Get a pool?

I put a pool in after I bought my house in 2019

I have had pools all my life and I would never have anything but a salt water pool so much less maintenance. I use my pool everyday here in South Louisiana I don't know how peeps live without one down here, oh yea they stay in their houses with their AC on full blast and if I don't swim in it it also works good as a big bathtub LOL. Especially right after hurricane IDA came thru my backyard and no power or water.

Yep, any pool nowadays needs a 4' (minimum) high fence with self-closing & self-latching gate.

There are retrofits fences (mesh, removable) available for older homes where the pool can be accessed directly from the house, so even if a toddler gets onto the pool apron outside the back door they can't actually access the pool itself, e.g.:

https://poolfence.com/pool-fence-info/
There are other effective safety options out there. Accidental drowning is no joke, of course, but there's more than one answer. Legally, I believe CA requires two of seven safety options, of which a fence is one.

Another data point - I commented that I thought a friends water feature (basically a waterfall) looked cool - he replied that his wife didn't like it because it was too noisy.

We added fountains to our pool and I could live without those. I do love the salt generator and the auto cover and we have to have a heater here in Iowa. We do our own maintenance and it does not take much time at all.

There are other effective safety options out there. Accidental drowning is no joke, of course, but there's more than one answer. Legally, I believe CA requires two of seven safety options, of which a fence is one.

Drowning is a surprisingly (depressingly?) common cause of accidental death for young children of upper middle-class parents.

There's no real substitute for the type of fence I described to deny access to the pool, even if you do need to drill those holes into the concrete apron.

As others note floating alarms will be turned off or ignored because of the multiple false alarms they generate.

Drowning is a surprisingly (depressingly?) common cause of accidental death for young children of upper middle-class parents.

There's no real substitute for the type of fence I described to deny access to the pool, even if you do need to drill those holes into the concrete apron.

As others note floating alarms will be turned off or ignored because of the multiple false alarms they generate.
Actually, the safety covers are pretty good. Most can support 450+ lbs walking on them. Even if I had a fence - which we might anyway - I'll have an automated safety cover as well. Fences can be climbed (and here they have to be at least 5 feet high with gate operators no lower than 54" off the ground.

I agree about the efficacy of the alarms, but they are one of the seven legal options. I was responding to the comment that you must have a fence. You don't have to; there are other legal and effective options.

No personal experience with pools but office mate bought a house with an in ground pool. They found they didn't use it and were paranoid that the neighborhood kids would sneak in and drown while they were at w*rk. They filled it in.

Our grandkids love swimming in our pool. We have them over at least once a week.

Don't do it, buy a membership somewhere that has a pool. Much cheaper, more kids to play with and real lifeguards.

You already got experience with a pool so you know what you’re getting yourself into ha ha. We have a small pool with a jacuzzi, several years ago I want to remove the pool in lieu of remodel and replace it with a three cars garage for my cars. But my daughters asked me to keep the pool. Now the grandkids come over all the time “ I want to go to grandpa’s house!” So that’s priceless. I know there will be a day where my grandkids will stop using the pool, but in the meantime I got to use it more myself while swimming with them. So the memories will be something I will treasure… it’s only money spend their inheritance.

Seems like you already have experience with this. If your kids didn't use it much, what are the chances your g-kids will much?

How about something else out back that might get more use, with less maintenance? A fire pit maybe? A play structure? A multi use court surface? Outdoor kitchen? Hot tub? A fountain or waterfall which might be relaxing to sit around? Garden maze, or just some really nice landscaping including lighting?

I don’t have a pool but always wanted a water feature. I could see a splash pool as it’s good exercise and nice way to cool off in Texas heat.

Forgot to mention how great would a swim up bar be with some shade and a TV & sound system…. I can picture my retirement there already :)

We had a pool in our last home 20+ years ago, and the kids hardly used it. Our current home still continues to be the gathering place for all family events and "everyone" (including my wife) seems to think it would be a great addition to our family gatherings if we put another pool in.

