Got a call from my FA, good news or bad?

About the only reasons that a salesrep moves from one firm to another are:
(a) They are not making enough money for their firm (quotas!)
-or-
(b) They are not making enough money for themselves.

They only make money either way by taking it out of the YOUR pocket.

As a side note, I don't suppose WellsFargo or any of their employees told you about their totally free WellsTrade brokerage account to go along with their totally free checking account? That is, if you have ever ever paid a fee for anything at WellsFargo in the last say 25 years, then you got ripped off.

And because of all the free services that WellsFargo gives away, WellsFargo has to charge higher fees to stay in business to the chumps that don't know any better.

BTW, other firms such as Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard also have plenty of similar free services. Be sure if you use any of these that you know that you are not paying what the other folks pay to keep these places in business. Know better.

Last edited:
broker moving

one reason they often move is pure $$$...they are given a pretty good enticement to switch firms. They'll tell you it's because the new firm has better support or more options for investing but it is often a pure bonus for them. I had a broker who switched twice within 3 years ----- I moved once but not the 2nd time and am now DIY.

My FA from a large firm approached me with that same idea about 5 years ago. It became apparent to me through talking with him that he really wasn’t supposed to be talking me into going with him. That made me wonder. If he would violate his agreement with his present firm to drag me with him, how ethical could he really be? Soon my “nice guy” advisor was replaced by another “nice guy” who was assigned to take over his clients. Luckily for me, the company made a serious error on a rollover that ended up costing me a lot of money. So it was easy to fire him and the company. I moved everything to Fidelity and have been happily saving all the money I used to pay in advisor fees. This forum gave me the courage to do that and I believe I have been better off for it. Fidelity offers me advice if I want it, but I just don’t want it anymore.

I think the firm your FA works for would probably consider you theirs instead of his. If that is the case, I would be very unlikely to follow the advisor to any new firm. Also be aware that the present firm will send someone to take care of you very soon if they haven’t already. Also be aware that firms like Fidelity, E-trade, etc. will offer you financial incentives for moving the money to them.

Another vote for "dump his ass fast" and do it yourself with VG or Fidelity. Read up and learn. It might seem scary at first, but it's simple. Best move I ever made.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I’ve been through this with my “nice guy” financial planner. Believe me, wish I’d never met him. My guy didn’t leave voluntarily. He was involved with legal troubles concerning this business. Also, he was involved with TD Ameritrade, so I’m thinking they got your contact info from the fp?? Go with your gut, and lose the guy syphoning off your growth. Vanguard or Fidelity, IMO.

This might not have anything to do with your situation but here goes. My husband had his 401k with Prudential through his union. After he retired, it was a huge ordeal to withdrawal any money. Withdrawals had to be approved by a Board of Directors (!) and other nonsense and it could take a couple of weeks to get your own money. After doing that once, we moved his entire account to Vanguard and never looked back. Now we go to Vanguard, enter how many shares we want to sell and we have the money in three or four days. This may not apply to your situation.

We are with Vanguard Professional Advisor Services. Investors of $500K or more there get a dedicated advisor, and ours is excellent. The fees are less than Wells Fargo and Fidelity and probably anywhere else with comparable personal service. I used to do it myself but now I’m a believer. My wife and I really benefit from the neutral third party advice for discussing and funding our different lifestyle desires fairly, not to mention that she’s uninterested in finances but we have great assurance that she’d be advised and taken care of without a hitch if I got Coronavirus. What’s to lose from scheduling an evaluation call with them?

We've been with Vanguard for at least five years with much more than this and it's news to me that we get an advisor. Hmmm. Maybe you have to request the services?

We've been with Vanguard for at least five years with much more than this and it's news to me that we get an advisor. Hmmm. Maybe you have to request the services?

I'm signed up for email communications, and I know they [-]push[/-] mention it in the emails they send out, the Personal Advisor Services and Flagship Services. They have called me a few times over the decade, usually when I get assigned a new advisor. Give them a call and talk to them about what they offer. You don't have to use anything you don't want, and despite my mildly snarky tone above they really don't put any pressure on you. I usually call in and just talk to whoever I get, and don't worry about my assigned advisor. But others use them, and if you qualify for Flagship services you should have access to them to. So definitely call them.

I can't help but suspect that OP is not following this thread.

