Good Regional Food

REWahoo! said:
Audrey, some would consider your comments as merely baiting us... :p
Eh, I'm sure they look forward to Texas' fried scorpion & fricaseed rattlesnake seasons, too...

REWahoo! said:
Audrey, some would consider your comments as merely baiting us... :p
Do you mean some of you don't like boiled crawfish?!?!?! LOL! Well, I'm afraid it's one of my very favorites.

Can't speak to fried scorpions, but I have had fricassed rattlesnake - more specifically rattlesnake and cactus (nopal) stew, at the YO Ranch hotel in Kerrville, TX. It was quite good!

Oh - I ate fried grasshoppers in Oaxaca, Mexico. It's a regional specialty so they encourage everyone to try it. It was.....forgettable. The rest of the cuisine in Oaxaca is divine - the best of the best as far as Mexican traditional cuisines go.

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Can't speak to fried scorpions...

I prefer mine mashed rather than fried.

audreyh1 said:
...I have had fricassed rattlesnake - more specifically rattlesnake and cactus (nopal) stew, at the YO Ranch hotel in Kerrville, TX.

What you failed to mention is that rattlesnake stew (and armadillo on the half shell) is about all there is to eat here in Texas. Anyone contemplating moving here needs to take that into consideration.
img_504916_0_743d8b90b4312836093e75d57e1bfabf.gif

Nords said:
Just in case there's one or two of you readers who don't know what head cheese is, I looked it up and I'm heartily sorry that I did so. Ignorance is bliss.

You head-cheese eaters should be permanently banned from donating blood. I thought the lutefisk & haggis threads were bad enough. Bleagh!

somehow i cant see head and cheese ever used even in the same sentance. sounds like a disease . the final stages of beer nuts maybe?

Back
Top Bottom