protected Person's attorney's fees, state $0 monthly, $500 - $1,000 (estimate) total under Annual. For Petitioner's attorney's fees, state $0 monthly, $3,000 (estimate) total under Annual. State $0 for care manager and CPA unless you plan to use someone. State $0 for other categories. Enter totals in Part V, Section B.
Then, please sign and fill in the Certificate of Service. Although you're filling in this section, I will take care of mailing or e-serving the parties.
Once you have completed these steps please send a pdf copy, with your signature, to my paralegal AND send the hard copy via Federal Express. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions.
PLEASE SEND THE PDF AND FED EX RIGHT AWAY SO THAT WE RECEIVE IT PRIOR TO THE HEARING.
This is unfortunately typical of her lack of response and last-minute "preparation". I especially appreciated her using the uppercase so that I could understand her better. It's confusing when lawyer sentences have all those big & little letters mixed together.

The state's website says that the (eight-page) inventory/plan is submitted after the conservator is appointed, but I'd decided to get her opinion on my draft. I'd sent it in October-- just over eight weeks before this last-minute e-mail. I figured she knew something about probate court that I didn't know, but she also doesn't understand how hard it is to ship freight during the holiday season. So I responded:
Please note that it's after 7 PM in Hawaii with only about 112 hours to go before the hearing. You have had this document for over two months. I do not understand what has delayed your feedback to this late date and I feel that our entire nine months of preparations are being held hostage to last-minute crisis management. I will do as you ask simply because I feel that we have no time left nor any other alternatives.
I will attempt to turn this around within 12 hours-- overnight. Believe it or not, I have never had to send anything by FedEx before-- but I will learn how and hopefully I will be able to complete it during Thursday's business hours.
It is unrealistic for you to expect that FedEx will be able to transport a hardcopy from these islands during holiday cargo season to arrive on Monday. Your envelope is being handled after the rest of the shipping backlog, and it's subject to weather delays or equipment problems. You may get lucky, and it may get through. But please make contingency plans as though the hardcopy doesn't show up until Wednesday.
Regardless of whether you have FedEx's hardcopy in your hands in the probate courtroom by Monday, we will still expect to be having a hearing with the judge as scheduled.

It turns out that our post office (a mile from home) closes the counter after business hours but keeps the lobby open 24/7 for the two weeks before Christmas-- and they have a FedEx drop box too. I was able to collect everything I needed for both USPS overnight mail and FedEx, but the next pickup for both wasn't until Thursday evening. (The lawyer's "crisis" e-mail missed Wednesday's deadlines by two hours.) USPS claimed they could do it by Saturday afternoon, FedEx by Monday morning. $75 later I was sending the same eight-page signed original by two different methods-- although probably in the same plane fuselage.

The lawyer's response:
I understand your frustration, and I’ve been frustrated too. We have encountered numerous problems: a change in probate judges; a new judge who has never worked in probate before; too few court staff members who are slow to respond and typically require numerous follow up calls; problems with the court’s computer having difficulty “reading” your identification information; too many cases and not enough court dates, etc. In addition, because your dad said he wanted a lawyer (even though he didn’t have any objection to the appointment of either of you), the court was required by law to appoint an attorney. This slowed down the process, too.
I should have been more clear about why I was asking for overnight delivery of the conservator’s inventory and financial plan. Although we can file a pdf, I do eventually have to have an original signature. I was thinking that, given the distance and the holiday volume, the document would arrive sooner. I never intended to stress you out and I’m sorry that happened.

I'm skeptical. It took her three months just to find a psychologist willing to assess Dad's capacity, and she only got moving after my brother suggested that we should consult a different lawyer. Even back in October she could have estimated all the info on the court's plan that she insisted she didn't have until Wednesday. I think she just "forgot", or else the other lawyer or the probate clerk asked a question.

When I read her e-mail I realized I was paying a lawyer $275/hour to argue with me, so I stopped. She never has to see another conservator's plan from me.