:facepalm:You are suspecting wrong. I'm not on here daily but I am following and reading. Now with that being said. I have gotten an email from a Prudential advisor, and a TD advisor. Yesterday I got a snail mail from Vanguard personal advice service with a link to look at online or a number to call. As well my WF personal FA has been calling and texting every other day. But I have ghosted him. I have been reading on Bogleheads and other topics here. I also received a letter from Wells telling me my new adviser's name and that he would be contacting me soon also. I am not one to jump from the pan to the fire so I am researching. I thank y'all for the responses so far!:)

OP
Do you mind sharing the firm your advisor moved to from WF ? It may be a clue as to why he’s making a change. It sounds like you are moving on and that’s good.

Back in the days when investors used brokers almost exclusively I had one call to thank me and say he was moving on from the smallish regional firm to a smallish national firm. It was kinda like moving to the big leagues from the minors. He said he could not solicit my business but of course he actually was.

You pay .30 for the Portfolio Advisory Service.

I would not trust a FA who lures client to the new fund house by using the “one of lucky few” line.

Better look for someone else.

My FA called thursday and informed me that he had left W Fargo for a great new group and wanted us to be one of his "Lucky" folks to join him on his exciting new journey. We have been with him/them since July on a referral from a friend. He is a nice guy and we haven't lost any money but am torn about this. My DW moved her 401 from her employer as well as all but 2 of her Ira's over. I moved all but 1 of my Ira's but was waiting for some problems from my former employer to be cleared up before moving my 401 over. My 401 is with Prudential and has made a better % than hers has so i have left it there. Since I've been reading here I am really wondering if we might be better off to take it all both hers and mine and go to Fido or Vanguard. I don't feel confident in totally self directing us so I would have to have help where ever we go. I have been contacted by Prudential as well as TD Ameritrade about moving my 401 to them. I'm at a loss and need some encouragement from some of you smarter than me folks.

I faced exactly the same situation in 2015. It prompted me to move my portfolio from USAA Wealth Management to Vanguard. I liquidated the managed stock portfolio USAA had created, and was churning. The proceeds were reinvested in Vanguard stock index funds. I kept the managed individual bond portfolio and the bonds have been converted over time to Vanguard bond funds as they mature.

It is noteworthy that the managed accounts at USAA underperformed their indexes, and USAA's balanced fund, during the 6 years we were in the USAA wealth management program. My "wealth manager" at USAA was a very nice guy but objectively he didn't meet the benchmarks the company itself set. I would be over $200,000 wealthier had I simply invested my money in USAA's balanced fund instead of going with its wealth management program. An expensive lesson learned.

When moving to Vanguard I chose to use the Vanguard Personal Advisors program even though I felt comfortable with managing and rebalancing a simple mutual fund portfolio myself. My spouse does not want to deal with investments. We determined having a specified "advisor" to sustain the plan would give her comfort in the event I die first. We did not feel a need for an active manager of our portfolio. Having been burned by active investment, we are comfortable with index investing.

Overall I've been very pleased with the outcome. The fees are much lower than at USAA. The customer service has overall been good when I've needed it. I have taken advantage of their Flagship/Personal Advisor tax and estate planning advice which I used to validate the advice I was receiving from my tax advisor and estate attorney. My equity portfolio in VG index funds mirrors the market return. The bond funds have also performed better than USAA's individual bond portfolio even thought interest rates have declined and I have a higher mix of tax free bonds.

The first VG advisor we were assigned was very experienced and excellent. He made the transition of the portfolio from USAA effortless. He also spent significant time collaborating on the construction of the new portfolio in a tax efficient manner over two years. In addition, the VG plan considered our other investments outside VG. Unfortunately was promoted after two years. The second VG advisor is less experienced and less proactive. He responds to calls and requests, but rarely calls on his own initiative. His only consideration of our investments outside VG is "move them to VG and let me manage them". From my perspective it makes no sense to move, and liquidate with a significant tax hit, a portfolio of dividend stocks I accumulated over a period of 30 years and which generates substantial cash flow from dividends.

