Google/Nest and other Smart/Wifi Thermostats

njhowie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you're considering upgrading to a smart/wifi thermostat, before searching for prices on Amazon, Walmart, etc. first check with your electric company.

I happen to be searching through google for the best prices on the Nest thermostat, and my electric company popped up - offering it with instant energy rebate credit of $100 per unit. They only allowed purchasing 2 at most with the credit (we have 3 zone heating and wouldn't give me the rebate on the third when attempting to order 3), so total cost was $29.99 each with free shipping.

While on my electric company's site, I also saw they had good power strips for $16 each...with instant energy rebate credit of $15 each, bringing them down to $1 each (again, for 2 at most). For $1 each, sure, I'll take a couple of those also.

If you do purchase through some online retailer, you can likely still apply for the energy rebates, but if the electric company is going to do it for you and gives you the credit up front, certainly that's the way to go. When I was price surfing, energy rebate was not even on my mind, nor would I have thought of it after purchase (if I would have purchased).

I will say that I've been extremely hesitant to get on-board with this smart home stuff. Yes, I'm somewhat paranoid that there is some small chance that someone hacks into google and/or gains control of my smart home devices. However, it seems it's the direction the world is moving. We needed a replacement for our Sony Dash alarm clock - Sony did an end-of-life on it maybe 3 years ago, turned their servers off, and the time has always been lagging since. Last week, the replacement we picked up was Lenovo's smart clock - which has google assistant embedded. Our new TCL TV which we also picked up last week (to replace our aging JVC that no longer responds to any remote) also has google assistant embedded. Google sent us a free Nest mini last week from a promotion we had on a purchase a couple months ago. So, very quickly google has made it's way into our home. We'll see how things go and if it's all worth it.

Last edited:
love my nest, as an example would set back to like 80 if on a trip, when starting the flying back would start it back to cooling..... just bought the nest camera too, going away for winter...

I love my Nest thermostat. Congrats on the great deal. I use the remote access (via web or phone app) while away from home on trips to check in on things. I also set up prescheduled times for temperature changes (morning and night), which other non-internet thermostats could already do. I like how it will automatically detect when I've left the house for a while and turn down the heat or AC until my return.

My cable internet company now uses the Plume Homepass software app to manage my home internet. One of the features Plume provides is it allows you to connect desired devices to a separate home network. They have an "Internet only" network that you could use for devices such as Nests, TVs, Doorbells, etc. These devices won't be able to "see" your computers with personal info on them or your printers or your phones, etc.

I haven't actually set this extra layer of protection up yet, but I think I'll make that a winter day project some time soon.

Does the Nest (or other wifi thermostat) work with iPhones and an Apple ecosystem?

My router has 2 wifi bands, as 2.4 and a 5hz, so I use the 5hz for our computers and the 2.4 hz as the guest network for the internet devices. So far only some camera's.

OP is right, out the utility company, they offer for customers some fantastic deals, which vary. I've bought dozens of special LED bulbs for 1/4 the price of store costs. And those intelligent power strips, and a Free internet thermostat (not installed yet).

Check your Water/Gas company as well, as they may offer free weather insulating and water saving devices, like mine has done.

..... just bought the nest camera too, going away for winter...

We purchased a set of these for mom's apartment so we can check up on her. They've been rock solid for two months now. We fully expected them and/or the modem to need to be powered off/on to refresh, but that has not been the case at all. They're also very efficient in the bandwidth they utilize, even at higher resolutions.

We've been very happy with them and it's eased our concerns tremendously with mom, since we (me and sis, in different cities) have the ability to instantly see if/when she's at home and that she is moving about, using our phones or home desktop computers.

Does the Nest (or other wifi thermostat) work with iPhones and an Apple ecosystem?

Yes, the Nest app is in the Apple App Store and works great on both iPhone and iPad.

The Nest is NOT supported by Apple's own Home app which runs the Apple Homepod speakers and other Homekit-compatible devices.

The Nest is NOT supported by Apple's own Home app which runs the Apple Homepod speakers and other Homekit-compatible devices.

Google Home, Assistant and Nest have public APIs available, so if/when Apple decides it is important enough to provide the ability to integrate with their own Home app, they should be able to do that. Similarly, Apple also provides the API to their Home app, so there will likely be developers who decide to make that happen while there is a void that Apple/Google are not fulfilling.

+1
Our utility imposes some sort of surcharge on all customers that is used to discount the purchase of energy efficient HVAC, water heaters, thermostats, led bulbs, etc. So....you are paying for the discounts whether you use them or not! I just bought a dumb t-stat from our utility company and have benefitted in the past with replacement furnace, t-stat, desk lamp and LED bulbs.

My router has 2 wifi bands, as 2.4 and a 5hz, so I use the 5hz for our computers and the 2.4 hz as the guest network for the internet devices. So far only some camera's.

OP is right, out the utility company, they offer for customers some fantastic deals, which vary. I've bought dozens of special LED bulbs for 1/4 the price of store costs. And those intelligent power strips, and a Free internet thermostat (not installed yet).

Check your Water/Gas company as well, as they may offer free weather insulating and water saving devices, like mine has done.
Southern California Edison and Southwest Gas both have programs in place for free energy upgrades to low income households tied to FPL or are on state or government benefits. I'm sure most states have them and we pay for these programs with the extra fees we get charged on our monthly bills. If you qualify, both give an instant 20% discount (CARE) off your monthly bill, just apply online and it's instant. That's all I was really interested in but then they start bugging you to join the other programs they offer. Just before the Covid lockdown in February their contractors installed a brand new gas heater and water heater at no cost to me. I estimate it would have cost me close to 10K if I had been paying for it. They weatherized the house, with gaskets in all outlets, replaced the door from the garage to the house with a new one since it was leaky. New locks on both exterior doors and they are sealed tight. They checked all the gas appliances in the house for leaks. Depending on the age of your appliances they will replace them if you want but you don't get to pick and choose models and colors obviously. They also installed Carbon monoxide/smoke alarms with 10 year batteries in every room in the house, I think 9 in my case. i don't use that much gas in the summer months, the next 4 months is where I expect to see some big savings.
The Edison program which I did not apply forgives you a new air conditioner, swamp cooler, and other electrical appliances if needed

https://www.swgas.com/en/california-energy-savings-assistance-program

https://www.sce.com/residential/assistance/energy-saving-program

Google Home, Assistant and Nest have public APIs available, so if/when Apple decides it is important enough to provide the ability to integrate with their own Home app, they should be able to do that. Similarly, Apple also provides the API to their Home app, so there will likely be developers who decide to make that happen while there is a void that Apple/Google are not fulfilling.

The Connected Home over IP project was formed last year to unify the various home automation ecosystems.

Here's an article that explains some of the issues.

Have a Sensi wifi thermostat and like it, can control it with their app on a cellphone, check HVAC usage history, works with Alexa, paid less than $100. It has a geofencing feature but haven't activated it yet.

Last edited:
Austin Energy didn’t offer a discount on purchase but my signing up for “rush hour program” they gave me a credit on my bill. The program allows them to modify AC usage on the summer when demand is super high. They message beforehand and you can override their choice. Extra cash in the pocket!

Just to say, I have installed both Nest and Ecobee over the years. I had very little success with Nest on any sort of complex design like a dual fuel HP, but Ecobee is so easy to set up. And yes, for me, I like Alexa to turn up the heat for me when I ask and I know Ecobee works. It even has a model with Alexa built in. I installed that at my DD house. Typically, Utilities offer the same deal on rebate for Ecobee.

Typically, Utilities offer the same deal on rebate for Ecobee.

Yes, they offered the same $100 credit for ecobee as well as some smart/wifi units from traditional companies like Honeywell and Emerson.

Austin Energy didn’t offer a discount on purchase but my signing up for “rush hour program” they gave me a credit on my bill. The program allows them to modify AC usage on the summer when demand is super high. They message beforehand and you can override their choice. Extra cash in the pocket!

We did this way back when this was a new concept - about 25 years ago. It sounds like they've made it better over time. Our electric company gave us a credit during the summer months for being in the program - I don't remember how much it was. Things were great for a year or two. Then, came the one day when it was sweltering and they cycled us off! Next morning I was on the phone telling them to send a technician out to remove the device immediately. They claimed they didn't cycle us off. Yeah sure.

Have a Sensi wifi thermostat and like it, can control it with their app on a cellphone, check HVAC usage history, works with Alexa, paid less than $100. It has a geofencing feature but haven't activated it yet.

I have the Sensi as well and love it. It's nice to remotely adjust the temperature with my phone when we're on the way home, or to bump it up in the morning when I wake up. The alert function gives peace of mind if you're away and the temperature drops too low.

I also set a password protected limits on the temperature because when we're out GF's daughter sometimes turns it down to sub-Antarctic in summer or cranks it up to Sahara Desert in winter :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom