Good book or website on TIPS?

Sorry, I was looking at another site that was well over two years old, went outside for a few minutes to find out what all the jack hammering was about, came back and replied to the wrong thread.:facepalm:

I bought the dead tree version of the Sit book recommended in post #8: "Explore TIPS: A Practical Guide to Investing in Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities Paperback" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449975909)

My initial take was that it was basic to the point of being too basic, but it did earn a permanent place on my bookshelves by providing some information I hadn't known. So I do recommend it.

People seem to think that TIPS are unusual beasts. The book debunks that, pointing out the TIPS are government bonds with all the characteristics of govvies except for the way they pay their holders. IMO many threads here would be shorter if more people realized this.

The author on my copy is listed only as "The Finance Buff." See https://thefinancebuff.com/ to find Sit.

TIPS are not that much more complicated to understand than I bonds, but a lot of misinformation gets posted about them, especially on this forum. Like I have been told quite recently in this forum that the inflation adjustment exists only in my mind, TIPS held to maturity have market risk, all TIPS have lost money this year and no TIPS have returned 10%, none of which is true.

If you understand I bonds, you will know that TIPS have a similar inflation adjustment and that TIPS and I bonds with 2% real yields, combined with 8%+ inflation adjustments have returned over 10% this year.

Last edited:
Yeah. I wouldn't even detour to I Bonds. TIPS are not that much more complicated than straight treasuries. Sit does a pretty good job explaining, including some comparison tables.

At what inflation level does your statement " ... I wouldn't rely on them in the slightest for protection against high inflation." become true? To me your statement makes no sense at all.

True enough, but there has really been no time in modern investment history where deflation was an issue. https://www.investopedia.com/ask/an...re-any-periods-major-deflation-us-history.asp YMMV but it is just not something that I worry about.

Indeed! IMHO OldShooter has probably forgotten more about TIPS investing than most of us will ever know about the topic; I've certainly learned a lot from him about TIPS specifically and bond investing in general over the years and am most grateful.

Speaking of high-level info on TIPS, the Allan Roth article in Advisor Perspectives which I re-posted on Bogleheads has attracted not only Mr. Roth but William Bernstein to the discussion, making the thread as a whole just about the best "TIPS primer" I can think of in getting a sense of the unique and probably soon-to-disappear opportunity in TIPS right now.

What Roth and Bernstein recommend is using a TIPS ladder (or, less perfectly but still effectively, a duration-matched set of TIPS funds and ETFS) in conjunction with actual or estimated SS benefits and any pensions or annuities, to cover all of one's essential expenses. And what's unusual about the current situation is that it's possible to lock in ~4.3% real returns for 30 years, which is better than many experts expect to see from balanced (60:40, 50:50) stock:bond portfolios going forward. Roth for example has a 45:55 target allocation and seems to be converting most if not all of his fixed income position into TIPS.

I disagree completely with those claiming that regular Treasuries are superior to TIPS. There's a great (albeit epic length) discussion of this topic on Bogleheads as well but the OP's comments are probably sufficient:

"We've seen a lot of discussion pertaining to the performance of TBM and TIPS over the last year, which is understandable since TBM has experienced its biggest nominal drawdown in its history and inflation is at the highest levels seen in over 40 years. Many investors have chosen to retain their nominal bond holdings, especially TBM, while many others have chosen to (hopefully, permanently) move part or all their fixed income to TIPS.

An aspect of the nominal bond vs. TIPS issue that is often overlooked is the asymmetric risk investors are exposed to with nominal bonds like TBM. Note that this assumes both that an investor's future spending and other liabilities will be in at least roughly real (i.e., inflation-adjusted) dollars and that the CPI used to derive TIPS' yields is a reasonably good measure of inflation. In general, these seem to be fairly reasonable assumptions, and I ask that we do not derail this discussion on questioning them as this is apt to get the thread locked.

My contention that there is asymmetric risk in the decision to allocate one's fixed income in nominal bonds, such as TBM, or inflation-linked bonds, such as TIPS.

With individual TIPS held to maturity, their real return known with precision at the time of purchase. There is no risk to the future buying power of TIPS given the stated assumptions in the first paragraph.

But with nominal Treasuries, their real return unknown with precision at the time of purchase. Only their nominal starting yield is known. They are completely exposed to the risk of unexpected inflation, which has historically been the single biggest risk to fixed income holdings.

Therefore, absent deflation, it is indisputable that nominal Treasuries are riskier than TIPS when it comes to funding future consumption in real dollars. But there's another way to consider this that further demonstrates the same point.

If we assume that inflation is highly unlikely to average below 0% over a given decade, we can assume then that the best possible real returns of 10 year nominal Treasuries is their starting nominal yield of 2.65%. But there is no limit to how low the real returns of 10 year nominal Treasuries can be. In other words, 10 year Treasuries have very long left-tail risk. With TIPS held to maturity, their real return is, again, known with precision at the time of purchase.

Some claim that nominal bonds like 10 year Treasuries, funds like TBM, etc. have a higher expected real return than do TIPS. This is debatable since TIPS have a slight return premium over Treasuries due to their slightly lower liquidity. But in any event, any such higher expected return of nominal Treasuries over TIPS appears to be widely agreed upon to be very small and possibly zero.

Therefore, due to the uncertainty surrounding future inflation, there is uncertainty regarding the future real returns of nominal Treasuries (and nominal bonds, such as TBM), whereas there is no uncertainty regarding the real returns of TIPS as these are known at the time of purchase. Given that the expected benefit of nominal Treasuries compared to TIPS is no more than tiny, I contend that the risks faced by nominal Treasuries (and other nominal bonds) compared to those of TIPS are asymmetric and tilted significantly in favor of TIPS. Nominal Treasuries and other bonds are exposed to significant risks that are absent from TIPS, and those risks are not accompanied by a corresponding expectation of higher returns.

While it's true that nominal Treasuries are preferred in the presence of deflation, TIPS have some, though not as much, protection in that regard also since, upon maturity, the bearer will be paid the greater of their adjusted principal or their original principal. However, given that inflation has been a far bigger historic risk to investors than has deflation, I do not believe the better performance of nominal Treasuries to justify the uncertainty regarding their future inflation-adjusted value."

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382830

Indeed! IMHO OldShooter has probably forgotten more about TIPS investing than most of us will ever know about the topic ...
Thanks for the flowers, but I am just SGOTI who has some familiarity because we've held ours since around 2007. At best the tallest midget here. For more reliable information I do suggest the Sit book discussed above or possibly the Bogleheads thread (which I have not read).

I found this website which is helping me understand TIPS better.

https://moneyfortherestofus.com/tips-and-ibonds/#purchasing-individual-tips

As I read through this explanation of TIPS, the impression I am getting is that I should buy a TIP either directly from the Treasury on the auction day. Or, if I buy a previously owned TIP bond I should not pay over par for it. And I should plan on holding it to maturity if I want to get all my principle back. Correct?

The article mentions a break-even inflation rate. I don't see that on Schwab's information about a TIP. Where can if find that? Or do I need to figure it myself based upon the current rate for a regular treasury with the same maturity date?

Last edited:
I found this website which is helping me understand TIPS better.

https://moneyfortherestofus.com/tips-and-ibonds/#purchasing-individual-tips

As I read through this explanation of TIPS, the impression I am getting is that I should buy a TIP either directly from the Treasury on the auction day. Or, if I buy a previously owned TIP bond I should not pay over par for it. And I should plan on holding it to maturity if I want to get all my principle back. Correct?

The article mentions a break-even inflation rate. I don't see that on Schwab's information about a TIP. Where can if find that? Or do I need to figure it myself based upon the current rate for a regular treasury with the same maturity date?

I usually just buy TIPS at most auctions, depending on the yields. None when the yields are negative, and more when they are over 1% real yields.

There is a schedule on Treasury Direct when the TIPS auctions generally occur, or you can sign up for Fidelity's fixed income alerts and they will tell you about a week out when the next TIPS auction is. You can put your orders in then. Fidelity doesn't charge a fee and their site is much easier to maneuver than TD.

You can get the basics of TIPS here for free by Annete Thau, author of The Bond Book: https://www.aaii.com/journal/article/an-investor-s-guide-to-inflation-protected-securities. That should answer most of your other questions. I would read the Annette Thau article or book, or some other credible source before going to Bogleheads as some of what gets posted there is correct and some is wildly incorrect, even by their resident "experts", especially their TIPS funds posts. Trust in Annette, the TIPS funds performance stats back up exactly what she says. TIPS funds are not TIPS and have the same no maturity date issues as other bond funds, so the funds are not guaranteed to keep up with inflation. But don't take my word for it, simply check their performance stats graphs over the years.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. Great information as usual.

I'll dip my toe into the warm TIPS water this Thursday.

I just skimmed the article in the link you posted and saw this - "TIPS can be bought directly at U.S. Treasury auctions or in the secondary market using a brokerage account. The secondary market has TIPS that were previously issued and have had their principal values adjusted based on the index ratio."

Most individual investors likely buy TIPS through their brokerages like most of us buy our nominal Treasuries, at auction and on the secondary market, through the brokerages. That is pretty basic knowledge for people who actually buy TIPS. Most if not all the big brokerages let you place TIPS auction bids through them. If you go to the Fidelity fixed income screen, there are fields to click for TIPS secondary and auction offerings. The TIPS auction offerings are only filled in about a week or so prior to an upcoming auction.

Last edited:

Dip that toe in a tax deferred account if possible to avoid having to pay tax annually on the principal adjustment & interest. Since you can't have TD as a tax deferred account, you'll have to buy TIPS at your brokerage. I did it once at VG and it was very easy.

Good luck.

Dip that toe in a tax deferred account if possible to avoid having to pay tax annually on the principal adjustment & interest. Since you can't have TD as a tax deferred account, you'll have to buy TIPS at your brokerage. I did it once at VG and it was very easy.

Good luck.

Thanks. An excellent point.

Don’t commit too much. After hearing the hype prior I invested too much in tips and found out this year how disappointing they can be.

Don’t commit too much. After hearing the hype prior I invested too much in tips and found out this year how disappointing they can be.

I will start slow and keep some powder dry. I am very aware that my crystal ball is cracked, I can't read minds, and, worst of all, my time machine is broken. So, I plan diversifying just in case.

FWIW, I am not planning on going out farther than 5 years unless something like the double digit interest rate 10 year treasury I bought in the early 80's comes up again. I should be so lucky. I plan to keep the 5 year TIP at the far end of my CD/bond ladder. I will keep it until it matures, allowing me to collect the base plus inflation. I think that's safe.

I figure TIP bonds are a a life raft in the event long term interest rates take off and stay in orbit. So are Ibonds and social security. YMMV.

Which TIPS issue did you buy and why were you disappointed?

The coupon rate stays the same before and after you buy them, so I am also curious how they disappointed you. What changed after you bought them, other than inflation has decreased?

I am wondering about TIPs and thinking of buying the 10 year one. I've been trying to understand the TIPs mechanism.

When I look at the boglehead site it seems to have wrong information as I understood it from the treasury site. This is regarding the effect of successive inflation numbers

The page: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Treasury_Inflation_Protected_Security

Their example does not change the value of the TIP (even though they mention it) and if it had the 3rd example would still be above $10 interest.

Their example with my notes in Bold

$1,000 * 1.035 * 2% / 2 = $10.35 (so now the $1,000 is higher maybe $1035)

If the index ratio goes to 1.050 on the next interest payment date six months later, the same bond will pay interest of

$1,000 * 1.050 * 2% / 2 = $10.50 (should be $1035 * 1.050 * 2% / 2 = $10.8675 and the $1,000 is now $1,121)

If the index ratio goes to 0.985 on the next interest payment date another six months later, the same bond will pay interest of

$1,000 * 0.985 * 2% / 2 = $9.85 (should be 1121 * 0.985 * .02 / 2 = $11.04 and the $1,000 is down to $1,104)

What their example done their way suggests that TIPs are great if you get some inflation each year, but they don't compound the effect.
Meaning 3% inflation raises the original value, and more inflation raises it more, but a single slightly negative inflation like .985% wipes out all the previous inflation amounts.

Is my understanding totally wrong ?

I am wondering about TIPs and thinking of buying the 10 year one. I've been trying to understand the TIPs mechanism.

When I look at the boglehead site it seems to have wrong information as I understood it from the treasury site. This is regarding the effect of successive inflation numbers

The page: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Treasury_Inflation_Protected_Security

Their example does not change the value of the TIP (even though they mention it) and if it had the 3rd example would still be above $10 interest.

Their example with my notes in Bold

$1,000 * 1.035 * 2% / 2 = $10.35 (so now the $1,000 is higher maybe $1035)

If the index ratio goes to 1.050 on the next interest payment date six months later, the same bond will pay interest of

$1,000 * 1.050 * 2% / 2 = $10.50 (should be $1035 * 1.050 * 2% / 2 = $10.8675 and the $1,000 is now $1,121)

If the index ratio goes to 0.985 on the next interest payment date another six months later, the same bond will pay interest of

$1,000 * 0.985 * 2% / 2 = $9.85 (should be 1121 * 0.985 * .02 / 2 = $11.04 and the $1,000 is down to $1,104)

What their example done their way suggests that TIPs are great if you get some inflation each year, but they don't compound the effect.
Meaning 3% inflation raises the original value, and more inflation raises it more, but a single slightly negative inflation like .985% wipes out all the previous inflation amounts.

Is my understanding totally wrong ?

TIPS principal gets adjusted daily with an inflation factor which you can look up on Treasury Direct. It operates on a 2 month lag of CPI inflation, and can go negative if there is deflation. Then the coupon payments work similar to regular bonds. If you hold to maturity, you get back at minimum the par value of the bond, even if there has been extended deflation, or more likely the bond with accumulated inflation. I have looked up the inflation factor for TIPS I own by CUSIP, compared it to putting the original par value of the bonds into online inflation calculators and the results came out pretty much the same. If you buy a $1K bond at par and 5 years later there has been 20% cumulative CPI inflation (https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm), your principal will be adjusted to be $1.2K. When your next interest payment is due, you will receive the coupon rate of the bond X $1.2K. If there has been 20% cumulative inflation since a $1K bond with a 5 year term was issued, at maturity the investor will receive $1.2K. If there was 0% cumulative inflation, she would receive $1K. If there was 10% deflation, she would receive $1K.