My biggest issues with VG are:
1) With rare exceptions the personal advisors are essentially customer service reps executing against a formula, not real advisors. They have limited flexibility. They are assigned about 100 customers so I'm sure it is easy to default to responding to questions and inquiries. The truth is, once the plan is developed and the investments are made, the portfolio is pretty much on autopilot.
2) The online tools for analyzing and modeling performance and alternatives are rudimentary. I often have to ask the advisor to run analyses for me as I annually reevaluate my portfolio mix.
3) Vanguard really pushes what I consider to be a high (30%) distribution of assets to international. They don't consider that most of the US S&P 500 companies have significant income from international operations, so if you accept the 30% international allocation to stocks your stock allocation is really about 50% international. This speaks to a lack of sophistication in VG's modeling. I continue to remind my advisor returns from international have lagged US returns over time and John Bogle, founder of VG, was not a proponent of international. My advisor simply spouts the current VG corporate line about the need for maximum diversification in a portfolio. When I asked for data proving that diversification maximized returns I received an academic paper from a couple of professors speaking to economic theory, not real world results.

I still have investments (securities and non-qualified deferred income) outside of VG which need to be converted to index funds. This migration will require an additional 4-5 years in order to minimize the tax hit. My first advisor was on top of this issue and worked closely with me on how much to move each year and which assets to move, liquidate, and convert to income investing. I expected the same out of the new advisor. He made no recommendation the first year (again, not proactive). The second year I pushed hard and commented in the evaluation form sent by VG. He then brought in one of VG's tax advisors who performed what I thought was a very thorough and excellent analysis of my situation as well as several alternative approaches to moving the assets in a tax efficient manner.

To conclude, if it were not for my spouse's fear of managing the money in my absence, I'd stay with VG (due to the low cost and quality of funds) and drop personal advisor services. Once all of my investments are moved, and converted to index funds, the only real role of the advisor will be keeping up with rebalancing and attending to any customer service needs my spouse may have during her life. I certainly feel having the portfolio at a large institution has less risk than in the hands of an independent financial advisor who could run off with the money, leaving my spouse penniless in old age.

^ This. You will almost certainly be better off going with either one of these vs. staying with that "nice guy" and helping him make his boat payments.

I agree.

Investing your money with a bank is usually incredibly expensive. My personal favorite is still Vanguard, but others will do.

Get an easy to understand book like Rob Berger's new "Retire Before Mom & Dad" and read it through a couple of times. It will be the best time and money you have every spent.

Dave

Yep. Check out Vanguard Professional Advisor Services.

I

To conclude, if it were not for my spouse's fear of managing the money in my absence, I'd stay with VG (due to the low cost and quality of funds) and drop personal advisor services. Once all of my investments are moved, and converted to index funds, the only real role of the advisor will be keeping up with rebalancing and attending to any customer service needs my spouse may have during her life. I certainly feel having the portfolio at a large institution has less risk than in the hands of an independent financial advisor who could run off with the money, leaving my spouse penniless in old age.

Sounds like you’ve found all but one of the Vanguard staff very much to your liking. Maybe request a different advisor if you don’t respect the new one? We use Vanguard PAS for exactly the same low cost and spousal protection reasons you are and are very satisfied. One additional reason I’m glad to pay the fee is, “mistake prevention insurance”. Research shows that once you control costs and set an asset allocation, the best thing to do is leave it the hell alone for 20 years, because fiddling on one’s own in pursuit of this or that “optimization”, as nearly every DIY investor does at least a little bit, usually detracts from performance. Doing nothing is, ironically, probably worth paying for.

But we’re not getting nothing. Our advisor has tools for just about every question. Our detailed financial plan incorporates their SS calculator, health care projection tool and tax minimization strategies. Their strategy uses Monte Carlo projections but their Dynamic Spending Model incorporates all of our unique assets and ignores the limiting, one size fits all, static 4% Rule that DIYers mostly rely on. Our VG plan incorporates our unique situation, such as that have no heirs, home equity and we will take maximum SS. With all that inputted, we get to retire much earlier and spend more than any 4% Rule would allow for.

But we’re not getting nothing. Our advisor has tools for just about every question. Our detailed financial plan incorporates their SS calculator, health care projection tool and tax minimization strategies. Their strategy uses Monte Carlo projections but their Dynamic Spending Model incorporates all of our unique assets and ignores the limiting, one size fits all, static 4% Rule that DIYers mostly rely on. Our VG plan incorporates our unique situation, such as that have no heirs, home equity and we will take maximum SS. With all that inputted, we get to retire much earlier and spend more than any 4% Rule would allow for.

