Halloween 2019

188 BAGS of candy? Are they single-serving bags?
They were bags we made -- 3 or 4 little "fun size" candies in packets that came from Costco bags.

One thing that struck me as odd was that I'm used to the little ones being out early. For the first half hour, almost everyone was over 12.

We had maybe 15 little kids and probably that many teenagers. All were polite. A typical Halloween night in our neighborhood.

When I was a kid in the 60's, we would leave at sunset and come back as late as 10:00. No parents to be seen out on the streets. There were lines formed at every house. There was something magical about Halloween back then. Things changed when my kids were little. Kind of sad.

3 kids for us tonight. We never have many, our home is off the beaten path, put in a small town.

8 kids rang the bell, 10 more just walked past the house...we are set back further from the street but ya think they woulda seen the driveway. lights out, curtains closed at 7 but 3 teens showed up around 8. 11 total. wife bought candy for an infantry squad...most of which i don't like and all of it i'm not 'sposed to have. we're not party or costume people. pretty much another thursday night.

Last edited:
We had 3 little kids come by with their parent watching.

Hardly anybody was out due to the snow and wind, and like others I saw some kids weirdly walk past our place like they were too cold and wet and just wanted to get home.

Went to DD’s house. The weather was bad, but it let up enough that there was a rush at around 6:00. DW handed out candy while the grand kids went out with their dad and DD fixed some food for dinner. The kids all raked in some good candy. I think many were like us. Given the weather, DW gave out a lot more candy per person. We imposed the candy tax and should be all set for candy for awhile. Good day with family.

As always, we had 100s of kids even with a threat of storms. The temperature was in the high 70s so I and several neighbors stood at the front of our yards chewing the fat and handing out candy. A neighbor across the street brought us cups of Cincinnati chili, which was quite a treat.

It was a little past midnight here in southeastern Pennsylvania when winter arrived and the cold front came in. There was a thunderstorm warning in effect. When I went to bed about 9:30 (yeah life of the party) and it was already breezy. This was however very different the wind was howling and it sounded like the house was in a washing machine. The Mrs had fallen asleep on her comfortable chair - that’s rare but it occurs. She came up to bed I’m sure she was startled by the storms intensity. It was the worse conditions that I can remember.

Just north of us a few houses were damaged by what is believed to be a tornado. Good thing that didnt hit at 5:30PM when the trick or treaters where out in mass

Low in the 30’s tonight welcome old man winter...

Husband is sick again and sleeping a lot. For the past couple of years we make up bags a week ahead of Halloween and drop off at the neighborhood kids. Any leftover candy goes to the girls at our local bank.

WE had about 50-60 kids, weather cold, but clear. Usually starts about 530, and I turn out the lights by 9.
Love seeing all the little ones.
Numbers here go in waves, when our kids were younger, this neighborhood was candy central and having over 100 kids was not unusual. Then they all grew up and we started having maybe 25. Now, it seems like we have had younger families move in again.

The Great Pumpkin failed to appear again

Poor weather meant we had a total of one, plus her mother. No pups, so we didn't hand out any dog biscuits.

At our previous house we got a ton of kids. I would dress my 4 Maltese in costumes. Then I borrowed my son’s 2 big dogs and dressed them too. Then I put a baby gate up so the dogs couldn’t get out. The kids loved it and the dogs never barked. We moved 7 years ago in town on a busier street and never get any so I don’t buy candy anymore and gave away all the dog costumes.

Completely rained out. Not one kid. DW took all the candy and donated it.

I was taking a nap through half of the Halloween rush hour. I heard the bell ring three times and answered only the third. There were three kids.

I like the ultra-mini Snickers because I could give more than one at a time. I don't like the sound of just one thing dropping into a bag. They're not much larger than a piece of caramel. And Snickers is one of the least unhealthy candy bars.

I looked up the old paper Halloween bags that I remember as a kid. They sell the ones I remember as vintage. The only new ones I saw on Ebay were transparent with an adhesive flap. Then I read today that someone put razor blades in his candy bags. People like that are a good reason to have transparent bags.

We had about 30 kiddos between 6:30 - 7:45 PM. Turned off the outside lights at 8:30. It was cold for DFW area, so that may have kept the turnout down.

So is Elvira retired? I didn't hear about her doing anything this year except an interview months ago.

We always go out to dinner on Halloween night. Just our tradition. We prepare personalized TorT buckets for the kids in our neighborhood. The bucket consists of a few trinkets (toy, glow sticks), big size and mini size candy treats, toothpaste. We deliver them directly prior to our dinner departure. Kids, parents and we love it this way.

When my parents were alive we always had lots of candy and kids. In the last years, my father had congestive heart failure, so sat in his chair with oxygen, but mother would ask if the children could step just inside the door so my father could see them. He loved it and would tell them how cute they were and how great their costumes were. I continued the tradition a couple years after they passed, but began to get a lot of "older" kids, like teenage boys. Which I wouldn't have minded, except I always let kids grab a handful of candy, never just put one in their bag. I had the mini Mars bars, but they would say things like, "is that all you got lady?" or just scoff disappointedly and I began to feel uncomfortable with these "kids" bigger than me in gangs of 3 or 4 being unhappy with what they got. I am a woman living alone, so just didn't feel safe doing it anymore. I used to go to friends' houses and help them, but now those friends are moved or just too old. Now I just turn out all lights and watch TV in the bedroom, unless a friend wants to go out to dinner. I work at my church's Fall Fest around Halloween every year to get my fix of passing out candy.

This year many neighbor's on NextDoor complained that they had few kids and noticed that most of their street was dark, and blamed it on that. My neighbor across the street had lights on and passing out candy, and I kept hearing a lot of doors slamming so started watching out the window. There were a few kids walking up from the neighborhood, however, mostly it was cars pulling up, hitting the houses with lights on, jumping back in the car and driving to the next street. Those neighbors reporting trick or treaters averaged 30ish kids. One street, about 2 miles over reported over 700 kids. They are in a more affluent community. It was unusually cold here in north Dallas though. Things have changed a lot since I was a kid and I don't think it's as safe for trick or treaters or for residents anymore. We had a home invasion in the DFW by two persons in clown masks who tied up and robbed a couple, among other vandalisms and a child hit by a car. There are so many churches, neighborhoods and community centers that offer parties, trunk or treat, and other fun celebrations that I think kids going door to door should be discontinued and people should just participate in these group events.

We always go out to dinner on Halloween night. Just our tradition. We prepare personalized TorT buckets for the kids in our neighborhood. The bucket consists of a few trinkets (toy, glow sticks), big size and mini size candy treats, toothpaste. We deliver them directly prior to our dinner departure. Kids, parents and we love it this way.

toothpaste?? lolol

Back
Top Bottom