Have you taken a sabbatical?

As a side note, I don't know if this is always true, but in my case, I would keep my health/dental/vision protection during a sabbatical (pre-paying corresponding fees, my part, not the employer's part). So it wouldn't hurt to take a sabbatical for 3 or 6 months, come back for a couple of weeks, resign and early retire... With the backup option of actually resuming work if a) turns out you have a change of mind b) circumstances change (personal stuff, stock market crash, whatever).

And yes, I am planning to do something like that...

Probably best for me to forget the sabbatical, just keep working a bit longer, continue with our 75% savings rate. Then, when the time is right, my sabbatical will be a permanent one. :dance:

I took a 12 month sabbatical (paid benefit for 7 years) at my last major long term work position.

It was a good time but sadly being away from the company that long really alienated me from my peers. I came back to a new place and then began my slow and long descent into not wanting to deal with it anymore.

A sabbatical sounds really nice. I wish I could just take 3 months off. I'm getting pretty tired. I've only got 12 months until my ER eligibility date, though, so I guess I'll keep putting one foot in front of the other. I don't think my company offers sabbaticals anyhow. I've never seen someone take one.

Back
Top Bottom