battery leaked in remote control

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Pressed my tv remote control today and it didn't work.

I thought maybe the eneloops batteries needed recharging.

Found out, I had alkaline batteries installed instead and one leaked.

Now I have to try and clean off the leak.

I'm switched over mostly to everything battery operated to NiMh low discharge batteries. But the remotes with them sometimes don't work. My guess is maybe they need the 1.5V whereas the eneloops only give 1.2v.

I may need to invest in some more (I have a few) rechargeable AA/AAA batteries. Non leaking and 1.5V. Thought my battery buying days were over, but apparently not.

Attachments

• battery leaked.JPG
    battery leaked.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 43
Vinegar and an old toothbrush will clean it up no problem. Had similar happen numerous times.

Vinegar and an old toothbrush will clean it up no problem. Had similar happen numerous times.

Yes. Just use some vinegar and Q-tips. Cleaned up fine.

Maybe I'll roll the dice again and pop in a couple of good alkaline batteries that I have around since the cleanup was so easy :).

would lithium AAA be less likely to leak?

I'd think so. Don't recall ever having a lithium battery leak on me. I do own some AA lithium (in use in other devices, not remotes) and of course some camera and laptop types.

I use Eneloop lithium batteries in anything that will accept them (AA or AAA). Never had one leak, and they hold a charge while sitting around, unlike the old nmih batteries that would go dead over time.

They do seem to be a slightly lower voltage than an alkaline battery, and may not last as long. But they're rechargeable and seem to work in everything I've tried them in.

I just wish they had C, D, and 9 Volt Eneloop sizes. Yeah, there are little sleeves that let you use an AA battery in a C slot, but that doesn't give you the long run time of a C or D.

Bulk packs (20 plus) of alkaline batteries are so cheap now I don't even think of going to rechargeables anymore. Between flashlights, lanterns, 10 remotes I use them and they have good shelf life.

Everyready (that annoying bunny) tested high of the value/performance thing. Avoid Duracell they leak the most.

Bulk packs (20 plus) of alkaline batteries are so cheap now I don't even think of going to rechargeables anymore. Between flashlights, lanterns, 10 remotes I use them and they have good shelf life.

Everyready (that annoying bunny) tested high of the value/performance thing. Avoid Duracell they leak the most.

I'm impressed with how cheap watch batteries are when you buy them in bulk from Amazon. I have a large collection of various sizes and I can handle almost anything when one needs to be replaced.

would lithium AAA be less likely to leak?

Lithiums will practically never leak. And in a remote, they'll likely last longer than the remote. They're not cheap, and alkalines will likely be the cheapest bet overall, but in intermittent/low drain devices I've seen lithiums last twenty years.

completely agree with Robbie. I buy 40- or 64-pack AAA and AA Duracell alkalines. We have many, many battery operated devices. 7-television sets each with a cable box and proprietary remote, sound bar, LED in- and under-cabinet lighting, my ham equipment and more. never have had a Duracell battery leak.

Lithiums will practically never leak. And in a remote, they'll likely last longer than the remote. They're not cheap, and alkalines will likely be the cheapest bet overall, but in intermittent/low drain devices I've seen lithiums last twenty years.

I'm more into convenience than what's cheapest.

We have lithium batteries in our low-use devices primarily to avoid the potential leak problem with alkaline batteries. For instance, the Blu Ray player in the bedroom is rarely ever used. It's remote has lithium batteries. Probably been in there for four years, and still works.

Use lithium batteries for IR remotes & never worry about leaks.

My Tivo remote in RF (not IR) mode uses more power so I have to use eneloop rechargeable batteries there.

Guess I celebrated too soon.

The remote now has a couple of buttons that don't always register when pressed.

So happens, the buttons opposite where the leakage occurred on the battery terminals.

Also, so far, I can't open up the remote to get to the insides.

I decided to order a replacement (cheap knock off type :)) from Amazon for about 1/3 the price of what an original remote sells for these days. $11 vs about $35.

Attachments

• magnavox remote.jpg
    magnavox remote.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 19
  • replacement remote.jpg
    replacement remote.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I'm impressed with how cheap watch batteries are when you buy them in bulk from Amazon. I have a large collection of various sizes and I can handle almost anything when one needs to be replaced.

Try buying them from Aliexpress in China. You'll be even more impressed! As I chart the price I am looking forward to the day they pay me to "buy" from them.

Guess I celebrated too soon.

The remote now has a couple of buttons that don't always register when pressed.

So happens, the buttons opposite where the leakage occurred on the battery terminals.

Also, so far, I can't open up the remote to get to the insides.

I decided to order a replacement (cheap knock off type :)) from Amazon for about 1/3 the price of what an original remote sells for these days. $11 vs about $35.

Good to know that you can get a replacement remote. I have a couple of very old Magnavox DVR/DVD recorders ( I have taken the batteries out)

Good to know that you can get a replacement remote. I have a couple of very old Magnavox DVR/DVD recorders ( I have taken the batteries out)

I think those Magnavox DVR/DVD recorders are collectors items. Have you checked on their current prices on Amazon? No wonder their original remotes go for about $35-40.

I got for the cheap $10 Chinese ones instead :) as I'm not collecting. Just using.

I should have stocked up on more Magnavox machines, they have done better than my investment portfolio

Last edited:
I should have stocked up on more Magnavox machines, they have done better than my investment portfolio

I know. I think those machines are for those (myself included) who like an old school approach. OTA reception and not having to stream. Plus a DVD on the side. Maybe the biggest attraction is the old style VCR like record setting.

I bought my machine for about $300 new in 2013. Now they sell for about $650 new. Go figure :popcorn:.

I know. I think those machines are for those (myself included) who like an old school approach. OTA reception and not having to stream. Plus a DVD on the side. Maybe the biggest attraction is the old style VCR like record setting.

I bought my machine for about $300 new in 2013. Now they sell for about $650 new. Go figure :popcorn:.

I'm using one of mine right now for copying old MiniDV files. It has the same front panel connection as the camcorder. I'm anticipating that my camcorder will die and I won't have access to the tapes so this is my way out.

I'm using one of mine right now for copying old MiniDV files. It has the same front panel connection as the camcorder. I'm anticipating that my camcorder will die and I won't have access to the tapes so this is my way out.

Those things sure are a good workhorse.

Back
Top Bottom