Guess I'll Keep Some Alkaline Batteries After All

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Caught a mean cold the past week. Still getting over it.

When I had a fever, I felt the usual frustration of not having any button type batteries for my digital fever thermometer. Plus, I don't have the old fashioned kind that requires shaking before using.

So, I figured, I'll buy a new, fancy kind that I press a button to quickly scan my temperature, that uses standard size AA batteries. Did get a couple of those. First, a Braun that I'm returning as found that inaccurate. Second, a brand named ReMEDies, which I like and will keep. But, despite using AA batteries, both models didn't work with rechargeables, but instead, I assume needs the 1.5V of alkalines :(. So, instead of replacing all my alkaline batteries with slow discharge NiMH, looks like I'll be holding some alkalines back for next time I really need to take my temperature.

I found the same thing with my indoor / outdoor thermometer remotes. Don't like the lower voltage of rechargeables.

I have a flashlight that like the Eneloop rechargeables but not other brands. The flashlight does work with alkalines.

I have found the button batteries on eBay real cheap from hongkong, and the shelf life is really good. I keep a stock for the star trek ornaments.

I have left the rechargeable scene. They don't have the capacity or voltage that alkalines have after a year or two. Alkalines are OK do throw away with the trash. Rechargables, not so much. Really tough to find a place around here to dispose of the rechargables properly.

I need to use alkaline AA batteries for our smoke detectors anyway. When I replace them after a year, the batteries still seem to have quite a bit of life left, so they go into the remote controls, flashlights, clocks, and other low-draw uses as needed. So, no rechargables.

When I buy products, I try to avoid ones that take 9V batteries (they are expensive for the capacity you get) and C batteries (they are always priced the same as Ds, but half as much capacity).

I have a nice desktop radio that I got as a gift which, it takes "C" batteries. I made six "adapters" by wrapping some thin craft foam around "AA" batteries, so now I use the cheaper-per-mA-hour AA batteries in it. That's an application that might be worth springing for the AA rechargeables, since I need to change them about every 4 months.

I have left the rechargeable scene. They don't have the capacity or voltage that alkalines have after a year or two. Alkalines are OK do throw away with the trash. Rechargables, not so much. Really tough to find a place around here to dispose of the rechargables properly.

I had planned to phase out alkalines and go with low discharge rechargeables only. But the thermometer needing alkalines puts a small wrinkle on the plans.

Back
Top Bottom