Have you stayed overnight on a train?

itsmyparty said:
Thanks RunningBum & Galaxy Boy for your link and sharing of experience on trains. Almost decided to go....I'm still struggling with the price tag of $9M+ for 9 days - but my DH says, can't take it with you so might as well enjoy! We did experience wonderful dome cars in Alaska when on a Princes land/cruise....if we do this, we'll experience what its like to 'sleep' on a train!! Thanks again everyone.

Although it may be a good decision to go on the trip, I find that phrases like "You can't take it with you," should not be given credence when deciding on spending. It is a non-argument that curtails rational decision making. True you can't take it with you, but you may later regret not having that money for something else when you are still alive.

Other phrases:

You deserve it
It's only money
What's the point of having money if you don't spend it?
You only live once

I have taken VIA from Toronto to Vancouver in a roomette and also from San Francisco to Seattle on Amtrak. I would recommed them both. The roomette offers privacy unlike sleeper cars. A nap during a boring stretch is easy in the afternoon.

For those of you who have traveled by train: our trip will be about 40 hours (two nights). I was thinking $20 tip (total) to the porter (that's probably not the new term). Is that too low?

For those of you who have traveled by train: our trip will be about 40 hours (two nights). I was thinking $20 tip (total) to the porter (that's probably not the new term). Is that too low?

Depends on the service. The Viarail website used to recommend $5/day.

I will admit that I wasn't impressed by the on board service when I took the train. I was basically left to my own devices - had to set up my own bed (they usually do it for you) - never got the wake up service I asked for - had to beg for soap and shampoo and eventually went and found the supply cupboard.

I didn't tip for that trip.

Wow, not good service at all. Didn't someone else say they were threatened for using a pillow? Definitely no tip for that!!

If you look at the ViaRail Express Deals right now, the fare from Vancouver to Jasper for an economy seat is $119.50. For a 2-room sleeper, it is $460.50.

There are usually deals like this available - if you can hold out for them.

$20 is what I tipped the attendant at the end of a run. I believe that's what most others were tipping also. I also left a small tip at the diner with each meal.

I agree that it depends on the service. I found that service varied depending on the crew aboard a particular run. I believe you'll be catching the Heartland Flyer on one of it's southbound stops? I was a bit disappointed with the service on that leg. You'll be spending the first night at the San Antonio switching station. Overnight, your sleeper car will be linked up with the west bound Sunset Limited Train.
The attendants aboard the Limited were very good. The same group of attendants were also aboard the return leg. Once back aboard the north bound Flyer again, the crew had changed and were probably the best on the entire journey.

Last edited:
All this talk of train travel makes me want to book a trip

Buried in all the various options, there are also North American Rail Passes and Canada Rail Passes. Also very good bargains.

These are #2 and 3 on my bucket list.

$20 is what I tipped the attendant at the end of a run. I believe that's what most others were tipping also. I also left a small tip at the diner with each meal.

I agree that it depends on the service. I found that service varied depending on the crew aboard a particular run. I believe you'll be catching the Heartland Flyer on one of it's southbound stops? I was a bit disappointed with the service on that leg. You'll be spending the first night at the San Antonio switching station. Overnight, your sleeper car will be linked up with the west bound Sunset Limited Train.
The attendants aboard the Limited were very good. The same group of attendants were also aboard the return leg. Once back aboard the north bound Flyer again, the crew had changed and were probably the best on the entire journey.

Thanks for the information. Our train is scheduled to leave HOS around 9:50pm. We've made arrangements to park in a secure parking garage in the Theater District.

I need to remember to take $1s and $5s to tip with the meals. Even though meals are included in our room rate, we're going to tip them the same way we would in a regular restaurant.

Hopefully we'll be going through the mountains during daylight. Does this train parallel closer to I10 or I40?

Thanks for the information. Our train is scheduled to leave HOS around 9:50pm. We've made arrangements to park in a secure parking garage in the Theater District.

I need to remember to take $1s and $5s to tip with the meals. Even though meals are included in our room rate, we're going to tip them the same way we would in a regular restaurant.

Hopefully we'll be going through the mountains during daylight. Does this train parallel closer to I10 or I40?
Sorry, not sure what 'HOS' is. Houston?

It runs south of I-10 by quite a bit. You'll cross the Pecos river gorge near the Mexican border. Somewhat unnerving since they slow the train for photo ops as they cross. Amtrak usually sends booklets showing the exact routes. This may help as far as the Sunset Limited run.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServer?blobcol=urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1249200448188&blobheader=image%2Fgif

I should add that west of El Paso, there will be places where the train will parallel I-10 for short distances. For the most part though, it's cross country.

Last edited:
Sorry, not sure what 'HOS' is. Houston?

It runs south of I-10 by quite a bit. You'll cross the Pecos river gorge near the Mexican border. Somewhat unnerving since they slow the train for photo ops as they cross. Amtrak usually sends booklets showing the exact routes. This may help as far as the Sunset Limited run.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobS...&blobwhere=1249200448188&blobheader=image/gif

I should add that west of El Paso, there will be places where the train will parallel I-10 for short distances. For the most part though, it's cross country.
Houston. You said Amtrak "sends" booklets - do I need to request one or are they provided on the train? I'm happy to hear we'll be away from the interstate west of El Paso. I've seen enough of the countryside from I10. :cool:

It runs south of I-10 by quite a bit. You'll cross the Pecos river gorge near the Mexican border. Somewhat unnerving since they slow the train for photo ops as they cross.
ETX, to give you and idea of what Avalon is referring to, here is a photo of the Hwy 90 bridge across the Pecos. This bridge is a few miles south of the railroad bridge.

Attachments

• DSC00950.jpg
    DSC00950.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 4
Houston. You said Amtrak "sends" booklets - do I need to request one or are they provided on the train? I'm happy to hear we'll be away from the interstate west of El Paso. I've seen enough of the countryside from I10. :cool:
I requested any info I might need when I made reservations, and received three booklets by mail. One was general info on Amtrak car options and room layouts. Another was a time schedule of all stops on the route. The third shows all Amtrak lines and general info on those.

We just got back from California. This was our first time on Amtrak and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We had a bedroom both ways (from Houston to LA and back again) and decided that was the only way we would ever travel. We had the privacy of having our own room with our own ventilation and temperature controls, the comfort of a larger room (bedrooms versus roomettes), and the convenience of having our own lavatory, toilet, and shower. The meals were outstanding and included in the price of the room. We tipped at each meal and also gave the room attendant $20 when we got off the train in LA and again in Houston. We were fortunate enough to have the same room attendant both directions.

The train ride was wonderful. Going to LA we kicked back and enjoyed the scenery or read books. Another benefit of having our own room was no one was sneezing or coughing on us. That being said, we were both sick with bad colds and slept most of the way back to Houston. Our car attendant brought us meals so we didn't have to worry about being out in the general public and infecting anyone. Bedrooms are definitely the most convenient way to travel whether sick or well.

I was surprised at the difference in train stations between Texas and California. The Houston train station is a shabby little temporary building erected in the 1950s and Amtrak has not made any strides to improve it. The parking lot is a pothole disgrace. None of this is the local station's problem to solve - it's for the Amtrak honchos to fix. We left our car at a parking garage in the Theater District because we didn't feel comfortable leaving it at the train station. Even though several passengers got on and off in Houston, Amtrak could improve their ridership numbers if they put a little effort into this station and the parking situation.

The California stations were large, nice, modern, attractive, and offered overnight parking in a wrought iron fenced area at most stations. Security cameras were everywhere.

I booked the train reservations about six months before our trip. We had a bit of flexibility in our travel dates so I was able to get pretty good room rates. The prices start going up as the rooms get sold. There is a discount for age 62 and up on seats; but, not on rooms.

This was a very pleasant experience and we will take the train again.

I've not traveled on VIA so no info but I have traveled on Amtrak in roomettes and also overnight trips with just a seat, and it is just "borderline" to me whether the additional cost is worth it. But never, EVER, get in the last car of the train, it get's whipsawed around like crazy and sleeping is impossible.

Years ago, I took overnight trains all over Africa. I went to Cape Town, Victoria Falls, Dar Es Salaam and a few other places by train---always in sleeper compartments. The trains are slow, but beautiful and cheap. Even today, it is just $12 US for a first class sleeper compartment to Victoria Falls. http://www.seat61.com/Zimbabwe.htm

If you plan a trip to Africa, you may consider including a train trip in your plans.

Yes, I traveled as a young child with my mom and four other siblings from PA to CA. We were poor and slept in the chairs. It was a great adventure though. I would like to do a long train trip again.

Years ago, I took overnight trains all over Africa. I went to Cape Town, Victoria Falls, Dar Es Salaam and a few other places by train---always in sleeper compartments. The trains are slow, but beautiful and cheap. Even today, it is just $12 US for a first class sleeper compartment to Victoria Falls. http://www.seat61.com/Zimbabwe.htm

If you plan a trip to Africa, you may consider including a train trip in your plans.

Welcome, Delaney. Why don't you start a "Hi I am" thread and introduce yourself? We already know you like to travel. Tell us a little more.

Overnight trains in Europe are easy and convenient. The ones we used boarded late in the evening, say 10 pm and arrived in the morning. On a couple of trips, our compartment mates invited us to their family home for dinner in our destination city.

As I recall, we gave our passports to the porter, so that we would not be woken up at border crossings.

Of course, you are doing overnight trains because they are cheaper. They are not the fast intercity trains that take only a few hours, but instead are the mail-trains that go slow and stop to pick up mail and freight. Since you are sleeping, who cares?

In May, DW & I will be taking the Amtrak Coast Starlight from Northern California to Seattle, then via bus up to Vancouver.

This will be an overnight ( 24 hour ) journey, but because the seats are about the same width as a business class transpacific flight ( that I was so used to in my working years ), I know it'll be OK.

We'll make sure we are fully equipped with food/snacks/drinks at the beginning of the journey. I checked the menu online, and it was not particularly great or cheap, so we'll bag our own.

First time on this route, and looking forward to it. Cost for the round trip: just under US$200 per person, after applying AAA discounts.

don't expect great sleep

I took the train from Winnepeg to Banff. Winter. Rockies in the daytime....awesome. But the train stops and starts all night long, and you wake up every time they stop or start. Chugging along, with the clickety clack, no problem...off to sleep. But then they side track and stop, waking you up. About the time you get back to sleep, they start up again! repeat every half hour all night long.

Just got back from a trip to Cambodia & Viet Nam. In VN took three night trains, cheap way to go. One trip would be a 'cultural experience' three was just too much. Hard to sleep and you don't want to hear about the restrooms. Good thing there is no way to make an olfactory attachment file to email.

Took an overnight train trip in China. Had a room with 2 beds on either side of a small table. Pull down beds above each bed (empty). Had plenty of blankets. Western toilet down the hall (non too clean) and a separate little wash room also down the hall for face washing and tooth brushing. I slept well but awoke before dawn, and was glad I did. The scenery was just amazing. Well worth any discomfort!

Best source for all things train travel is seat61.com. Here is the Canada page: Train travel across Canada | Train schedules, routes, fares & information

Done 4 overnight train trips in Thailand and Malaysia. Sure beats a bus even though it's slower and more expensive because I can get up and walk around whenever I want. Also night buses in Thailand don't have the best safety record in the world.

Back
Top Bottom