I have been with Vanguard for over 10 years but have not known them to be what might be called "creative" in the advisor area. That is not a bad thing, but it is usually nothing more than one of their Target Date Funds in disguise (which is not bad and of course could be described as "Dynamic").

I certainly hope they do not have you in their Managed Payout Fund VPGDX because this is rated as a SELL by the Independent Advisor, which is a newsletter I trust for Vanguard Investors.

If not compare your allocation to any number of TDFs based on your age and retirement status. If around 60 it likely is close to:

36-30% Total Stock Market
28-29% Total Bond Market
25-21% Total International Stock
11-12% International Bond
0-8% TIPS

If so your spouse could easily manage an account of a single TDF fund or a TDF fund and 10-15% of small cap value index.

As far as the 4% Rule. In the last 10 years of this bull market almost any strategy would look good. Even if you had most of your retirement funds in their "Dynamic Payout Fund-VPGDX" or the 11 funds that make it up, there is no beating the 4% Rule 100% of the time, unless you are ok with the possibility of running out of money. In fact in 2019 if you had 100% of your money in VPDGX and you spent 100% of the distributions your portfolio value underperformed its own managed payout index by 2.5% according to Vanguard and you seriously underperformed by about 7% something as simple as the Vanguard Wellington Fund.

All this is not to say your Vanguard Advisor isn't doing something for you, but you have to understand if it isn't something you could not be doing for yourself if you understand exactly what it is that is being done behind all the technical jargon like Monte Carlo projections and Dynamic Spending models.

Dave

OP
Do you mind sharing the firm your advisor moved to from WF ? It may be a clue as to why he’s making a change. It sounds like you are moving on and that’s good.

Back in the days when investors used brokers almost exclusively I had one call to thank me and say he was moving on from the smallish regional firm to a smallish national firm. It was kinda like moving to the big leagues from the minors. He said he could not solicit my business but of course he actually was.

The firm is wwwqmaadvisors.com/darren-heil-bio
This was the link he sent me. I didn't comment back for a few posts because I read the bio of that new company,and have been busy researching. I'm trying to figure out the difference between VG and Fido. It looks to me like either one or both use a robo advisor with a human backup approach.
As I said in my 1st post I was asking for some thoughts/advice on my situation. I know from other forums I am on that it is harder to get a "feeling" across online so I take thing as they are.

Originally Posted by Venturer
You are suspecting wrong.
mystang52 said
No slight was intended. ----And none was taken that's why I did the slap my head emoji because someone thought I wasn't following my post.Again I'm thankful for the help.

My FP is from Toledo Ohio. The last time I spoke to him, he claimed the company‘Private Wealth’ was sending him to an office in Pgh. I dropped him when I got a call from an attorney from the securities exchange commission of Toledo asking numerous questions about said FP’s spending. Found out there were multiple suits against this guy. Other problems started showing up too numerous to go into here. Never again.

The HR person has to approve my withdrawal (signature on the Fidelity form) and I'm limited to 3 withdrawals a year in my 403b (not really a problem). I've considered rolling over to an IRA, but other than taking a week or two to receive the money, it isn't that big a deal since I only make one withdrawal/year.
The money is protected from lawsuit in the 403b; Nevada caps protection for IRAs at 500k, so that's the main reason I haven't rolled over.

This might not have anything to do with your situation but here goes. My husband had his 401k with Prudential through his union. After he retired, it was a huge ordeal to withdrawal any money. Withdrawals had to be approved by a Board of Directors (!) and other nonsense and it could take a couple of weeks to get your own money. After doing that once, we moved his entire account to Vanguard and never looked back. Now we go to Vanguard, enter how many shares we want to sell and we have the money in three or four days. This may not apply to your situation.

You pay .30 for the Portfolio Advisory Service.
If the Vanguard fee is .30, I'm really afraid of what Wells Fargo might charge. If it is as low as 1%, that's $10,000 on a $1 million portfolio.
Over $10 years that is $100,000, not including any growth and the lost growth on those fees. And, if you are retired 30 yrs... you might pay out $4, $5 or $600,000 if the market had good growth.

Do you know how much they were taking from the account per yr?

Back
Top Bottom