green power and electricity costs

Ready-4-ER-at-14

Full time employment: Posting here.
Per article on Bloomberg sunny windy days are driving down electric costs significantly in Europe on certain days. I can't believe below zero could ever happen unless that is what power companies would pay others.

I wonder if anyone here who sells back power is noticing that the payoff projections are being altered?

Maybe we will all need to have a rechargeable z cell in our closet. (Way, way bigger than a C cell)

Quick search did not see this mentioned elsewhere so if another thread please move comment there or delete. ty.

Last edited:
ty Audrey I had forgotten the policy re links to articles here, vaguely remembering that links to other websites are often not allowed on certain sites so was vague thinking easily found by a web search.

We personally have often been paid to consume electricity, as I’ve posted here before. Usually it is during winter storms overnight and we get an alert from our supplier that prices are going negative. Occasionally during the day when the wind is high and sun is strong that prices per kWh will drop below zero.

Six years ago, California was paying Arizona to take excess solar for a while. I think it went on for a couple of years.

The challenge is a lack of persistent power from wind and solar. That means you have to keep persistent sources for cloudy or still days.

Or you get brownouts etc which we are seeing a good bit of and at risk for more.

Back
Top Bottom