If you're in a large western city and you're contemplating hiring a lawyer whose last name rhymes with "Bridgeway", you might want to contact me first to discuss specific performance issues. It also turns out that the state will let you petition for guardianship & conservatorship without a lawyer, although in our case it ended up being essential.

At the hearing, the judge read from his motion. As anticipated, my brother was appointed as guardian and I was appointed as conservator. Bro's annual report is due in February and mine is due in March. I heard my father respond to a couple of questions with "Yes, your honor", and I don't think my brother had to say anything at all.

The judge commented to my Dad that he was fortunate to have a son who was actually qualified to make a plan for this situation. ERs rock.

Due to numerous delinquencies of other guardians & conservators, our court appointments are only good for 30 days past the annual filing deadlines. No report, no new appointment letter.

Over $6800 in legal bills so far, and that doesn't include the December invoice with the court appearance. Another $3700 for the psychologist's assessment of Dad's incapacitance.

I guess I'll wait a week before I start asking after the appointment letter. Hopefully the lawyer or someone from the court will e-mail it.

My dealings with lawyers at work consistently followed your pattern - get your part to me now, I will get to mine at the final hour. We ultimately had to swallow the lawyer's strategy/argument/whatever whole because there was no time to do anything else.

But as my mother used to say Nords, "you are earning your halo in heaven." :)

DW's father took a turn for the worse on Friday and died Monday night. DW certainly earned her halo during the protracted decline. Ultimately, her father had a quick and peaceful death which was a blessing. Talk about halos in heaven, the hospice nurses were saints. Others have said it before and I will say it again, hospice is the only way to go when terminal illnesses approach their end. On the financial side he was literally weeks away from running out of funds and switching to Medicaid. But he had earlier purchased funeral services, and a grave site with his first wife so that is all covered. I guess he won the "die broke" competition in perfect form.

So we probably won't be dealing with these issues until one of us starts to slide. No, wait, my three 15+ years older siblings are next up. I won't have a primary role but I will be involved.

Last edited:
My sympathies to you Nords (and donheff). I appreciate the frustration with lawyers. I have the same issues doing things like a new will. (Oh you mean you want page 2 to be consistent with page 1? Yes please!) But the best approach is to just lump it.

So we probably won't be dealing with these issues until one of us starts to slide. No, wait, my three 15+ years older siblings are next up. I won't have a primary role but I will be involved.
My brother and I are still eyeing each other warily on that issue and wondering what our plans are. I have a spouse and a child, he has a long-time girlfriend. Hopefully we won't have to be involved in each others' plans.

I'm waiting to hear back from the manager at Dad's bank, who so far is the only gatekeeper in nine months to raise questions about my involvement in Dad's finances. Ironically her bank is going to get even more of Dad's money, not less, if they offer competitive rates on short-term CDs.

Next up is changing a bunch of logins & passwords.

Finally, I'll ask Fidelity to have Vanguard transfer Dad's shares "in kind" over to his Fidelity account. Dad has just a minimum balance in Vanguard's S&P500 index, and that'll probably be his only equity holding.

I've been a long-time Fidelity customer and I'm more comfortable with their service. I can't see depositing long-term care checks at Vanguard or using their billpay system. Heck, I don't know if Vanguard even has a billpay system. I just want to consolidate as much as sensible and then try to put it into autopilot.

I've been a long-time Fidelity customer and I'm more comfortable with their service. I can't see depositing long-term care checks at Vanguard or using their billpay system. Heck, I don't know if Vanguard even has a billpay system. I just want to consolidate as much as sensible and then try to put it into autopilot.

Makes perfect sense. You are the one that has to do the work of managing all of this, so might as well use the system most familiar to you.

I'm trying to freeze my Dad's credit files. Maybe I should ask the question here before I spend hours on hold with the credit-reporting agencies.

For those who are just joining this thread, my father's in mid-stage Alzheimer's and coming up on his first year in a care facility. He's happy there and he'll never live independently ever again. I'm now his conservator and my brother is his guardian. We have the probate court's appointing order and the legal letters. We're all getting along together and everything is going fine.

Most of the last year has been spent figuring out what Dad has and how to handle it. That stage is finished and now I'm cleaning up the lower-priority items on the "To Do" list. At first I hesitated to cancel his credit cards, but now it's clear that he'll no longer need them. Both of the cards in his wallet have expired but he says he "doesn't need to use them anymore" and he "doesn't worry about it". (I've learned that this is Dad's code talk for "I can't remember how to do that.") I used Chase's website to change his mailing address & phone number to my place and I have the new cards in my desk, but I haven't activated them. It's possible that he has credit cards from other companies or with other stores (he doesn't remember) but we haven't found any. When he and my brother go out for lunch or shopping, bro pays the bills and Dad reminds him to get reimbursed from me.

We've already shut down Dad's apartment and "downsized" his possessions, and he expects to live the rest of his life in the care facility. He runs a personal tab there for $12 haircuts & $2 snacks, I keep the account loaded up with $100, and I get monthly statements. My brother gives Dad cash when he asks for it (and I keep bro loaded up with funds). I'm handling all Dad's other finances online. (Thank goodness for website billpay.) For the two times when I needed a credit card, I used mine and reimbursed myself. (The probate court agrees with doing this.) Dad's long-term care insurance is paying out for another 29 months and after that he has enough pension & savings to stay "private pay" for several more years.

In other words, I can't imagine a situation where he'll need access to credit. I'm not even sure whether a ward is entitled to credit, but I've learned not to flaunt my conservator powers unless specifically [-]busted[/-] challenged. I plan to just keep his new (unactivated) credit cards in my files until Chase gives up on him and cancels his accounts.

So it's probably time to freeze Dad's credit files against identity theft. When I start this online (with Equifax, Experian, or Transunion) I have all of Dad's personal info up to the point where they ask for payment. I'm pretty sure that freezing a person's credit file online requires using their personal credit card. (Otherwise millions of Americans would be using Bill Gates' SSN to freeze his credit files for a prank...) I don't particularly want to use Dad's credit cards for this because I'd have to activate them first, and since his new Chase cards now have a new address/phone number I'd probably end up talking to a human being. I'd rather let Dad's cards die, and I don't want to try to run one of my own credit cards through the credit reporting agency's website for fear of triggering some fraud alert.

Is there any other way to freeze a credit file? Or am I just going to have to start sending request letters to the credit-reporting agencies with copies of my conservator's appointment and a hand-written paper check?

Nords, when I put a credit (either watch, alert, hold, etc. - whatever the 1 year long thing is that requires your explicit signed consent to open up any new credit accounts) on myself a few years ago, I don't recall ever having to speak to anyone - I thought all I did was enter my SSN and a few details. Maybe it has changed since, or maybe I was doing a lower-level thing compared to what you want to do for your father.

As far as finding out all of his open accounts, I presume you've already received his annual free credit report from the 3 agencies? That would be the first (and should also be the only) step in identifying any open credit cards that might be floating around out there.

As far as finding out all of his open accounts, I presume you've already received his annual free credit report from the 3 agencies? That would be the first (and should also be the only) step in identifying any open credit cards that might be floating around out there.
Oh, good point. I'll do that next.

We've [-]confirmed[/-] searched for but found no other financial accounts, no Treasury accounts, and no safe deposit box.

<snip>

We've [-]confirmed[/-] searched for but found no other financial accounts, no Treasury accounts, and no safe deposit box.
Regarding the safe deposit box....just because a charge doesn't show up on a bank statement, it could be he had a particular type of account that included the perk of a 'free' safe deposit box. Therefore no fees and no notices in the mail.

You might want to double-check...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom