Has the government shutdown affected you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoJay

Full time employment: Posting here.
>>>If the moderators feel this topic breaches policy, please accept my apologies and remove the thread.<<<

I was walking around today and had the thought, "Is the government still shut down?" and I realized that I literally haven't noticed any change in my daily life. Just curious what affect it's had on others?

No it hasn’t effected us either.

I thought about filing an FTC claim against a bank then I heard the FTC claim filing website is closed for business. So not affected because I didn't actually attempt to file a claim, but I might file the claim eventually and be inconvenienced by the shutdown.

My daughter said she couldn't get some research from a federal website because the govt is shut down. I assume she got the data elsewhere because she got her project done.

So I'd say the shutdown hasn't impacted me a bit personally.

Last edited:
Haven't noticed it at all. I suspect most Americans probably don't.

Yes. I'm with a group that maintains a section of the Appalachian Trail, and we are not allowed to work on it during the shutdown while the park rangers are off. There is still a section blocked with downed trees from a recent ice storm. Another trail I tried to hike today was also blocked. I don't know who maintains it, and whether they are just slow or prevented from doing work.

The Blue Ridge parkway I would often take into town is also still closed. They hadn't quite got all of the downed trees off of it when the shutdown came. It probably would be open by now.

Hard to say what lasting damage is being done to parks due to lack of maintenance. Maybe not much. We'll see.

I haven't filed taxes yet so I'm not affected by them not processing refunds, but I suppose it'll back up and my eventual refund will be slowed.

Can't think of anything else affecting me right now. In a past shutdown there was a trail race I was involved with that was not allowed during the shutdown. Maybe not a big deal to some, but a lot of runners had planned all year for this 100 miler and it was a major letdown.

One of my coworkers is supposed to travel to the Library of Congress next week to register copyrights for a year's worth of our work.

I tried to find out today whether or not the Library is affected by the shutdown. My guess is that it is, because it is located in several federal buildings, but I was unable to determine one way or the other.

This is an inconvenience for us, but it pales in comparison to the real, day-to-day financial toll and stress experienced by the workers who are going unpaid at present.

No effect at all. If it wasn't for the constant reminder in the news cycle, I would never know.

no affect on me. I fly on Fri so TSA may be backed up. Although for all the press on the agents calling in sick, from what I see the back-ups are very few. Planning to visit a National Park next week. Right now it is open, just no ranger events, gift shop, etc. I don't expect it will change if shutdown continues and my travel plans have not changed.

The shutdown hasn’t affected us yet. Went through TSA during the shutdown without a problem. Now thinking of going to the Grand Canyon for some hiking. The state of Arizona makes sure that the Grand Canyon is open during shutdowns. And we want to go to both Bush presidential libraries in late March, so the powers that be better put an end to the shutdown before then.

Some government operation continues on temporary or alternate sources of funds. Those funds will run out as the year goes on. During a shutdown many gov't workers are disallowed from working even if they want to. If the shutdown were saving money there'd be a good side to it, but as in prior shutdowns the workers will almost certainly receive backpay for the time they did not work.

I want to go to Carlsbad Caverns. I'm hanging in a Texas state park for a while, hoping I can get into the caves this week.

Some government operation continues on temporary or alternate sources of funds. Those funds will run out as the year goes on. During a shutdown many gov't workers are disallowed from working even if they want to. If the shutdown were saving money there'd be a good side to it, but as in prior shutdowns the workers will almost certainly receive backpay for the time they did not work.

But just think everyday they are not there is one less day they can mess something up.

Yes, but the effects are more noticeable among the businesses that are usually supported by the Fed workforce. I live in the DC area. My buddy drives for Lyft and business has dropped off. My barber's family opened a little cafe just before the holidays and business went to zero after New Year's which he attributes to the shutdown. I stopped into my favorite diner for breakfast today and it was nearly empty.....waitress mentioned the shutdown impacting business.

I want to go to Carlsbad Caverns. I'm hanging in a Texas state park for a while, hoping I can get into the caves this week.

Me also. We have hotel reservations in Carlsbad in Feb. I hope the situation is resolved by then.

No, or at least not yet. I was still able to make my 4th quarter estimated tax payment on line last week. And the federal tax forms are available on line, even if the 2-sided ones won't appear in libraries, for example. I have been using the fillable pdf forms the last few years. If this continues into late March and into April, what will happen when people start mailing in their returns?

We have 4 Section 8 tenants - rent got paid on 12/31 for January, guess we'll see if the gov comes through for February. My sister runs an agency that reimburses lots of private childcare providers for providing healthy meals. Word has been passed down to her that funding for that may vanish next month. Going to be a bunch of low-mid income Moms suddenly getting less for the daycare they provide.

>>>If the moderators feel this topic breaches policy, please accept my apologies and remove the thread.<<<

I was walking around today and had the thought, "Is the government still shut down?" and I realized that I literally haven't noticed any change in my daily life. Just curious what affect it's had on others?

I think it affected me positively. Everyone else must have been scared to submit their passport for renewal in case of stuck in purgatory so I got my renewal back in about three weeks, including Christmas/NY !

I don't think this forum is the place to bash federal workers. There are many Federal retirees and workers on this thread. The OP did not ask your opinion of your fellow members of this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom