Has anyone rented a car in France?

We rented from AutoEurope also. GPS would be good to have and probably although we just used preprinted out Google directions plus Michelin maps. Maybe someone else mentioned above, but you can buy a European GPS card from Garmin and you might call them to confirm how to do this (assuming you already own a unit). We are going to the UK but I've opted for just a road atlas for this one week rental.

Hopefully you have one of those Visa cards that gives free auto insurance. Our Chase Sapphire has this and also AMEX does too. You must use the card for all auto rental fees to get the insurance.

We have always used AutoEurope or their sister agency (in the same location in Maine) Kemwel. They are great to deal with as they are USA based and the rental is in US dollars. For peace of mind we pay with our AMEX which has premium auto rental protection - $25 per rental.

We will be in France at the end of May and this time around Kemwel was cheaper.

Bon Chance!

Suggest Auto Europe. If you rent on their website from the States you may get a better price - we did. We are headed over for the month of April to the South. GPS a must. Garmin has a database updated in 2012 that is just for France. We have a Garmin that came with all North America and Europe preloaded. Got it some years ago and have been able to recently update it for this trip for about $25 - check Amazon.

By the way, you can also get a good deal on a sim card from LeFrenchMobile. They will mail it to you in the States for about $25 with a $15 usage credit. Lets you hit the ground running...or driving...

M

+1. We bought our GPS in france for like 100 euros and got a good chunk of our money back selling it on ebay when we returned. I rented a car from Gare du Nord in Paris and drove out during rush hour. Thanks to the GPS, it went flawlessly and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I just got back from Israel where I cheaped out on the GPS. Never again. The price is well worth keeping my marriage in tact. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom