Getting "Carded" Again

Montecfo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We were at a really fun microbrew and gourmet pizza place in Dickson, Tenn (charming little town!) on recent travels and DW and I were asked to produce ID when ordering a beer.

Now, as much as I'd like to think we look youthful, I assume it is just policy to do so as there are a few colleges there or nearby.

But what about being asked to produce ID to prove you are 60 or 62 for senior pricing? That's happened a few times. Even though she is a bit older I always assume it's for her since I think she looks much younger. But also happens to me at gym I drop into which has day rates for um "seniors". Wow, I kind of hate to say that.

As young people we dreaded getting "carded" but now it seems kind of nice.

I guess if you are really cheap you could use a fake ID to get those senior rates starting at 50 or so.

Tennessee is extremely strict about carding everyone, no matter what. It's state law that is enforced. Any sale of alcohol must be carded, and I've never seen an exception. Common sense was thrown out the window there.

I guess if you are really cheap you could use a fake ID to get those senior rates starting at 50 or so.

You could, but not only would that be cheap, it would also be dishonest. However, once I turn 62/65, I am looking forward to being carded, if that's what needs to happen to get my senior discounts!

Tennessee is extremely strict about carding everyone, no matter what. It's state law that is enforced. Any sale of alcohol must be carded, and I've never seen an exception. Common sense was thrown out the window there.

I'm not sure what the law regarding carding for alcohol sales is here in CA. However, most establishments card you if they think you look under 30 - just to give a margin of safety, I suppose. My best friend is 50, and still gets carded quite often. She looks young for her age, and gets a kick every time she is asked for her ID. However, in the last year or two, grey hairs have started to appear in abundance. She doesn't get asked for her ID quite as often. I think she misses that!

Last edited:

Same thing at the football stadium. You want beer? You show ID. No exceptions. Seems silly, but it takes any subjectivity away from the server. That’s probably not a bad thing..

At UConn football games they card everyone. Also, you can only buy one beer. So if your spouse wants one too, you both need to go to the concession stand. Inconvenient, but it avoids trouble with underage and excessive drinking.

Exactly. I’ve been carded in Florida many times. I’m all in favor of “we card everyone” even when it seems silly.

I turned up too early at a Costco recently and got carded as I'm not old enough for early-senior entry.

I've found myself carded buying wine many times lately when wearing a mask, as I guess it's much harder to tell from only the eyeballs up.

When I was in my early 50's I asked at a movie theater about the senior age. The teenaged cashier said in a bored voice, "Lady, if you're willing to call yourself a senior, you can have the senior rate."

I turned up too early at a Costco recently and got carded as I'm not old enough for early-senior entry.

Yes this happens to me too. Not asked to produce ID but just a guy stopping me (at a different store) and saying "I'm sorry sir you can't enter as it's our senior hours". I didn't tell my age but just said "I'm over 60"....and kept going. Some lady calls after me saying "It's a compliment!"

As young people we dreaded getting "carded" but now it seems kind of nice.

I used to go to a class where one of my fellow classmates was a single mom of about 40. She was one of those petite ladies who is a ball of energy. She dressed on the young side and could get away with it without looking foolish. IOW, she was a hottie.

One day she came in glowing, her feet about an inch above the ground. She had been to a bar with some friends, and while everybody else at the table ordered their adult beverages with no problem, she got carded. I can't help but think that server got a big tip. :D

Our local grocery store cards everyone for alcohol purchases and the cashier types something into the cash register - I think birth date.

While it seems silly to card me, with my wrinkles and gray hair, I get the point that carding everyone removes the cashier defense for serving/selling alcohol to underage folks.

Myself, I have a hard time telling the difference in age of 17 -> 26, and have told some too young folks at family gatherings to help themselves to wine I brought as I notice they are looking but not taking.
Then they tell me they are too young :facepalm:

I recently was carded at the adult toy store, what's with that.

In most case's, any place that card's obviously older people have simply already been busted and are currently on probation before losing their liquor license.

When I was in my early 50's I asked at a movie theater about the senior age. The teenaged cashier said in a bored voice, "Lady, if you're willing to call yourself a senior, you can have the senior rate."

Did ya get the senior discount??

I'm lucky, I guess, because I got carded regularly into my 30s and once when I was 40.

Now in my 60s, not so much. :LOL: But, a couple of months ago, I was checking out at a liquor store and laughingly asked the youngster at the register if she needed to see my ID. She said 'No'. But then manager walks over and says 'You look like you could be underage. Let's see some ID.' I told her she was a beautiful person. ;)

Our local grocery store cards everyone for alcohol purchases and the cashier types something into the cash register - I think birth date.

Yep, that's fairly typical around here too. Most of the bigger stores take one look at me and just type in all zeros or something, but Walmart and some of the smaller places want a real date to type in.

I'm 73, and it's been a while since the last time I got carded.

But you know what? I get the "senior discount" at Supercuts ($1.00 off) every time I get my hair cut, and they never ask.

My avatar is actually me, about six or seven years ago. Amazingly they seem to just know I'm over 21, somehow. :ROFLMAO:

There is one grocery that asks me my birthday.

I answer but add, "can't you tell by the hair"

We have several here that need to actually scan your drivers license to allow your alcohol purchase. LMAO... our Daughter used the Wifes and got away with it....

I can't stand the word "senior" used for "old." It's patronizing, as if there were something nasty and cover-up-able about aging, and we all have to pretend old people are still in high school.

Any time anyone uses the "s" word with me, I say, "No, I want the old people discount."

Old people are old, get over it.

Frankly, I could have used a discount when I was 23 and hadn't an extra dime to spare! Why isn't there a young people discount?

Frankly, I could have used a discount when I was 23 and hadn't an extra dime to spare! Why isn't there a young people discount?

Yes, we have had much longer to scrape some money together.

The first time it happened to me was when I was paying for admission somewhere, and the kid behind the counter asked if I was a senior. I was taken aback because I was only 58 and still imagined I looked younger. Reality sucks. But then I didn't think the ticket person looked old enough to work there. :LOL:

Myself, I have a hard time telling the difference in age of 17 -> 26, and have told some too young folks at family gatherings to help themselves to wine I brought as I notice they are looking but not taking.
Then they tell me they are too young :facepalm:

Once you're over 50, everyone under 30 looks 17.

If you're under 30, everyone over 50 looks 70.

That was my position for years.

"Why give seniors a discount, they have had 40 years to save their money. Give the discount to the young that are trying to save their nest egg."

Back
Top Bottom