Happily fixed my dryer…and the vent…

You might not need to disassemble the duct/tube. Take a look at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Holikme-Clea...ywords=dryer+vent+brush&qid=1642177640&sr=8-5

I bought it and it works great! Cheap and pretty easy to use. Highly effective in my 20' duct that includes a 90 degree turn.

Thanks. Great tip. I’m gonna order one and I still might need to take the vent apart in a few places but this tool should make it easier. At least my vent runs down to the basement and horizontal from there. Much easier I think compared to having vent higher than dryer discharge.

How about air compressor or leaf blower to clean out the vent?

Careful with that!

It's popular on youtube (because it sounds like so much fun!), but I've heard people say the high pressure can blow a joint apart, and if that joint is hidden, you'll be blowing hot, moist, CO laden air into your house. Might create a mold problem, or kill someone.

If you can see the duct the entire way, it might be worth a cautious try.

Mine goes through a tight loop, than a straight shot out. I got it cleaned myself after we moved in (a brush as linked earlier), but next year I'll make it easy to disconnect one section so I can just reach through that tight loop, and then go straight out.

-ERD50

Careful with that!

It's popular on youtube (because it sounds like so much fun!), but I've heard people say the high pressure can blow a joint apart, and if that joint is hidden, you'll be blowing hot, moist, CO laden air into your house. Might create a mold problem, or kill someone.

Mine goes through a tight loop, than a straight shot out. I got it cleaned myself after we moved in (a brush as linked earlier), but next year I'll make it easy to disconnect one section so I can just reach through that tight loop, and then go straight out.

-ERD50
Good thing I did not consult with YouTube when I cleaned mine. In my case it started out as a simple task to replace the wornout vent and eventually turned into some deep cleaning work.

After removing the aged and brittle plastic vent, I found an empty bird nest inside the duct. I was surprised that the house did not burn down from that.

A 10min job became an hour to pull out the dryer from the inside of the house, and disassemble the clamps inorder to remove the duct. I didn't want to bring out the blower for a 5ft duct so I just dumped all the twigs out and put on my gloves and did the brushing and wiping until the duct tube looked clean inside.

One thing I noticed was the new vent I got from Home Depot came with a metal mesh behind the door. The instructions said to remove it if the vent is used for the dryers. So I did. Having that mesh is going to be a serious fire hazard with all the lint getting blocked and accumulated over time.

Last edited:
Careful with that!

-ERD50

You don't blow the dust out. You do it from outside the house and suck the dust out using the intake on the leaf blower and it vents the dust outside.
Also works on pellet stoves pipes.

Back
Top Bottom