Got our first Trusted Housesitters assignment!

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’m so excited! We’ve been wanting to try this for literally years, but when we had our dog, it didn’t make sense to leave him and pay a pet sitter to keep him while we looked after other pets/homes. Now that our little dog is gone, we have more flexibility. I’ve been “lurking” on the TrustedHousesitters site for a long time, and just yesterday saw a local sit. It’s only a few miles from our home, and the client seems very nice and relaxed.

We applied yesterday, spoke to him today, and we mutually agreed to book it! Our first sit will be for 8 nights. We’ll see how it goes and if we really enjoy it, this could be an excellent way to extend our travel budget while also getting to love some pets without being permanently committed to one.

good on you. I know all too well the pull of missing pets, and your strategy seems sound.

We had a TH sit for our dogs. The couple was local trying to get reviews under their belt. They did great w/our dogs. I follow them on Instagram & they are pet sitting all over. Spain, England, NYC & more

You should watch the new Netflix show “Man Vs. Bee” with Rowan Atchinson before you do your first Homesitting gig! [emoji23] Good luck .

We had a TH sit for our dogs. The couple was local trying to get reviews under their belt. They did great w/our dogs. I follow them on Instagram & they are pet sitting all over. Spain, England, NYC & more

I have never heard of this - very cool and will be on our radar when we can eventually travel.

Congratulations! We LOVE being sitters with Trusted Housesitters. We started back in 2014 and have done tons of sits - it's AWESOME!

There are some caveats - you have to do your due diligence in choosing good sits - watch out for old pets who may have health issues - that's really stressful!

You are smart to sit locally the first time. It's a really good way to build your sitting resume.

ENJOY!!!!! It's a wonderful way to experience an area like a local.

Great to hear you're TH experience is going well, Scuba.

I enrolled in a similar program HouseCarers several years ago and have been traveling off and on (minus 2 years pandemic) ever since. I especially like applying for international sits, most always involves pet(s). Zero cost to pet owners. I cover all my own expenses, air travel, occasional AirBnB stays along the way to match up dates I'm needed. Has worked out swimmingly.

Amazing how this concept was stumbled upon via a thread on this very site, ER.org. Fast forward 6 years and now have visited Portugal, Ireland, Switzerland, S of France, Sweden (some families multiple times) and currently taking care of an adorable French Bulldog named Frank in the UK for a 3-week visit while the family is on holiday in the US. Yes, we switched countries! ;)

I never imagined doing this before retiring, but oh how fun to travel around, live like the locals and have a cuddly 4-legged friend to make every day special in the process. No pets of my own, 10+ years retired at 55.

Last edited:
Really cool! We have yet to do any international sits. Do you rent cars the whole time or have you purchased one or somehow manage all your travels with public transportation?

So far I've never rented a car, most always have done well with air, rail & bus transit for longer hops (thanks Rome2Rio app). At actual sitting locations, typically I'm in walking distance to grocery stores, shops, restaurants, etc. On occasion, the pet owners have left me their car for use as needed, sometimes to take their dog to the ocean for a walk or sightsee.

But by far, my normal routine has been walking and inexpensive local transit. I found that European countries are in most cases great for that. Lots of learnings along the way, anxiety over international travel planning greatly reduced over time, established some great international friends, zero regrets. :dance:

So far I've never rented a car, most always have done well with air, rail & bus transit for longer hops (thanks Rome2Rio app). At actual sitting locations, typically I'm in walking distance to grocery stores, shops, restaurants, etc. On occasion, the pet owners have left me their car for use as needed, sometimes to take their dog to the ocean for a walk or sightsee.

But by far, my normal routine has been walking and inexpensive local transit. I found that European countries are in most cases great for that. Lots of learnings along the way, anxiety over international travel planning greatly reduced over time, established some great international friends, zero regrets. :dance:

Wonderful! International sitting is definitely on our "next adventure" list - hopefully sometime in the next few years. Definitely will have a steep learning curve for the travel planning, but it will be worth it!

Congratulations! We LOVE being sitters with Trusted Housesitters. We started back in 2014 and have done tons of sits - it's AWESOME!

There are some caveats - you have to do your due diligence in choosing good sits - watch out for old pets who may have health issues - that's really stressful!

You are smart to sit locally the first time. It's a really good way to build your sitting resume.

ENJOY!!!!! It's a wonderful way to experience an area like a local.

Wow! Good to know. Yes, right now we are avoiding sits of very old pets that need a lot of meds. It would be totally stressful to have a pet get seriously ill or die on our watch! Also avoiding sits that say their cat can be let out to roam freely outdoors. I don’t want to be the pet sitter when a cat doesn’t come home. Between traffic and coyotes/other predators, anything could happen.

Great to hear you're TH experience is going well, Scuba.

I enrolled in a similar program HouseCarers several years ago and have been traveling off and on (minus 2 years pandemic) ever since. I especially like applying for international sits, most always involves pet(s). Zero cost to pet owners. I cover all my own expenses, air travel, occasional AirBnB stays along the way to match up dates I'm needed. Has worked out swimmingly.

Amazing how this concept was stumbled upon via a thread on this very site, ER.org. Fast forward 6 years and now have visited Portugal, Ireland, Switzerland, S of France, Sweden (some families multiple times) and currently taking care of an adorable French Bulldog named Frank in the UK for a 3-week visit while the family is on holiday in the US. Yes, we switched countries! ;)

I never imagined doing this before retiring, but oh how fun to travel around, live like the locals and have a cuddly 4-legged friend to make every day special in the process. No pets of my own, 10+ years retired at 55.

This is so encouraging to hear! Our long term vision is to combine our love of pets with our love of international travel and structure a long visit to a country or region with a house/pet sit or two, interspersed with traveling on our own there. Could be a great way to really get to know local cultures as well as extend the travel budget!

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly do you do? I mean, you babysit a dog but you actually live in random people’s homes too? Isn’t that awkward? I like my own bed too much I guess but perhaps I’m missing something

The site I originally registered through and have membership in has a vetting process for both sitters and home/pet owners. Background checks are part of the process. But otherwise, yes, it's all about staying in a new acquaintance's home.

Usually there is a good bit of communication in advance, most always a video chat or two. But I've had only good experiences and in several cases I have been the go-to pet sitter for the same family multiple times. It truly is a valuable exchange for both parties. And long-term friendships have resulted in my case.

Some pets require more attention than others. I've often been involved in administering meds and once gave daily breathing treatments to an asthmatic kitten. The sweet little creature actually enjoyed and looked forward to it, surprisingly. And in Portugal I lead a pack of dogs on walks in the surrounding farmlands through pear orchards. Never dreamed that I'd be the alpha of the pack and live these experiences, but oh what memories to behold.

Hopefully I'll continue to stay healthy and active for the foreseeable future to continue. But many sitting opportunities exist for less active care, it's part of your process to sort out the pet owner's needs to what suits your abilities. I'm pondering a farm animal sit in the future, but haven't pursued that yet. Lots of learnings in that I imagine. :)

Last edited:
So, the job consists of moving into their home for the time they are gone and watch their home and take care of pets?
Interesting!

So, the job consists of moving into their home for the time they are gone and watch their home and take care of pets?
Interesting!

Yes, it does!

It's a mutual free exchange between owners and sitters.

Generally the homeowners love their pets dearly and do not want to have to board them and feel like having a paid sitter come in once or twice a day for 20 minutes or so just isn't good enough for their fur babies.

It's a very unusual arrangement, but it works for the right people! Generally, you will find sitters and homeowners in these situations are wonderful people and open to new experiences.

On one of our last sits, we arrived the night before. The homeowners cooked dinner for us and we enjoyed it with some wine on their deck overlooking the Rocky Mountains in their million dollar home. It was spectacular and we immediately connected with them and their dog. I will admit, it is a bit awkward meeting someone in person for the first time like this, but also, it is also so very special and unique! Again, both parties have to have the right attitude/personality for this to work.

We send pictures/updates daily and the majority of the time make them a homecooked meal to arrive home to. Not every sitter does this, but it's our thing. We also make sure the home is spotless upon our departure.

We have used a couple of services for multiple visits, but for an upcoming stay, we are having the sitter stay at the house. One of our dogs is on meds and has potential seizures. The sitter is aware. We'll see how it goes. Have high hopes.

cd : O)

We have friends who started with TH this year and they have really enjoyed it. Sounds like TH has this pretty well figured out for everyone being happy with the results.

Congratulations Scuba on your first sit! It truly is a great lifestyle, taking care of wonderful pets and seeing the sights as a local. TH has allowed us to travel the world and see areas we wouldn’t normally see without paying a fortune. We are currently in Cabo for the next month, loving life and a beautiful well behaved dog as our company. Enjoy your sit!

Awesome! I’m really excited about the doors this will open for new experiences for us. Maybe this is just initial excitement, as we haven’t even done our first assignment yet, but how do you balance time at home vs going on sits? It seems that there are many opportunities and if one were so inclined, you could be gone almost constantly.

Enjoy Cabo!

Yes, it does!

It's a mutual free exchange between owners and sitters.

Generally the homeowners love their pets dearly and do not want to have to board them and feel like having a paid sitter come in once or twice a day for 20 minutes or so just isn't good enough for their fur babies.

It's a very unusual arrangement, but it works for the right people! Generally, you will find sitters and homeowners in these situations are wonderful people and open to new experiences.

On one of our last sits, we arrived the night before. The homeowners cooked dinner for us and we enjoyed it with some wine on their deck overlooking the Rocky Mountains in their million dollar home. It was spectacular and we immediately connected with them and their dog. I will admit, it is a bit awkward meeting someone in person for the first time like this, but also, it is also so very special and unique! Again, both parties have to have the right attitude/personality for this to work.

We send pictures/updates daily and the majority of the time make them a homecooked meal to arrive home to. Not every sitter does this, but it's our thing. We also make sure the home is spotless upon our departure.
Thanks!
Seems like a fun thing to do and have a different pace of life for a week or so.

Awesome! I’m really excited about the doors this will open for new experiences for us. Maybe this is just initial excitement, as we haven’t even done our first assignment yet, but how do you balance time at home vs going on sits? It seems that there are many opportunities and if one were so inclined, you could be gone almost constantly.

Enjoy Cabo!

Good question! I thought we'd be gone almost nonstop doing this after we retired. However, we spent about 3 weeks away last summer (between sits and visiting others) and realized this probably wasn't going to be how we would approach it. Although we had a wonderful time, we were thrilled to get home and back to our routines. It was so easy to give up exercising and eating healthy when were we traveling, lol!

We discovered we enjoyed being home more than being away for too long of a time.

However, when we do start doing international sits, I expect we will try more long-term travel, again, because it will be a much more efficient way to do so. Perhaps we will find a way to be better about exercising when we do that...we'll see! lol

P.S. We used a live-in sitter for our kitty when we first learned about housesitting, years ago. She was a woman from Canada who was retired and recently had been divorced. She decided to housesit across the United States. She had her car and basically went from sit to sit to sit, staying in hotels briefly as needed between sits. She had been doing it almost a year when we had her come to our home for about a month. She was a big bridge player, and as soon as she started a new sit, she went to the local bridge chapter to meet others and play games. She made instant friends and social connections that way. In fact, during our sit, she made a new serious boyfriend and was still with him the last time I chatted with her. Such an interesting lifestyle!

There is a retired couple I follow on YouTube that do pet sitting. It allows them to travel to many different countries with minimal housing costs. Seems very interesting.
They are also very active in social network, so usually meet people wherever they go.

Good question! I thought we'd be gone almost nonstop doing this after we retired. However, we spent about 3 weeks away last summer (between sits and visiting others) and realized this probably wasn't going to be how we would approach it. Although we had a wonderful time, we were thrilled to get home and back to our routines. It was so easy to give up exercising and eating healthy when were we traveling, lol!

We discovered we enjoyed being home more than being away for too long of a time.

However, when we do start doing international sits, I expect we will try more long-term travel, again, because it will be a much more efficient way to do so. Perhaps we will find a way to be better about exercising when we do that...we'll see! lol

P.S. We used a live-in sitter for our kitty when we first learned about housesitting, years ago. She was a woman from Canada who was retired and recently had been divorced. She decided to housesit across the United States. She had her car and basically went from sit to sit to sit, staying in hotels briefly as needed between sits. She had been doing it almost a year when we had her come to our home for about a month. She was a big bridge player, and as soon as she started a new sit, she went to the local bridge chapter to meet others and play games. She made instant friends and social connections that way. In fact, during our sit, she made a new serious boyfriend and was still with him the last time I chatted with her. Such an interesting lifestyle!

Yes, very interesting! I can’t wait to get started.

Back
Top Bottom