Do any of you have experience with the "grandparents pool" and view it as a positive (the maintenance and care etc) and do the kids & grandkids really use it a lot?

No discussion needed on the expenses, that's not an issue for us, please focus responses on if it's really used a lot or if the luster wears off ...

Thanks!

@Broland, my two grandsons close by come almost every other day during the summer to swim while my other two grandkids from OC come every two weeks to see their cousins. I would say they been swimming since baby now oldest at 7 … so I would say five more years before they lose interest. One added advantage with the jacuzzi is during a cooler day, you may just heat up the jacuzzi where they would just play as if it’s a baby pool. The heater these day are very efficient only take 10 minutes to heat up. Our So Cal weather give further justification. Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 44
Loving our pool

As grandparents of 6 grandkids and parents of three we are totally so glad we have our saltwater pool.
Great place for friends and family to meet. Swim or not, it is a perfect summer/evening venue.
Set it up with a fire pit, comfortable chairs /tables and it is so worth it.:dance:

I have a built in in ground pool so I invite kids in the neighborhood. I am very popular in my neighborhood. When the kids come over to swim their parents come over too so I socialize with them. This year is kinda dead because of the pandemic but I am hoping the pandemic will be over so I can invite the neighborhood kids. My own kids and grandkids live too far away. I use it myself during very hot days and I set up a stereo system and outdoor TV to watch while I am floating in the water having a martini. I have a small bar but most of my neighbors do not drink except for beer so I have a small refrigerator for that. I will be building a pool house to expand my entertainment options.

Thanks

I just had a pool put in after waiting/waffling for years. Edit: I would not do it if it's for the kids, or the gkids, but do it if it's what you want.

HOWEVER:

I hate my pool company. They were the "best" in the business, perfect B-Business, A rated, 50 years in the area, etc. But now is the worst possible time. Everyone, last summer, decided... oh man lockdowns? I need a pool! Few pool companies are saying no, so they are slipping and slacking and taking more than a year from contract. I went to contract in July 2020 and passed final inspection literally a year to the day later. My back yard was a construction zone for 6+ months. The build was the most frustrating non-work thing in memory. They were on site on average one day every two weeks. Emails and phone calls would take days to get a response.

And then there was the gaslighting. The little mistakes that took weeks to resolve. To where you almost didn't want to point out little mistakes because that meant another month before your pool was done. I can only hope I don't have an issue that needs their warranty support in the first year because I know it will be a month before they show up. And of course problems arose on fridays so I'd spend the whole weekend going ....."arrggghhh now this".

phew...yeah, i hate the pool company. And I did my homework, got a lot of quotes, this was a highly reviewed, reputable place who only wanted 5% down to start.

This mirrors exactly what I went through with a contractor doing part of a remodel for me in central FL. Almost to a tee. It was so frustrating that I am delaying even getting a quote for a pool, which we both want. We may wait a year before even getting in the queue. Thanks for the reality check on pools.

Grew up with a 16x32 foot pool 10’feet at its deepest. Used it a lot Playing as a kid, lap swimming later.
HATED HATED HATED doing the maintenance. Witnessed my father deal with endless issues that arose— and swore off ever owning a pool.
I swim 3 days a week at public pool.
Let them clean and maintain it.
I suggest you find another way to be appealing to the grandkids.

Update on our pool :)

We still love it, but a couple of maintenance issues - both related to it being 3 yrs old and never really properly set up.

1. Heater was always slow to start. Put manometer on it and found was not seen up correctly when installed - running way lean. Due to the BTU output (400K), it required a separate line just after the meter and prior to the house gas regulator (water heater) to get 2 psi gas to the pool heater. Other option was tear up the 75' 3/4" pipe - a non starter. So, once 2 psi was there it needed a different regulator and hook up by gas licensed plumber. $600. This SHOULD have been done when the heater was installed.

2. Pretty high end house and nice pool - but the original owner chose to walk out on the pool deck, through the screened in "cage" door, across the back yard, around the end to about half way up that side of the house - to change ANY setting on the pool. Options to fix run from wired to wireless to IP enabled. Wired was about $200 for the keypad and wire and a couple of hours to install and hide the wiring. Other options would have run from $1000 to $3000 if I replaced the entire panel to play with the internet.

They are expensive ...

Yeah, I think I got very lucky when my pool was built. When they were doing the mechanicals, something wasn’t right. They had to go get a new pump and module. I didn’t understand it at the time, but the setup they dropped off before the install (that they had problems with) was manual. I’d have to go out to the pump to control it. The one they came back with and installed was a internet controlled unit that I control with an app. Very nice. There is still the manual control box by the pump but I only have to mess with that when something goes wrong like losing my internet connection, which hadn’t happened often.

I see what you’re saying about moving the controller. Had I not gotten the unit I have, I would have certainly moved the control unit to a better location. Not too expensive and much more practical.

Bought a house with a pool. I maintain it myself. It is not that much work with the maintenance costing around 40 monthly.
Of course there can be large lumpy expenses like with a house.

Yeah, I think I got very lucky when my pool was built. When they were doing the mechanicals, something wasn’t right. They had to go get a new pump and module. I didn’t understand it at the time, but the setup they dropped off before the install (that they had problems with) was manual. I’d have to go out to the pump to control it. The one they came back with and installed was a internet controlled unit that I control with an app. Very nice. There is still the manual control box by the pump but I only have to mess with that when something goes wrong like losing my internet connection, which hadn’t happened often.

I see what you’re saying about moving the controller. Had I not gotten the unit I have, I would have certainly moved the control unit to a better location. Not too expensive and much more practical.

Jerry,

I didn't move the control panel, but rather installed a small controller keypad that plugs in with four wires to the main panel - a wired remote. Very reliable, but ya need to hide to the wire for it to be really nice looking :)

my control panel is tucked away from the pool near the pump, so yes it would be a PITA to have to go there for everything. Ours is hooked up to our wifi with an app, so I can change the lighting, the waterfall, etc., and turn the pump on and off easily from my phone anytime.

Yes, I highly recommend this feature for any new installs. As much as I hate most phone apps, it make things very convenient.

I currently have a 20,000 gal in ground pool and in ground sauna. In a previous house, I had a 12,000 gal above ground pool with a deck to simulate an in ground pool and a separate hot tub. The smaller above ground pool with separate hot tub was much easier to maintain and just as enjoyable. My next house will definitely not have any pool at all but a backyard where I can install a 12,000 gal above ground pool with separate hot tub and build a custom deck around the above ground pool.

Right - PITA for sure, especially given need to tailor pump, heater, light ops for various events!

The upper for full IP enabled approach requires staring close to a fully IP enable panel. The next is fully remote with RF link to the current panel - requiring the remote pad and an antenna added to the panel, assuming your panel supports this. Next and least expensive is a wired pad - or more than one (mine basic Hayward approach accepts three remote keypads).

The wired pads are simple, cheap, (less than $200 including wire) and pretty bullet proof with no connectivity issues - either by the RF of IP portions.

Hiding the wiring is usually the most difficult aspect of installation.

Slightly off topic but was wondering what pool owners and those contemplating a pool would consider an acceptable pool "season" thus making installation worthwhile. I recall the municipal pool in my home town always opened on Memorial day and closed after Labor day. To me, the water was WAY too cold to enter until at least mid June. It was already cold again by Labor Day.

By my calculations, that's 3 months and that's okay for a municipal pool. Without a covering (maybe a moveable green house or full indoor pool) it would seem a lot of work for 1/4 of the year's use. I understand, lots of folks here live in the SW or South and can use a pool for a much longer period each year. Just curious about YOUR season or your minimum season. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom