Goofy Retirement Plans

Sarah, in my younger days, the correct response to "Jeet jet?" was "No, squeet."

Translation to satisfy the moderating sticklers:
"Did you eat yet?"
"No, let's go eat."

It's more biological than social or psychological. Organisms are evolved to preserve their genetic lines.
You obviously don't know select members of my family....:LOL:

As far as the nature / nurture discussion, I think it's our choices that truly defines us.

The worst "plan" I've heard of is the one I hear way too often: "I'm never going to be able to retire." Unfortunately, retirement will likely be forced upon these folks. Employees get downsized, people lose their health, or just can't get a job that pays enough in their senior years. Then what?

I'm always agast when I hear someone say this and so never reply, just remain silent. It horrifies me.

Or the one that one of my BIL used to say "I will be dead by then"... IOW, his father died young... his mother made it to her early 60s... he did not think that he would have a long life so why not spend it now...

Good thing that my sister convinced him otherwise... he is 62 and she is 55 and both lost thier job last year... so they retired and are doing just fine... now the discussion is should he start SS or wait till 70... the big problem is that my sister gets a big state pension and would not get the full benefit so I do not know the answer to that question...

Surewhitey said:
Momma and thems...very slang southern talk. I can't say anymore as English is the official language here...

Southern - I'm learning a lot from Brenda Lee in 'The Closer'. "Put dat pen ta papa - be quick or be go-on!". (Last night's episode that I had to rewind 3 times to understand.)

My BIL and sister have no retirement plan which is the craziest. They are 58 & 60 and collect SS disability for now.

he is 62 and she is 55 and both lost their job last year... so they retired and are doing just fine... now the discussion is should he start SS or wait till 70... the big problem is that my sister gets a big state pension and would not get the full benefit so I do not know the answer to that question...

For someone who doesn't have spousal benefit or spousal survivorship issues it doesn't matter when to take SS so much. SS is designed to be actuarially equivalent no matter when you take it. If BIL feels he is going to die young then take it at 62 and get what you can. Conversely. if he feels that he will live forever then it just may pay more to wait.

- Good luck figuring out that one though.

Last edited:
Southern - I'm learning a lot from Brenda Lee in 'The Closer'. "Put dat pen ta papa - be quick or be go-on!". (Last night's episode that I had to rewind 3 times to understand.)

It is Brenda Leigh - and I love that show too!

I love that Cosby clip.
And y'all have put me to shame with your Southernisms, for sure.
I love the motea and sqeet! Have you ever had to explain why you mash a button or are fixing to go somewhere? I didn't know that those were odd until I was in my 20s.

I'll leave you with one my Nana used to say: "Frank, you tell that hen that if she doesn't start laying some eggs, I'm gonna cook her up in a pot with some rice!"

Back
Top Bottom