Basics of how TIPS work - https://treasurydirect.gov/marketable-securities/tips/

How TD updates the bond principal value with the inflation factor - https://treasurydirect.gov/auctions/announcements-data-results/tips-cpi-data/

I don't know what is on the BH site about TIPS currently, but in the past have not found that site to be the most accurate resource. The posters there tend to conflate TIPS with TIPS ETFs and they are two different investment products with very different attributes and performance stats. Treasury Direct really has everything you need to know about TIPS. You can look up anything you need to know there and get it straight from the horses' mouth. People post really crazy stuff about TIPS here and on the BH site. I would take everything you read on forums about TIPS with a grain of salt. I have been told the inflation factor exists only on my mind on this forum, and along with other wildly inaccurate posts about TIPS that can easily be disproved with a simple check on Treasury Direct (or most investment reference sites).

I found it helpful to read The Bond Book, also this excerpt online about TIPS by TBB author - https://www.aaii.com/journal/article/an-investor-s-guide-to-inflation-protected-securities (free 30 day sign up required to read).

Last edited:
TIPS principal gets adjusted daily with an inflation factor which you can look up on Treasury Direct. It operates on a 2 month lag of CPI inflation, and can go negative if there is deflation. Then the coupon payments work similar to regular bonds. If you hold to maturity, you get back at minimum the par value of the bond, even if there has been extended deflation, or more likely the bond with accumulated inflation. I have looked up the inflation factor for TIPS I own by CUSIP, compared it to putting the original par value of the bonds into online inflation calculators and the results came out pretty much the same. If you buy a $1K bond at par and 5 years later there has been 20% cumulative CPI inflation (https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm), your principal will be adjusted to be $1.2K. When your next interest payment is due, you will receive the coupon rate of the bond X $1.2K. If there has been 20% cumulative inflation since a $1K bond with a 5 year term was issued, at maturity the investor will receive $1.2K. If there was 0% cumulative inflation, she would receive $1K. If there was 10% deflation, she would receive $1K.

Basics of how TIPS work - https://treasurydirect.gov/marketable-securities/tips/

How TD updates the bond principal value with the inflation factor - https://treasurydirect.gov/auctions/announcements-data-results/tips-cpi-data/

I don't know what is on the BH site about TIPS currently, but in the past have not found that site to be the most accurate resource. The posters there tend to conflate TIPS with TIPS ETFs and they are two different investment products with very different attributes and performance stats. Treasury Direct really has everything you need to know about TIPS. You can look up anything you need to know there and get it straight from the horses' mouth. People post really crazy stuff about TIPS here and on the BH site. I would take everything you read on forums about TIPS with a grain of salt. I have been told the inflation factor exists only on my mind on this forum, and along with other wildly inaccurate posts about TIPS that can easily be disproved with a simple check on Treasury Direct (or most investment reference sites).

I found it helpful to read The Bond Book, also this excerpt online about TIPS by TBB author - https://www.aaii.com/journal/article/an-investor-s-guide-to-inflation-protected-securities (free 30 day sign up required to read).

Thanks....

I have more reading to do, but I did try a TD example with 5 yr TIP and it worked out to close to a 20% increase in principal value, this is one maturing April this year.
Of course there are more months to go with lowered inflation so that will change.
But I can see the idea works. :flowers:

Thanks....

I have more reading to do, but I did try a TD example with 5 yr TIP and it worked out to close to a 20% increase in principal value, this is one maturing April this year.
Of course there are more months to go with lowered inflation so that will change.
But I can see the idea works. :flowers:

Right, they do work as advertised as long as you hold to maturity. Individual TIPS interest payments and maturity values are based on the inflation factor adjusted price, which tracks CPI inflation (with a slight lag). TIPS ETFs share prices are based on market price, which factors in the inflation adjusted price but also other factors like market (interest rate) risk. This means the TIPS funds can go down in share price even when inflation is high because an increase in real yields on 5 - 30 year bonds packs a pretty big downward punch, even though the value of the underlying individual TIPS principal is going up, at least until they sell the bonds. When the funds or investors sell TIPS prior to maturity, then they may have losses or gains depending on current market prices. TIPS sold prior to maturity may sell for less than the accumulated inflation price to date. Individual TIPS held to maturity always get redeemed at par or with the accumulated CPI adjustments, whichever is greater.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom